One of those 'dunno, but it works for me ' pass-on comments

Old August 10th 03, 05:04 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Default One of those 'dunno, but it works for me ' pass-on comments

This just in from an amigo across the waters no less and it's the old
problem with the errant mouse freeze thing. In my other machine, I
simply gave up trying to find the culprit [tried everything!] and after
2 hours or so..it started its freeze bit. Amigo says to me "...try this
Doc because it just 'may' work but I honestly don't know why.... ." OK,
so the plan was this for that errant mouse freeze when all else seems to
fail-- go to mouse properties and look for the pointer tails...that's
right...the pointer tails...just use the slider enough to activate the
thing [especially if those mouse tails tend drive you buggy] but the
theory [??] being this: once this is activated it [allegedly] sets-up
a sort of behind the scene 'don't sleep' signal [I though the mouse
scroll wheel would do that but it didn't!] to the mouse and when I tried
it, the mouse performed fine! Go figure! The 'why' of it? Dunno! Worked
though on my other machine so I'm happy!

If I've learned one thing about these electronic marvels over the years
[I can trace my machine roots back to a VIC20/C-64 and that 'amazing'
Tandy 8080!], 'anything' is possible as to a possible cure because there
are so many variations [innards wise and gear therein] in each
individual machine that often what may sound somewhat far-fetched can
actually effect a 'cure' but for reasons that defy any logical explanation!

I read one poster in the group this very evening talking about the
anti-aliasing and isotropic filter settings..and normally they can be a
nice help to a less 'jagged' and smooth screen YET on my system I had to
take them out [via the Nvidia task bar icon] or I got the 2D black
screen and that was with the latest det drivers [either 44.67 or the
beta 45.20 for Nvidia]. Again, go figure!

Yet I know another sim amigo who says that whatever he does, I mean
whatever he does and the guy is generally no slouch on program 'bug'
problem solving , when he brings up Helge Schroeder's quite excellent
FlightNav program, ANY version, freebie 3.0 or the later shareware
versions, he gets the full map, no problem with the second monitor drag
and the little plane icon and topographical features appear and the
mouse will duly tell him what those various dots and map icons represent
with full data and info BUT he has never been able to get the
accompanying and normally in-place [without using the mouse] map 'TEXT'
of those airports, VORS, NDB's, usw. to come in regardless of setting
the requisite in/out buttons or the +/- zoom sizing thing ! In effect,
he gets no text whatsoever 'unless' he uses the mouse...fine if you're
familiar with the area but a drag if your not and all you see are
umpteen dots and x's sans text. Mystery! Anyone?

And finally this-- Word from Chicago is that a 'compromise' may be
worked out with 'His Imperial Majesty and Grand Pish-posh' Mayor Daley
II about those 'in your face' Meigs trenches of his [*See latest
'September' issue of 'Private Pilot' magazine for the follow-up story]
so Meigs just 'may' be in action again as the requisite balms and oils
are applied to Daley II [read: ego] in re certain O'Hare expansion ops
so that good ol' Meigs may get a reprieve. Again.

Doc Tony