Condor 2 v 2.0.5 with VR Support

Old December 22nd 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Condor 2 v 2.0.5 with VR Support

Hi Condor 2 Soaring Flight Simulator Fans

Today the Condor 2 team announced the release of Condor update 2.0.5 with native support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (using Revive). This update is free for all Condor 2 users.

Also released today is our first glider with sustainer motor - the ASG 29 Es 18m in 2 variants with and without motor.

If you don't already own it, you can order Condor 2 he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/condor2.htm

The ASG 28 Es Add-On sailplane is available he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/condor2.htm#Condor2-ASG29Es

I also offer all the available Add-On sailplanes in a bundle for $88.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/condo...dOn-Sailplanes

If you already have Condor 2 installed, you can update it for free he
http://www.condorsoaring.com/downloads-2/

I don't know much yet about the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. Which one do experts recommend? What is "Revive"?

The idea of being able to look around while flying is very cool. I can't wait to try it!!!

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Old December 22nd 18, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:10:18 AM UTC, Paul Remde wrote:
[...]

Revive is a compatability layer to make Vive headsets work with software written for Oculus.

ReVive is here

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

Old December 23rd 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The idea of being able to look around while flying is very cool. I can't wait to try it!!!

You can already look around while flying in Condor 1 or 2 using an inexpensive TrackIR 5.
Old December 23rd 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

The idea of being able to look around while flying is very cool. I can't wait to try it!!!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback on how a VR headset feels to the pilot, particularly in regard to motion sickness. With the headset on, the brain doesn't get any 'stable' visual cues. Or maybe the brain adapts quickly. Dunno.

(Festive)cheers
DH
TX
Old December 23rd 18, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 7:38:27 PM UTC, wrote:
The idea of being able to look around while flying is very cool. I can't wait to try it!!!

You can already look around while flying in Condor 1 or 2 using an inexpensive TrackIR 5.

Its a completely different level of immersion with VR. You should try it.
Old December 24th 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi David,

I ordered and Oculus Rift and faster graphics card for my PC. I am really looking forward to trying Condor 2 with it in a few days. I'll post my review here. But, of course, I am biased because I sell Condor 2. Hopefully I also have a reputation of giving honest reviews of soaring products.

I found out that I needed to upgrade my PC's graphics card using the PC evaluation tool on the Oculus Rift web page he
https://www.oculus.com/rift/ - Scroll down to the section titled, "Recommended PC Specifications" and use the white "Download" button.

A direct link to the PC evaluation tool is he
https://ocul.us/compat-tool

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old December 24th 18, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:10:18 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
[...]

Any chance DJI goggles will work with this?
Old December 24th 18, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 1:48:38 AM UTC, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

It looks doubtful because I think they don't have head tracking.
Old December 24th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

[...]

DJI goggles have gyro head tracking, but the interface is wireless to the drone, so not sure it can be hacked...

Old December 29th 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Well, today I flew Condor 2 in VR using Oculus Rift. Wow!!! I'm surprised at how much "being immersed" in the environment makes you feel like you're sitting in the glider. I zoomed and landed at the Nephi, Utah airport and felt like I was there. Very cool!

I think young glider pilots especially will love the VR functionality of Condor 2. Anyone learning to fly gliders will find it much easier to land that fly aerotow too.

Note: I sell and support Condor 2. I don't have any plans to sell Oculus Rift.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.