Flying into Canada

Old March 16th 04, 04:33 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

Default Flying into Canada

I expect this question has been asked many times here....but here goes.

Exactly what, if anything, do I need if I want to fly into Canada?
Does the answer change if I want to land in Canada or if I am just
flying through their airspace? I expect to be on an IFR flight plan, so
I will already have a squawk code...if that helps.

The last time I contacted FSS, I got different answers everytime I
asked. I read on a previous thread that perhaps I need a radiotelephone
operators license, but that nobody will actually check for it. is that
right?

If I want to land in Canada, do I have to first land in some designated
port of entry to be inspected in some way? Do I have to land at some
U.S. inspection point on the way back to the U.S.?

Just to be concrete, I am flying from central Wisconsin to Maine this
weekend. I will likely fly over Canadian airspace. Then, when I get
there, I am considering a trip up to the Saint John/Bay of Fundy area.
If anyone knows a good airport up there, I would appreciate a pointer.

Thanks in advance!

-Sami
N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow III

Old March 16th 04, 12:29 PM
Dan Thompson

Great explanation. I would add a couple of nuances.

1. The AOPA/COPA info is a great start, but you have to call both Canadian
and US Customs to verify procedures, operating hours and locations of the
airports of entry, because they frequently change and the AOPA info is not
necessarily current. I have gotten messed up a couple of times, for
example, finding out one customs office was no longer available on Sunday,
closed for the winter, etc.

2. Going to Canada is basically being on a DVFR or IFR flight plan, with ATC
squawk, and a toll-free phone call when you arrive. Coming back to the U.S.
is the full monty. The main thing I tell my passengers, who are often my
teenage children and their friends, is that it is "yes sir," "no sir," and
no jokes with the Customs Officer until it is clear that he is in the mood
for it.

3. There is no point in doing any paperwork ahead of time. It is quick to
fill it out on the spot, especially with the customs guy there to walk you
through it.

4. Also no need to buy a sticker ahead of time. The last two times I
crossed the border the customs office was out of stickers and they didn't
worry about it. The guy gave me an order form and said I could buy one by
mail if I want to; yeah right. Told me that a lot of agents think it is
ridiculous they have to be the first line of defense against an invasion
across our borders and sell these lousy stickers too.

5. The U.S. Customs guys are usually kind of cranky and scary. I think
these guys have their hands full with legitimate customs and smuggling
issues, like 18-wheelers full of smuggled cigarettes, ship containers of
counterfeit Levis, people arriving on airliners asking for political asylum,
and such, and having to take time out to go to the airport and "inspect"
returning U.S. citizens on their vacations in their private planes really is
a diversion from more important things they should be doing. The one
exception to this I have seen is Ft. Pierce, Florida, where a lot of little
private planes come in from the Bahamas and points further down that way,
and the customs office is manned all the time. Those guys probably have the
best job in the U.S. Customs Service, and they act like it.

wrote in message
news

On 15-Mar-2004, "O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

Exactly what, if anything, do I need if I want to fly into Canada?
Does the answer change if I want to land in Canada or if I am just
flying through their airspace? I expect to be on an IFR flight plan, so
I will already have a squawk code...if that helps.

First of all, the simple stuff. Discrete transponder codes are required

for
cross-border VFR flights, but, as you correctly surmise, if you are IFR

that
is not an issue. If you are just flying over Canadian airspace and not
landing in Canada, customs is also not an issue. However, if you use
Canadian ATC services (which are semi-privatized), you will later receive

bill for a few bucks, payable by credit card.

If you want to land in Canada, you need to do so first at an airport of
entry, i.e. one with customs service. Canadian customs is really fairly
simple. Before departing the US (at least 1 hour in advance) call

Canadian
customs at 1-888-226-7277 (888-CANPASS) to advise them of your intentions.
They will want to know stuff like the aircraft number, point of departure,
airport of arrival, ETA, number and nationality of occupants, etc. When
filing your US flight plan, under "comments" note that you will require
customs service. (This really doesn't do anything, but it's apparently
still in the regs.) When you arrive at the Canadian destination, ask

ground
control for taxi to customs. (At uncontrolled fields, there should be
signs.) How customs is handled from that point seems to vary by location,
but the process is fairly painless and free. I strongly recommend that

you
bring passports for all aboard -- not STRICTLY required for US citizens,

but
makes things much easier. Customs will give you a registration number

that
you should write down and keep in the airplane. This provides evidence of
clearance if any issues arise.

Unfortunately, returning to the US is not nearly as simple. First of all,
you have to alert US customs in advance where and when you will be

arriving.
It has to be an airport of entry, but such a designation does not mean

that
customs service will be there, even during normal business hours.
Furthermore, unlike Canadian customs, there is no central number to call.
Instead, you have to call the customs office at the airport you intend to
land at and negotiate a time of arrival. What's the phone number for that
customs office? You would think that the US Customs service would make

that
information available online, but I've never found it. Fortunately, AOPA
members can find a complete listing at
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/guides/custaprt.html. This calling

ahead
can sometimes be challenging because, as I noted, the customs offices at
smaller airports are often unmanned. Then, you need to arrive precisely

at
the negotiated time, give or take a few minutes, to assure that the

customs
agent will be there. File a Canadian flight plan, and be sure to check

the
"ADCUS" (advise customs) box.

When you arrive for US Customs inspection, you will have to fill our two
lengthy forms. Customs charges an annual $25 fee for each airplane, for
which you get a very ugly decal that you are supposed to plaster on the
outside of your airplane near the passenger door. If you don't have the
decal, the customs agent will collect the $25 and you will be sent the

decal
by mail for any future (same year) use.

The bill for Canadian ATC services will come some time later. For light
aircraft, the charges will typically be around US$13 or so.

--
-Elliott Drucker

Old March 16th 04, 12:52 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Dan Thompson" said:
2. Going to Canada is basically being on a DVFR or IFR flight plan, with ATC

^^^^
You only need DVFR if you're going through an ADIZ. Going the normal way
over a land border, a regular VFR flight plan suffices.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Either way, it'll remind the clued that there's only one letter
Old March 16th 04, 12:54 PM
Paul Tomblin

http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/f...o_canada.shtml

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You're nicer than I. I was thinking "Mark, would you recognize a clue
Old March 16th 04, 01:04 PM
Nathan Young

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:33:27 -0600, "O. Sami Saydjari"
wrote:

[...]

I've overflown Canada before (Chicago to Niagara), as long as you are
on a VFR or IFR flightplan, and talking to ATC, that's all there is to
it. No additional paperwork (FAA, customs, or otherwise).

Canadian ATC may send you a bill for the usage of their services,
although they typically only do that if you land at a Canadian
facility.

Flying from the US and landing in Canada is a different story, but
I've never done that, so I'll let someone who is familiar walk through
the details.

-Nathan

Old March 16th 04, 03:02 PM
Mike Rapoport

I believe that Canada also requires proof of insurance.

Mike
MU-2

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
Documentation:

From the EAA: "The US and Canada have agreed not to require US or
Canadian pilots to have a restricted radio-telephone license or an
Aircraft Radio Station License."

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuil...0Aircraft.html

From AOPA: The AOPA/COPA Guide to Cross-Border Operations (United
States/Canada) - Arrival Requirements:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/tr...ada/can02.html

Aircraft Documentation

Aircraft registration certificate (temporary "pink slip" registration
forms are not valid for international flights);
Aircraft airworthiness certificate (for aircraft with a C of A);
Aircraft operating limitations (including the "Standardized Validation
of a Special Airworthiness Certificate - Experimental, for the Purpose
of Operating a United States-Registered Amateur-Built Aircraft in
Canadian Airspace);
Weight and balance information;
FAA 337 form when the aircraft has been fitted with extra fuel tanks
in the baggage or passenger compartments.

Don

Old March 16th 04, 03:07 PM
Eric Rood

Paul Tomblin wrote:

http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/f...o_canada.shtml

Paul, your link "Another flying club tackles the same problem" no longer
works.

Old March 16th 04, 03:11 PM
Bob Chilcoat

I believe the sticker is only good for three months. Ours shows an
expiration date that is long before we plan on making another trip, so we
didn't bother to stick it on. It DOES need to be stuck on if you want to
use it again. The guy at Burlington said that they expect to see it stuck
on next time we arrive.

Old March 16th 04, 03:49 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:

http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/f...o_canada.shtml

Paul, your link "Another flying club tackles the same problem" no longer
works.

Fixed now.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If you refer to a woman as any form of waterborne African mammal then a quick

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
Progress on Flying Car Steve Dufour General Aviation 5 December 19th 03 03:48 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM
Flying from US to Canada Aarfy Owning 8 July 22nd 03 06:13 AM