ARROW INVESTMENT

Old March 17th 04, 10:06 PM
MARK

Default ARROW INVESTMENT

I HAVE INSTALLED THE FOLLOWING IN MY 1975 ARROW.
GARMIN 430, GARMIN 340, GARMIN 327 TRANS AND GDL FOR WEATHER DATALINK. I
AM REMOVING MY ADF, DME,. AM I THROWING TO MUCH AWAY ON THIS ARROW? IT
HAS 4400 TOTAL TIME

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old March 17th 04, 11:12 PM
Jack Cunniff

MARK writes:

I HAVE INSTALLED THE FOLLOWING IN MY 1975 ARROW.
GARMIN 430, GARMIN 340, GARMIN 327 TRANS AND GDL FOR WEATHER DATALINK. I
AM REMOVING MY ADF, DME,. AM I THROWING TO MUCH AWAY ON THIS ARROW? IT
HAS 4400 TOTAL TIME

Mark, hit the CAPS LOCK button before typing quite so much. We call it
"shouting", and it should be avoided unless intentional.

Re your query - it depends. I have an Arrow, and would love to have that
panel in my plane. I plan to keep my plane for years, so am not overly
concerned about the investment in my panel. If you were going to sell your
plane next year, you might hold onto the ADF and DME, and put them
back in (with another nav/com) and pull the new stuff out. That way, you
can put the Garmin stuff into another plane.

The Piper Owner Society had an Arrow on the cover a few months ago. A 1972
Arrow, owned by the #2 guy at Autodesk, the makers of AutoCAD. He had done
-everything- to that plane and its panel. It's still not a "new" Piper,
but he has it just the way he wants it. Definitely overkill for most
people, but customizing is a passion for some people. If you are happy
with your upgrades, that's super.

Best of luck!

-Jack
http://world.std.com/~jmac/Arrowprofile.jpg
Old March 17th 04, 11:59 PM

On 17-Mar-2004, Jack Cunniff wrote:

Re your query - it depends. I have an Arrow, and would love to have that
panel in my plane. I plan to keep my plane for years, so am not overly
concerned about the investment in my panel. If you were going to sell your

plane next year, you might hold onto the ADF and DME, and put them
back in (with another nav/com) and pull the new stuff out. That way, you
can put the Garmin stuff into another plane.

I, too, have an Arrow, a '79 Arrow IV. I agree with Jack that if you like
the airplane, and it meets your needs, then an investment in avionics
upgrades makes sense. This is particularly true if (a) you fly a lot of
IFR, and (b) you plan on keeping the airplane a while. Just remember that
you will recover very little of that investment if and when you sell the
plane.

By the way, as long as you have your checkbook open, and if you do in fact
fly IFR a lot, then I'd strongly recomment that you get an electric backup
AI or a backup vacuum system. All the fancy radios won't help much if you
can't keep the airplane upright and flying straight after a vacuum pump
failure.
--
-Elliott Drucker

Old March 18th 04, 12:57 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
MARK wrote:
I HAVE INSTALLED THE FOLLOWING IN MY 1975 ARROW.
GARMIN 430, GARMIN 340, GARMIN 327 TRANS AND GDL FOR WEATHER DATALINK. I

The first question is whether you could ever find a buyer for that Arrow.
If it's in otherwise nice condition that panel doesn't seem like overkill
for a fast single. As for how much you are throwing away, well, figure
out what the used value of all those bits are and add them up, and subtract
that from what you paid for the radios and installation, and that's about
what you lost. Probably 50%.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 18th 04, 02:07 AM

Haw!

You are asking the guy (me) who believes in the idiom... "he
who dies with the most toys WINS!"

Redundency is a major issue with me, boating, diving, flying..
Load the sucker up with the good stuff, maybe a backup vac pump as
well, .....

Keep the old riggin you removed, put it back in for the next
buyer if he/she does not want the good stuff.

You (and I ) loose 1/2 of the value when we take the stuff
home anyway, so enjoy!

Life is short, fly fast & safe!

Dave

Old March 18th 04, 02:16 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
MARK wrote:

I HAVE INSTALLED THE FOLLOWING IN MY 1975 ARROW.
GARMIN 430, GARMIN 340, GARMIN 327 TRANS AND GDL FOR WEATHER DATALINK. I
AM REMOVING MY ADF, DME,. AM I THROWING TO MUCH AWAY ON THIS ARROW? IT
HAS 4400 TOTAL TIME

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

For what it's worth, my club just bought a 1973 Arrow. In very rough
numbers, we paid about $65k for the plane, and immediately put another
$30k or so into brand new avionics (CNX-80 gps/nav/com, SL-30 nav/com,
fuel flow computer, etc). If experience is any guide, we'll be putting
3-400 hour a year on it.

There's no rational way to justify any money spent in GA on an economic
basis. Will the enjoyment you get out of the plane when you're done be
worth the money you put into it? Only you can answer that.
Old March 18th 04, 03:27 PM
Otis Winslow

I don't think that "investment" is the right word. It's just money you're
spending on something you like to do. There's other ways to spend the
same money on doing fun stuff and it would be gone. This way you
still have the toys to play with.

Old March 18th 04, 06:54 PM
Jeff

I dont think you are.
I have a turbo arrow III, last november I had a 430, 327 and ps engineering
audio panel and am/fm/cd player installed in it.

Old March 18th 04, 09:10 PM
PaulH

I just did something similar (GNS430, STEC 30, WX500) to my 69 model,
though lower hours TT. I did it because I enjoy the airplane. With
luck, I'll get half of it back when I sell it but will enjoy using it
in the meanwhile. I'm 67 with heart disease so the emphasis is on
having an enjoyable aircraft while I can still fly it.