Your thoughts on this 150 please

Old March 18th 04, 03:53 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Your thoughts on this 150 please

1971 Cessna 150
6200 TT
935 SMOH, 4200 TT on engine
Good paint & interior
Extras: EGT, panel-mounted Garmin Pilot III
New Narco NAV/COM and transponder in '98
No damage history (I checked)
All logs except for first two years.

I saw the plane today and everything looks good. Was not able to fly
due to OSH being IFR. I have decided to do the prebuy - owner will fly
it to MWC for me. If there are no squawks and I find nothing I don't
like in the test flight (unlikely) we have a verbal agreement at $18K.
Talked him down from $19K. Sound pretty kosher???
Old March 18th 04, 06:22 AM
MRQB

All logs except for first two years run a faa check on it see how many 337's
show up thats how sellers hide damage history they lose some of the logs &
337's or rip pages out trust me they do i ahve seen it in my ventures & have
a good pre buy done.

No damage history (I checked)? Did you look at the logs? what about the
first 2 years that are missing have a A & P check it out.

ink.net...

Old March 18th 04, 01:19 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 03:53:20 +0000, Paul Folbrecht wrote:

like in the test flight (unlikely) we have a verbal agreement at $18K.
Talked him down from $19K. Sound pretty kosher???

I did a VREF on it, didn't include any of the extra's since you didn't say
what model it was, but in any event if the newer Narco is the only radio
it's not going to affect the value much, the single probe EGT is mostly
worthless in the C150, I have one and know, the Garmin is nice but doesn't
add a lot of value. The vref came out as $17,565.36, if the paint is like
new it would be worth a little more. Many people consider VREF to be on
the high side, of course that's probably buyers, and sellers would differ.
So for what it's worth that's it.

Without seeing it I'd have a hard time deciding, sometimes you'll pay more
for a pristine plane, but with 2 years of missing logs I would say it's
priced a bit high, however the logs are at the beginning and the plane has
been around a long time so it's not likely anything is going to fall off
it and the missing logs are not as big an issue as it would be if it were
at the end. You're looking at a plane at the high end of the price scale
so keep it in mind as you examine it, this plane should be better than
average.

Old March 18th 04, 01:36 PM
Paul Folbrecht

I forgot to mention that I used aeroprice for a quote which said $17.3.
I passed this on to him. He won't go below $18K. You know what?
$700 is not a lot of money to pay for the convenience of having found a
place so close to me (I drove up there last night after work - not much
more than an hour).

He says it flies beautifully. Was annualed 11/03 and got new starter
clutch and vacuum. Compressions in the upper 70s then (I went through
the logs, of course). We shall see. The inspection shall tell all. I
mean, it damn well better.

Old March 18th 04, 02:24 PM
Otis Winslow

Pay the $99 and get AOPA to run a title search on it. Will look for liens,
registration
history, airworthiness history (to include incident/damage and 337s). I
looked at a
plane with an FAA report of an accident with substantial damage and found
absolutely
no mention of it in the logs or a 337 on it. You need to get the whole
picture and
make sure it all jives.

Old March 18th 04, 03:36 PM
Maule Driver

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
ink.net...
I forgot to mention that I used aeroprice for a quote which said $17.3.
I passed this on to him. He won't go below $18K. You know what?
$700 is not a lot of money to pay for the convenience of having found a
place so close to me (I drove up there last night after work - not much
more than an hour).

$18k sounds fine... until you complete the pre-buy and discount for
discrepancies. If there are *no* discrepancies it's probably worth it (or
you didn't get a good pre-buy inspection)

He says it flies beautifully.

C150s tend to do that...

Was annualed 11/03 and got new starter
clutch and vacuum. Compressions in the upper 70s then (I went through
the logs, of course). We shall see. The inspection shall tell all. I
mean, it damn well better.

Good Luck. Try not to fall in love

Old March 18th 04, 06:02 PM
Ben Jackson

In article . net,
Paul Folbrecht wrote:
$700 is not a lot of money to pay for the convenience of having found a
place so close to me

Absolutely. If you look at the costs of ferrying a 150 from even a
nearby state it's worth something to shop close to home. Not to mention
being able to have your own mechanic look at it.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 19th 04, 01:40 AM
Carl Orton

You can also go to Google, type in the N-number (with the N), and if there
are any NTSB accident reports on it, they'll pop up. It will also give you a
direct link to the FAA online aircraft registry database, so you can see
when the current owner took possession, if it has normal/utility
airworthiness cert, etc.

Old March 19th 04, 02:14 AM
Greg Hopp

Paul Folbrecht wrote in message link.net...
1971 Cessna 150
6200 TT
935 SMOH, 4200 TT on engine
Good paint & interior
Extras: EGT, panel-mounted Garmin Pilot III
New Narco NAV/COM and transponder in '98
No damage history (I checked)
All logs except for first two years.

I saw the plane today and everything looks good. Was not able to fly
due to OSH being IFR. I have decided to do the prebuy - owner will fly
it to MWC for me. If there are no squawks and I find nothing I don't
like in the test flight (unlikely) we have a verbal agreement at $18K.
Talked him down from $19K. Sound pretty kosher???

I have a '67G that was used as a trainer early in life. It has 5500
TT. I don't believe there's such a thing as NDH in a C150. Be very
skeptical.

Have a friend who is not a pilot look at it and point out flaws he
sees. I cannot believe the stuff I didn't see when my partner and I
looked at our plane.

Do you know how to check for end-play by grabbing the prop? At 935
you're probably ok, but check it. Also, check all the hing attach
points (such as where the elevator attaches to the plane at the
outboard points) to make sure there is no play. Move them up & down,
back & forth to see if the bushings are beat and need replacing.

There is an AD (likely) coming out to check for cracks in the rear
tail attach plate. Every mechanic who does 150's knows about it. I
believe it will be expensive to inspect and worse to repair.

Get a prebuy from an off-airport mechanic. Don't skip this part.

Good luck.

Greg H.