Escape hammer?

Old September 3rd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Escape hammer?

Anyone have a recommendation/source for an escape hammer to bust out
the canopy of a Tiger in case of a forced landing and jammed canopy?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 4th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BillJ

john smith wrote:
In article . net,
Michelle P wrote:

wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation/source for an escape hammer to bust out
the canopy of a Tiger in case of a forced landing and jammed canopy?

The escape hammers work well on glass but not plexaglass. You will need
an axe to get through the plexi.

Check with Ben Davisson (sic).
Back in the mid-1980's, someone published plans for a canopy breaking
tool. I thought Ben made some and was selling them.
It started out as a big rectangular piece of steel.
One half was shaped into a triangular dagger.
The other half was formed into a cylindrical handle with a guard between
the handle and the blade to prevent ones hand from slipping forward.

The Lancair/Columbia 300/350,etc. come standard with one mounted under
the seat. The idea is that the door opens UP, so if you are in an
accident upside down, you are stuck unless you can break the window. So
therefore a hammer comes for "free". Guess there is a way to find out
who makes it. Looks like an ice hammer maybe for mountain climbers.
Old September 5th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
LWG

I'll bet a standard drywall saw would work great. About 4:99 at Home Depot.
Plus, it would have many more uses for survival after you egress.

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation/source for an escape hammer to bust out
the canopy of a Tiger in case of a forced landing and jammed canopy?

--
Jim Pennino

The Canadian Chipmunk carries a Canadian Airforce Issued hatchet
(as in small axe). It is well secured and I check that carefully before
doing aeros in it:-)

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, rick

Old September 6th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert Little

Go to harborfreight.com and search "emergency". Three different tools came
up for auto extraction ranging from $4 to $10. I didn't see any like the
bubble ax that we carried in our AH-1 Cobra helicopters, though. Rob little
wrote in message
Anyone have a recommendation/source for an escape hammer to bust out
the canopy of a Tiger in case of a forced landing and jammed canopy?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

VETERANS!!! - less than 5 days - HAMMER GOOGLE!!! TrueAmerican Naval Aviation 9 November 9th 04 01:51 PM
Whereupon We Gave the Needle a Sharp Whack with a Brass Hammer jls Home Built 0 October 6th 04 07:47 PM
Hydroforming shops GaryP Home Built 5 July 21st 04 06:59 AM
Downloading Flying Music? Jay Honeck Home Built 59 February 4th 04 06:08 AM
'Escape from New York' trivia questions Stewart Kissel Soaring 12 January 19th 04 05:37 AM