"Cleared Straight-In Runway X; Report Y Miles Final"

Old August 14th 04, 07:57 PM
MariaSanguini

Due to some AOL-thing, I'm sure, I can't see Jim's full reply to my post, I can
only see the part quoted in Steven's reponse to Jim's response (that makes
sense, doesn't it??!!!).

"Jim Cummiskey" said:
Actually, ATC Doug has a theory WHY she felt it was
important for her to call it to my attention.

So you're arguing on "theory" now?

According to Doug, KPRC is a training facility, and they
have a lot of inexperienced controllers there undergoing
training.

Do you know for certain, or does Doug, that this IS one of those inexperienced
controllers? And not that they're all perfect, but does being relatively new or
inexperienced mean that THEY are "wrong" to mention something to a pilot that
they see might be a potential safety issue?

Doug thinks the controller was "pulling my chain"--

It's easy to make a judgment like that when you weren't there to see or hear it
all firsthand. It would be interesting to hear from the controller in question
rather than the Monday-morning quarterbackers. Has anyone asked THE CONTROLLER
why she was concerned enough to question your technique for flying a
straight-in approach?

"Steven P. McNicoll" said:
Some people just do not handle authority well, that may
be the case with this controller.

Yes, and it seems to also be the case with Jim!!!

Have you ever seen any documentation, either written or on instructional
videotapes, for private pilot students that describes making final approach ANY
OTHER WAY than by lining up the airplane with the extended runway centerline?
Does anyone teach students to fly two different pattern techniques, one when
there is someone else in the pattern and one when it is assumed that you are
alone?

Jim:
So, yes Maria. I am very concerned about "not being wrong"
when I fly. The consequences are too high.

They absolutely ARE, no argument there. But the bigger point is not whether it
is "wrong" to fly an angled approach or whether the controller was "wrong" to
call you on it - the point is that flying an angled final that you described is
obviously not what is commonly interpreted as "straight-in" final, it is not
the way flying final approach is taught, and it is not where other pilots would
expect another pilot who was instructed to make "straight-in" approach to be.
So unless there were some unique reason for doing so, whether it is "legal" or
not, why do it? I believe you said you initially called when you were 20 miles
out. God knows that's enough time to have lined yourself up with the centerline
if there wasn't some valid reason not to other than to save one or two minutes
of time.

The point is: if it IS perfectly proper procedure to fly "angled
finals" and report them as "finals," then shouldn't we pilots
began to do a little better job of scanning the entire final
quadrant vice only checking only the extended centerline?

NO ONE said or implied that ONLY the extended centerline should be checked vs.
the entire final quadrant. But as said in my previous post, when or if a pilot
in the pattern hears that there is traffic making extended "straight-in final",
the FIRST LOGICAL PLACE most will look IS down the extended runway centerline
for that traffic. I don't know about you, but unless there is some REALLY good
reason not to be, I prefer to be in the place where my or the ATC announcement
of my position says I am. For example, a pilot making left downwind almost
abeam the numbers who hears that there is an airplane on extended straight-in
final isn't going to FIRST look to their right to see if you're coming in at an
angle, they're going to FIRST look down the extended runway centerline to see
if they can spot you there. It isn't a matter of right or wrong, it's just
common sense and common logic since that's the way it is TAUGHT and that's the
way 90-something% (I'm sure) of pilots fly it under normal circumstances.

Steven:
But it's not proper procedure to fly "angled finals" and report
them as "finals". "Final" has a specific meaning and is defined
in the Pilot/Controller Glossary to ensure pilots are on the same
page when they use the term "final".

EXACTLY!!!

Jim:
So, it has nothing to do with the "semantics of the arguments."

Right, it has nothing to do with "semantics of the arguments" just as it has
nothing to do with being "right" or "wrong" - that's the whole point!

It has to do with coming up with jority of us DO understand that when the

controller says "straight-in final", they're talking about being lined up with
the extended runway centerline. I don't know where you commonly fly, but I've
never known ANYONE to mistake that language or instruction to mean approaching
30 degrees to either side of the runway centerline! I shudder to think what
chaos there would be, especially at airports where there is more than one
runway in use at the same time, if everyone thought it was "proper procedure"
to fly 30 degrees to either side of the extended runway centerline when
instructed to make straight-in final!

Old August 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"MariaSanguini" wrote in message

According to Doug, KPRC is a training facility, and they
have a lot of inexperienced controllers there undergoing
training.

Do you know for certain, or does Doug, that this IS one of those
inexperienced controllers? And not that they're all perfect, but does
being relatively new or inexperienced mean that THEY are "wrong"
to mention something to a pilot that they see might be a potential
safety issue?

If she was undergoing training she'd have had an instructor with her.

Have you ever seen any documentation, either written or on instructional
videotapes, for private pilot students that describes making final

approach
ANY OTHER WAY than by lining up the airplane with the extended
runway centerline?

No.

Old August 14th 04, 11:19 PM
Peter Clark

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:45:00 -0700, "Jim Cummiskey"
wrote:

chain"--perhaps ensuring I understood the domain of her authority on a slow
Sunday morning. But, according to ATC Paul, the Tower Manager, HIS
controller was absolutely WRONG! Does his vote count? Or, am I still just
a troller?

According to the other ATC controllers who have posted here, who have
given you the clear text verbiage from the FARs, AIM, and FAA
documentation that the controllers are supposed to be going by, I
would say that no - that tower manager's vote doesn't count.

So, yes Maria. I am very concerned about "not being wrong" when I fly. The
consequences are too high. The point is: if it IS perfectly proper
procedure to fly "angled finals" and report them as "finals," then shouldn't
we pilots began to do a little better job of scanning the entire final
quadrant vice only checking only the extended centerline?

Looking in the AIM I don't see an "angled" final anywhere. I do see a
depiction of a rectangular course, with 3 of the legs labeled
"downwind, base, final" and a note that says the base to final turn
should not overshoot the final course, and that turn should be no
closer than 1/4 mile from the runway. So, the normal final course is
on or reasonably close to the centerline, with a 0 degree difference
between the ground track and the runway heading, regardless of where
your aircraft is pointing to deal with wind correction. Thus, for all
the provided documentation to make any sense at all, an instruction to
complete a 5 mile final would require you to intercept the extended
centerline, heading for the runway, at a point 5 or more miles out.

Old August 14th 04, 11:47 PM
John Gaquin

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message newsoqTc.37452

Geez, Jim, you sure do love to rant! Careful, or you might give someone the
idea that I hit a hot button.

...I think the experience metric might be in my favor for
the vast majority of the folk on this forum, Doc.

Well, you may be right. I don't know.

What are you flying, BTW?

I don't fly anything right now.

.... Instead of INSISTING that your
perspective is the only possible conclusion,

I never did any such thing. What I was merely pointing out was what various
pilots and air carriers have learned over the years - that predictable,
standardized procedures go a long way toward stabilizing the safety
environment and decreasing the likelihood of accidents. And that
disregarding standardized expectations can be inherently dangerous, whether
you're technically correct or not.

The regs ARE confusing, imprecise, and often contradictory. They need
interpretation badly.

Absolutely right. What they don't need is hipshot, case-by-case individual
interpretation on a daily basis.

... There is no right and wrong. All rules
and laws merely offer a set of guidelines to be used as a general model

for
our behavior.

Interesting. Moral relativism in the cockpit. Let me know how it works
out.

Does it make you NERVOUS that one of your most
preciously-held views of the world is being challenged?

"Preciously-held views..."? LOL. Nothing in aviation comes close to being
any of my most "...preciously-held views..."

...(BTW, how many
hours have you logged in the last year, Doc)?

Oh, I haven't logged any time in the last few years. I stopped flying a few
years ago after about 25 years and about 18000 hours.

Old August 15th 04, 03:27 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Cummiskey wrote:

As I have attempted to point out numerous times, the real issue is: "Must
you be on the extended centerline to be on final?" You believe the answer
is "Yes." I belive that the answer is "No."

You are wrong. Final is defined as the extended centerline.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 15th 04, 03:31 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Cummiskey wrote:

Frankly, I would be more inclined to believe them in contrast to some of the
wannabes who believe access to a digital copy of the FARs and Order 7110.65
is all it takes to interpret the gray areas of aviation.

Then you're stupider than you so far have appeared -- and that's saying something.

Old August 16th 04, 06:23 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Under any circumstances, when flying a straight-in approach VFR, the
aircraft should be on the extended runway centerline (obviously flying
runway heading)

Track. Heading would be different according to the wind.

Ahem, sorry, since everyone seems to be nit-picking these days!

:-)

Paul

Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
12 Dec 2003 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 December 13th 03 12:01 AM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 03:33 AM