Yet another medical question

Old February 1st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Yet another medical question

Is bone marrow donation disqualifying? I can't imagine it would be, but
you never know....
Old February 1st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It's not an illness or disability...why would it be? In my lay opinion, the
fact that someone qualifies as a marrow donor is prima facie evidence that
they are in good health. No one ever asked me if I am a blood donor.

Old February 1st 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Gardner wrote:
It's not an illness or disability...why would it be? In my lay opinion, the
fact that someone qualifies as a marrow donor is prima facie evidence that
they are in good health. No one ever asked me if I am a blood donor.

Sorry, I meant after donation. It IS surgery...

Old February 1st 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I understand what it is...a nurse friend used to work at Fred Hutchison
Cancer Center and assisted with many marrow donation cases. I'm not a
doctor, but I still can't imagine how anyone could interpret anything in
Part 67 as making donation disqualifying. Guess the thing to do is ask an
AME or your Region's medical office.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bone marrow donation is not disqualifying assuming you are otherwise in good
health (you wouldn't be a donor
if you have a serious illness). I am an AME in MN and have previously
certified a donor.

Old February 2nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rachel wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote:

Sorry, I meant after donation. It IS surgery...

Bone marrow aspiration/donation, as surgical procedures go, is minor on
the scale of "surgeries".

Yea, they prep and drape and clean the skin, and they medicate/lightly
anesthetize the donor, but its essentially sticking a BIG needle into a
big bone and sucking out the contents. You still have adequate marrow
afterwards to meet your physiological needs.

As long as you are otherwise healthy and being a DONOR, should be a
non-event.

Once you are clear of the pain meds, you should be good to go. As
always, AOPA can help serve as a reference regarding this.

Dave
Old February 2nd 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:15:36 -0600, Rachel wrote:

Is bone marrow donation disqualifying? I can't imagine it would be, but
you never know....

It should not be in and of itself. I assume that your concern is "how long
after I donate bone marrow do I have to ground myself". The answer is that
it depends on how you feel. I'd guess you wouldn't feel like flying the
same day, and probably shouldn't. But you'd probably feel OK in a day or
three. Like donating blood.

To be on the safe side, I would advise against scheduling an "important"
flight for a few days after.

I assume you're not flying for an airline -- if you are, they probably have
their own rules.
Old February 2nd 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How long after donation does it take for the marrow to
regenerate in the donor?

"GF McAuliffe" wrote in
message ...

Old February 2nd 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Longworth wrote:
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I assume you're not flying for an airline -- if you are, they probably have
their own rules.

I found some rules here

http://usasam.amedd.army.mil/_aama/a...bonemarrow.pdf

"Acute blood loss (200 ml. or more) due to blood or peripheral stem
cell donation requires a temporary grounding period of at least 72
hours. See AR 40-8, Temporary Flying Restrictions Due to Exogenous
Factors, August 1976.

Bone Marrow Donation: Aircrew who donate bone marrow are temporarily
grounded until the surgical site is healed, any associated discomfort
is resolved, and the hemoglobin and hematocrit have returned to within
the normal range."

This website has some information about the recovery process

http://www.cab.org.je/10060001.htm

"What happens when a donation takes place
The donation procedure involves a two night stay in a London hospital
(usually) and the donor should expect to feel some localised discomfort
and bruising for a few days. Tiredness and general lethargy are also
expected for up to 10 days whilst the body is replacing the bone marrow
donated.

A week off work is strongly advised. All travel expenses are paid, loss
of earnings are discussed and covered. A Donor Welfare Officer visits
the donor in hospital and maintains contact for a short time after
donation"

According to this site, it may take up to two months to replace lost
Red Blood Cells after a blood donation, I'd expect similar recovery
length for bone marrow donation

http://www.rexhealth.com/centers/blood/faq_blood.htm

Hai Longworth

Thanks. I knew the 72 hours for regular donation (just for kicks, I
went up with another pilot the day after I donated a few years ago, and
altitude DOES affect me more).

Anyway, this is for another friend's student. I don't fly enough for
any of this to matter for me, unfortunately. g I'll try to find out
what AOPA tells him.
Old February 3rd 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Rachel" wrote in message
Is bone marrow donation disqualifying? I can't imagine it would be, but
you never know....

I went in to see if I was a match for someone and was put in the bone marrow
data base. I got a letter saying I was a match and was asked to donate. I
talked it over with my wife and decided to donate. I went in gave a bunch of
blood they check you for everything. I then did not here from them for a
month and was wondering what happened when I received another letter saying
the girl did not make it. I was not a pilot at the time, but I still would
of donated. I thought what if it was the other way around.