Question on the medical...

Old March 27th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Question on the medical...

Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker first time poster...licensed skydiver. I'm interested
in becoming a pilot (age 47) but given that my best corrected vision in
my left eye is 20/40 and usually 20/50 (with hard contacts) as a result
of keratoconus. I'm anticipating the need for a corneal transplant
therefore to get the left eye to acceptable params. Has anyone here had
or know of anyone who has had such surgery and become/maintained flight
status?

TIA

Richard
Old March 27th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The FAA can make a special issuance for many medical
conditions. As was also said, if you can qualify for a
driver's license you can be a Sport Pilot [new FAA pilot
classification].

I suggest that you contact the AOPA www.aopa.org and speak
to their medical department. They may require that you join
after a phone call.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old March 27th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in

The FAA can make a special issuance for many medical
conditions. As was also said, if you can qualify for a
driver's license you can be a Sport Pilot [new FAA pilot
classification].

BUT you cannot have "failed" your last FAA Medical... So you cant go to get
your medical, fail it, then say, "oh well, now I'll fly as a Sport Pilot".

So, dont go in for an FAA Medical unless you KNOW you can pass, if Sport
Pilot is an acceptible 2nd choice....

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old March 27th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That's is true too,

"ET" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in

| The FAA can make a special issuance for many medical
| conditions. As was also said, if you can qualify for a
| driver's license you can be a Sport Pilot [new FAA pilot
| classification].
|

| BUT you cannot have "failed" your last FAA Medical... So
you cant go to get
| your medical, fail it, then say, "oh well, now I'll fly as
a Sport Pilot".

| So, dont go in for an FAA Medical unless you KNOW you can
pass, if Sport
| Pilot is an acceptible 2nd choice....
|
| --
| -- ET :-)
|
| "A common mistake people make when trying to design
something
| completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of
complete

Old March 28th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

ET wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in

The FAA can make a special issuance for many medical
conditions. As was also said, if you can qualify for a
driver's license you can be a Sport Pilot [new FAA pilot
classification].

BUT you cannot have "failed" your last FAA Medical... So you cant go to get
your medical, fail it, then say, "oh well, now I'll fly as a Sport Pilot".

So, dont go in for an FAA Medical unless you KNOW you can pass, if Sport
Pilot is an acceptible 2nd choice....

--

I wonder if this is a new business idea in the making, ie physicians
who provide an FAA-like physical exam and tell you whether you will

Old March 28th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

One purpose of the SP class is to cut down the cost of flying by not
requiring you to pay some doctor to sign a form -- not give an unqualified
person a way to thwart safety. If you have a condidtion that would prevent
you from passing a third class medical then you should NOT be flying.

The SP stuff explicitly says if you have a disqualifying medical condition
then you are to ground yourself. The rules do not say: "Except for......
yadda, yadda."

Old March 28th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I wonder if this is a new business idea in the making, ie physicians
who provide an FAA-like physical exam and tell you whether you will
qualify before you go to an FAA medical examiner.

You can do that now... Go in to the FAA medical examiner... Give them a
bogus name and refuse to give them your SSN if asked... Pay in cash...

Old March 28th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:16:42 -0500, T o d d P a t t i s t
wrote:

I'm interested
in becoming a pilot (age 47) but given that my best corrected vision ....

Anyone who has a driver's license can become at least a
Sport Pilot. The AOPA has lots of info on medical
requirements if that's not enough for you, and I'm sure
someone here will have the information you need.

Of course the Sport Pilot must also self-certify that he is safe to
fly. Is 20/40 safe?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old March 28th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Richard wrote:
Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker first time poster...licensed skydiver. I'm interested
in becoming a pilot (age 47) but given that my best corrected vision in
my left eye is 20/40 and usually 20/50 (with hard contacts) as a result
of keratoconus. I'm anticipating the need for a corneal transplant
therefore to get the left eye to acceptable params. Has anyone here had
or know of anyone who has had such surgery and become/maintained flight
status?

Richard, you have a special situation. You certainly don't want to fly
if you are not safe. "Self certifying" does not lower the requirements.
So spend a few bucks and chat with an Aviation Medical Examiner. You
don't have to request a medical certificate so there is no risk. Good luck.
Old March 28th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

One purpose of the SP class is to cut down the cost of flying by not
requiring you to pay some doctor to sign a form -- not give an
unqualified person a way to thwart safety. If you have a condidtion
that would prevent you from passing a third class medical then you
should NOT be flying.

The SP stuff explicitly says if you have a disqualifying medical
condition then you are to ground yourself. The rules do not say:
"Except for...... yadda, yadda."

ah, no....;

y'wanna show me a reference for that? The sport pilot regs specifically
EXCLUDE the section of the regs that list the disqualifying
conditions...

An insulin dependent diabetic can never get a PPL (afaik). but can
certainly fly as a sport pilot.