Glider radios from Europe etc

Old September 2nd 20, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Glider radios from Europe etc

On Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 10:52:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 7:27:38 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 16:29:32 UTC+3, wrote:
I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen.
Me too. No problems with the six I have installed.

We have a big pile of them, all garbage.

Surely not "all garbage"? Maybe some units had problems? The 4201 in my glider has been soldiering on for many years. Last year I bought a spare one from Europe, it tested OK in a brief test. But most likely I will never need it.

I bought a 4201 a couple of years ago from a Dutch club, and after installation, it works great. The only snag was getting the slide-on connector for the db connector, which was hard to find then in North America.
Old September 2nd 20, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'll bet a lot of clubs in the US would be happy to pay the shipping
costs for all that "garbage"...

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 3rd 20, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Dan (Daly) - I have bought those Becker latching DB connectors from Cumulus-Soaring.
I don't think that they are shown in the online catalog. Drop Paul an email.
Old September 3rd 20, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On 9/2/2020 5:27 AM, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 16:29:32 UTC+3, wrote:
I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen.
Me too. No problems with the six I have installed.

We have a big pile of them, all garbage.

--
Dan, 5J

What's stopping them, if they need faulty 4201s? I can send the pile right away.

The problem with 4201 is faulty component that lowers the voltage of the radio by several volts and prevents any tranceiving (and soon receiving). This is known fault and there is no easy fix for it, or at least cheaper fix than replacing faulty unit with hopefully working one. Avionics mechanic will not even shake your hand for a price of used 4201. There are cases where exchanged 4201s developed the exact same problem. If someone is happy buying and installing old 4201s, then go for it. But the fact is that they are not as reliable as they should be.

Even new radios can be had for 1000 euros, and in this hobby that's pretty much nothing. Unless you run a club that has a fleet resembling something out of equator Africa.
Old September 3rd 20, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 08:30 03 September 2020, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 September 2020 at 19:20:53 UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'll bet a lot of clubs in the US would be happy to pay the shipping=20
costs for all that "garbage"...
On 9/2/2020 5:27 AM, krasw wrote:=20
On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 16:29:32 UTC+3,

wrote:=
=20
I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen.=20
Me too. No problems with the six I have installed.=20
We have a big pile of them, all garbage.

--=20

=
[...]

I installed a 4201 in my 27 in 2003 and replaced it in 2018. 15 years
without a fault in the electronics. I did however freeze the LCD one winter
which needed to be replaced by the factory.
Sold it to USA for a few dollars. Haven't heard that it failed.

Old September 3rd 20, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:=
[...]

How cold does it need to get to damage the LCD? My glider is stored in an unheated hangar in the winter here in Vermont, sometimes goes down to -20C or worse, but so far no damage to the 4201 LCD.
Old September 4th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

I've never heard of an LCD screen freezing. I have seen displays get "sluggish" in the cold and might seem to be damaged - but a little warmth and its back to normal.

Possibly the glass top layer of an LCD screen could contract enough to crack if it got really, really, cold. I'd love to do the experiment (with someone else's radio) but doubt that I could replicate that kind of environment at home. ;-)

- John OHM Ω
Old September 4th 20, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

At 15:53 04 September 2020,
John_DeRosa_OHM_Ω_http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I've never heard of an LCD screen freezing. I have seen displays get
"slug=
gish" in the cold and might seem to be damaged - but a little warmth and
it=
s back to normal.

Possibly the glass top layer of an LCD screen could contract enough to
crac=
k if it got really, really, cold. I'd love to do the experiment (with
some=
one else's radio) but doubt that I could replicate that kind of
environment=
at home. ;-)

- John OHM =E2=84=A6

I have known condensation to cause problems. If it then freezes...

Old September 4th 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 11:53:55 AM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I've never heard of an LCD screen freezing. I have seen displays get "sluggish" in the cold and might seem to be damaged - but a little warmth and its back to normal.

Possibly the glass top layer of an LCD screen could contract enough to crack if it got really, really, cold. I'd love to do the experiment (with someone else's radio) but doubt that I could replicate that kind of environment at home. ;-)

- John OHM Ω

I have seen LCD freezing in northern NJ, not normal, but can happen.
More likely is display is really cold (north NJ winter), and a "minor tap" on the display glass cracks the display...(sorta guess of parent with rather young kid, laptop was sitting in car overnight in sub freezing temps)......depends on device, all are certified to a range, maybe you get one just outside of the range.