When to acknowledge ATC

Old May 10th 05, 04:27 AM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:40:19 -0700, Antoņio
wrote in
::

Larry Dighera wrote:

Just because you can't see 'em, doesn't mean they're not there.

Are you saying you believe in ghosts? ;-)

I believe it's difficult to discern all the aircraft in the vicinity
if there is haze or they're against a busy landscape. They are
tangible ghosts that can quite surprisingly appear to materialize
suddenly due to high closing speeds, and be startlingly close at
times.

Old May 10th 05, 04:39 AM
Antoņio

George Patterson wrote:

And it's not a disorder to prefer to be doing something else than
concentrating on listening for your N-number in the static and other
conversation.

Unfortunately, the phemomena I was speaking of is called "Attention
Deficit *Disorder* ". I hope you realize that I meant no disrespect.

Antonio
Old May 10th 05, 04:45 AM
Antoņio

Morgans wrote:

What was that? I was reading it, but I lost track of it somewhere. Who
were you talking to, anyway? ;-)

Ha! ....obviously MYSELF ! Remember that old saying; "No good deed goes
unpunished"?

Antonio
Old May 10th 05, 05:01 AM
George Patterson

Antoņio wrote:

Unfortunately, the phemomena I was speaking of is called "Attention
Deficit *Disorder* ". I hope you realize that I meant no disrespect.

Oh, I realize that. I was simply assuring you that I have been spared that
particular problem.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 10th 05, 05:05 AM
Antoņio

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Antoņio" wrote in message

Oh dear! Let me just say for myself that I don't consider this an
exclusive US newsgroup no matter what the inclusions or exclusions.

You're free to consider it anything you like.

Such repartee !
Oh, and by the way, I am a US citizen posting from the USA so the
context of my replies will be within that framework.

I quote:

Happy dog:
"Is it assumed that people are posting from the USA unless they make it
known otherwise?"

Steven's categorical reply: "Pretty much, yup... "

Such an assuption is, at best, borderline arrogance.

Antonio

Antonio
Old May 10th 05, 05:18 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Antoņio" wrote in message

Such repartee !
Oh, and by the way, I am a US citizen posting from the USA so the context
of my replies will be within that framework.

I quote:

Happy dog:
"Is it assumed that people are posting from the USA unless they make it
known otherwise?"

Steven's categorical reply: "Pretty much, yup... "

Such an assuption is, at best, borderline arrogance.

Actually, it's just an observed fact.

Old May 10th 05, 05:40 AM
OP

On Mon, 09 May 2005 06:52:59 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On Sun, 8 May 2005 21:42:33 -0500, A Lieberman
wrote in ::

If so, I would be required to read back???

There is no FAA regulation *requiring* reed back of a clearance.
Subsequent to 'rogering' your clearance, you may detect a bit of
consternation in the controller's voice if you are in contact with
her, but that's about it.

I guess a lot depends on the airport/Center area you are flying
from. In meetings with our local ATC, they advise us to readback
all clearances, hold short, taxi, and runway assignments.

The best reason I have for reading back clearances is, if anything
goes wrong, my voice is on the tape repeating the controllers
instructions and getting "readback correct" in return. CYA if you
have to file an ASRS form.

Ron

Old May 10th 05, 08:09 AM
Peter Duniho

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
. net...
The fact is you misread Hamish's post and your ego won't let you admit it.

Whether I did or not is irrelevant to the fact that you misread MY post.

Old May 10th 05, 11:59 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Whether I did or not is irrelevant to the fact that you misread MY post.

But I didn't misread YOUR post.

Old May 10th 05, 01:35 PM
Ron Natalie

OP wrote:

The best reason I have for reading back clearances is, if anything
goes wrong, my voice is on the tape repeating the controllers
instructions and getting "readback correct" in return. CYA if you
have to file an ASRS form.

Failure for ATC to correct your incorrect readback does not absolve
you of responsibilty to comply with the original instruction. This
was once touted to be the case, but the FAA stompted on that idea.

Your last sentence makes no sense. You don't need any CYA for filing
ASRS. You can file an ASRS at any time you think you have a
contribution to the safety process. The ASRS itself is a CYA for
some enforcement actions, but it's primary purpose is not a way
for pilots to avoid FAA persecution.