Lifespan of a parachute canopy?

Old January 11th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Lifespan of a parachute canopy?

Does anyone know when our 17 year old emergency parachute
canopy will pass its use-by date? Indeed, is there
a definite lifespan, or is it down to the discretion
of the packer?

The 'chute has always been stored indoors in a dark
dry cupboard.

Also, has anyone had any experience of having a new
canopy fitted?

Old January 13th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I asked Jim Moore the rigger in Kentucky the same question a few weeks
ago.

You may find Jim he

Jim Moore (270) 723-3587
find more information he
http://www.parachuteriggers.com/

Jim said that it all depends on inpection and testing they will do.

I am interested in this subject because one of my parachutes is brand
spanking new, never ever used, manufactured in December 1958 by Sigmund
Eisner Co. in Red Bank, N.J. for U.S. Air Force.

Hey, I rather have the same parachute Gary Powers tested over Russia
May 1st 1960,
http://area51specialprojects.com/u2_mayday.html
http://www.prouty.org/sabotage.html
than one of those cheep, flimsy dipers-pampers imitations used by some
nowdays.
OK old surplus sure are heavier, so they help penetration of those who
don't do water balast.

Real pilots use military surplus parachutes that were made for the US
Air Force. The moment you strap one on you are the Top Gun.

The most important thing Jim Moore said was, that he just repacked and
certified for service all oryginal parachute made in 1938. This made me
feel good.
I forgot to ask what was the brand.

Emergency parachutes are like air bags in our cars. I hope you ain't
planning on using one ever!
Ah, what about expiration date on your condoms when you fly cross
country, ha?!

Happy New Year to Tom Seim and Mighty Gorilla wherever you are, and to
the rest of the gang in Pacific states.

Andre Volant
CFIG

Old January 13th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Correction for googl's screwup:

correct link is:

http://www.parachuteriggers.com/

google did some strange hokoos-pokoos to the text I sent.

Jim's email address is

1938 parachute was certified! This is something!
This should be good news for everyone.

One more thing.
I don't know if you know what I know, so I will share this wonderfull
website where
all of you can place several photos of your glider on internet fast,
easy, free, where
I just placed my two photos zooming Blue Ridge of Mount Vaca in
California near Vacaville, just to try it out.
Click on this link to see my bird fly below the ridge.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N3897A.html

or go to Google, enter your N number, click search and voila, see what
you will get.
Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to
get.
Status of your glider, your address and soon pictures of your glider to
share with friends or potential buyers around the World just with a
couple of clicks.

Andre Volant CFIG

Old January 14th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
[...]

And a most Happy New Year to you Andre. And a very Happy New Year to
the rest of you on RAC. The gorilla reads (and even sometimes learns a
thing or two), but seldom comments.
Old January 17th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Martyn Johnson wrote:
Does anyone know when our 17 year old emergency parachute
canopy will pass its use-by date? Indeed, is there
a definite lifespan, or is it down to the discretion
of the packer?

Some of the posts on this subject got me wondering about my 26 year old
Strong parachute, even though it's been repacked every year, including
at Strong in '97. So, I checked with Strong, National, and
Para-phernalia, the major manufacturers.

Strong: they are quite clear that they don't have a life limitation,
saying on their website they will repack and certify their parachutes
based on inspection, even 30 year old parachutes. They recommend having
them repack it at least once every 5 years, so it can be inspected and
any modifications done. They also say leaving it in the aircraft is not
a problem, as long as the parachute is protected from the sun.

Para-Phernalia (Softie Parachutes): Dan told me they don't have a
service life, but "they get picky" about the condition of the parachute
after 20 years. They will repack their parachutes (Softies) that are
more than 20 years old, but not other brands. Leaving it in the glider
in the trailer is not a problem; however, if the parachute temperature
will exceed 130 degrees F, he urged it be stored some place cooler.

National: I talked to a rigger there, who told me they have a 20 year
service life. He did not think it was a good idea to leave the parachute
in glider (even in a trailer) during the summer, because high
temperatures (100+ degrees F or so) could damage the rubber bands they
use to sequence the opening. Winter temperatures could also be a
problem, as the rubber bands could become brittle in sub-zero (F)
temperatures, and be damaged if the parachute was moved.

Based on the above, I'm going to have Strong repack my parachute before
the season, even though I'm still considering a new parachute. I've
eliminated the National because I don't like the idea of the rubber
bands, so it's down to the Para-Phernalia Softie. The Micro-Softie seems
the most attractive of their line, and I'm thinking one with the
"thread-thru" adapters instead of snaps on the leg straps would be the
most comfortable.

Does anyone have experience with the thread-thru adapters?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 17th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Based on the above, I'm going to have Strong repack my parachute before
the season, even though I'm still considering a new parachute. I've
eliminated the National because I don't like the idea of the rubber
bands, so it's down to the Para-Phernalia Softie. The Micro-Softie seems
the most attractive of their line, and I'm thinking one with the
"thread-thru" adapters instead of snaps on the leg straps would be the
most comfortable.

I think you'll find that just about all emergency parachutes use rubber
bands, my Mini-Softie certainly has them...

Marc
Old January 17th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric, et al.

It would be interesting to know what type of chute,
age, time since last repack, etc was worn by those
who have used them.

The most recent that I'm aware of is the ASH-26E pilot
who bailed out when the glider wanted to become a 'kit
form' glider again. (I.E., shed it's wings in flight
when going pretty fast...)

Tim Mara bailed from an LS1-f some years ago.

Others?

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old January 17th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:

Based on the above, I'm going to have Strong repack my parachute
before the season, even though I'm still considering a new parachute.
I've eliminated the National because I don't like the idea of the
rubber bands, so it's down to the Para-Phernalia Softie. The
Micro-Softie seems the most attractive of their line, and I'm thinking
one with the "thread-thru" adapters instead of snaps on the leg straps
would be the most comfortable.

I think you'll find that just about all emergency parachutes use rubber
bands, my Mini-Softie certainly has them...

Hmmm...curious! I'll put National back on the list long enough borrow
one of the club member's to try one in the glider, but their 20 service
life is still the lowest. Maybe it's type of rubber bands; for example,
ones out of silicone could take an enormous temperature range.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 17th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Definately go with thread throughs. Skydivers stopped using b-12
snaps 20 years ago. If you want a parachute without rubber bands look
at rigging innovations aviators. There isn't any rubber bands in
those rigs(I'm almost positive will know for sure when I get mine
soon). Life limits on parachutes make as much sense as life limits on
gliders.

Old January 17th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Based on the above, I'm going to have Strong repack my parachute
before the season, even though I'm still considering a new parachute.
I've eliminated the National because I don't like the idea of the
rubber bands, so it's down to the Para-Phernalia Softie. The
Micro-Softie seems the most attractive of their line, and I'm thinking
one with the "thread-thru" adapters instead of snaps on the leg straps
would be the most comfortable.

I think you'll find that just about all emergency parachutes use rubber
bands, my Mini-Softie certainly has them...

And I just discovered my Strong has them, too, so it's apparently not an
issue, at least the way I store and use my parachute. If it was, I think
I riggers packing it over it's 26 year life would've mentioned a problem
if they'd seen one.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Duo Discus canopy problems David Starer Soaring 4 June 20th 04 11:09 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
Cirrus BRS deployments - Alan Klapmeier's comments on NPR Dan Luke Piloting 67 April 25th 04 04:31 PM
Redundant canopy latching John Soaring 5 March 16th 04 12:50 PM
FS: SECURITY 150 PARACHUTE PACK W/O CANOPY Tim Hanke Home Built 0 July 21st 03 05:59 PM