Near miss from space junk.

Old March 29th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Near miss from space junk.

"chris" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 29, 11:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Oz Lander writes:
OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar.

TCAS I (the kind often used on small aircraft) reads Mode C replies
from other transponders and builds a picture of the airspace from
that, with moderate accuracy. TCAS II (the kind mandated on large
aircraft) also listens to other TCAS systems to build a much more
accurate picture of the airspace (if lots of other aircraft are
similarly equipped).

None of the small aircraft I have ever flown has had TCAS.. Are you
sure you got that right ???

It'd be a first if he did.

bertie
Old March 29th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Update: Russians not guilty

Andrew Gideon wrote in
news
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:35:59 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Mmm, OK. Actualy, I've been pretty close to space junk coming down
myself on a few occasions.

I've occasionally been within a couple of planetary diameters of space
junk. Worrisome. I've heard what those astronauts use instead of
toilets.

oooohkaaay..

bertie
Old March 30th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

None of the small aircraft I have ever flown has had TCAS.. Are you
sure you got that right ???

By "often used," I meant "when present on small aircraft, this is the type
usually used," because it's cheaper. I don't think TCAS is really present
very much on small GA aircraft, but I don't have actual figures. Since good
avionics represent a substantial portion of the total cost of an aircraft, it
follows that one wouldn't see advanced avionics that often on aircraft that
are not otherwise very expensive. Who would install $2 million of avionics on
a $90,000 aircraft?

Old March 30th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

chris writes:

None of the small aircraft I have ever flown has had TCAS.. Are you
sure you got that right ???

By "often used," I meant "when present on small aircraft, this is the
type usually used," because it's cheaper. I don't think TCAS is
really present very much on small GA aircraft, but I don't have actual
figures. Since good avionics represent a substantial portion of the
total cost of an aircraft, it follows that one wouldn't see advanced
avionics that often on aircraft that are not otherwise very expensive.
Who would install $2 million of avionics on a $90,000 aircraft?

You're an idiot.

Bertie
Old March 30th 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.religion.asatru
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

You're an idiot.

You're welcome.

Old March 30th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

You're an idiot.

You're welcome.

I know

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
RST Engineering

Bertie ...

You were absent from the group when we made a rather collective decision to
disregard maniac's postings. I'd appreciate it if you would join us.

Jim

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.130...
"chris" wrote in
oups.com:

Old March 31st 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Oz Lander writes:

OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar.

TCAS I (the kind often used on small aircraft) reads Mode C replies from other
transponders and builds a picture of the airspace from that, with moderate
accuracy. TCAS II (the kind mandated on large aircraft) also listens to other
TCAS systems to build a much more accurate picture of the airspace (if lots of
other aircraft are similarly equipped).

As usual you are wrong again. Try not to base your entire world on your
fantasies and guesswork.

Very few GA aircraft have any sort of collision avoidance, and I've
never seen any with TCAS I. The few that are out there that are
transponder based like the Monroy, Zaon, Ryan TCAD, L3/Goodrich
Skywatch are all generic traffic avoidance systems. They Skywatch
and higher end Avidyne TAS systems can be installed as TCAS I.

The TCAS I will send interrogations and it will locate aircraft
with more than "moderate" accuracy. You're confusing the lesser
PCAS and other traffic avoidance systems with TCAS I.

The difference is that TCAS II units talk to other TCAS II
units via the mode S datalink to coordinate resolution of
conflicts.
Old March 31st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in
:

Bertie ...

You were absent from the group when we made a rather collective
decision to disregard maniac's postings. I'd appreciate it if you
would join us.

It's th eonly reason I'm here. Best to ignore mine as well. I'm not
morphing in here at all, nor do I plan to, so my e-mail address in your
kill file will make your life lots easier.

Bertie
Old April 1st 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Mar 30, 5:19 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
chris writes:
None of the small aircraft I have ever flown has had TCAS.. Are you
sure you got that right ???

By "often used," I meant "when present on small aircraft, this is the type
usually used," because it's cheaper. I don't think TCAS is really present
very much on small GA aircraft, but I don't have actual figures. Since good
avionics represent a substantial portion of the total cost of an aircraft, it
follows that one wouldn't see advanced avionics that often on aircraft that
are not otherwise very expensive. Who would install $2 million of avionics on
a $90,000 aircraft?

I fear it's even worse than you think, at least in this country, where
private aircraft ownership is quite rare. Most light a/c are either
aero club owned, i.e. 172 / Cherokee, or commercial, like Senecas and
the like.. And on the whole, avionics tends to get neglected. The
vast majority of club a/c wouldn't have GPS, let alone glass cockpits
or TCAS. I have seen inside some commercial operated light a/c like
Senecas and Aztecs and you'd probably be horrified at how basic they
are. Just a couple of ADFs and VORs and that's all they get. Maybe a
DME thrown in for good measure...

And don't think they get maintained either. If the a/c came with IFR
gear and isn't being used for IFR, like at an aero club, when things
like DME and VOR break down they don't get fixed, they just get
placarded as inop. Same as fuel gauges. Of 9 planes at our club,
only 4 have working fuel gauges!! The rest are just placarded u/s.
And the only reason there are 4 planes that have gauges that work is 3
of them are brand new a/craft. The deal with fuel gauges is, we know
the fuel burn and we have a stick to dip the tank on preflight, what
do we need gauges for ???

Why Screeners Miss Guns and Knives (and why pilots miss planes and airports) cjcampbell Piloting 2 January 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Junk Yards NVArt Home Built 5 July 13th 05 07:35 PM
FS Aviation Junk Jim Aviation Marketplace 1 February 11th 05 10:57 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Doug Carter Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 11th 03 01:38 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Dan R Piloting 7 July 11th 03 01:38 PM