Gasohol

Old June 1st 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Darrel Toepfer

Default Gasohol

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

http://www.investors.com/editorial/c...NS/toon051507c
.gif

Wouldn't that considered a corntoon ?
Old June 1st 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Ken Finney wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:

IF I ever get a plane, all these silly fuel issues would be a real
irritant. I haven't been paying much attention to the new diesel
aircraft engines becoming available. Since I should be making my
own biodiesel by the end of this Summer (for something less than
45 cents a gallon), are any of the new diesels in the O-200/Rotax
912 class?

You'll never get an STC to put it in a certified aircraft. Better
start thinking experimental.

I already am, but there an STC for diesels in 172s.

Diesels and diesels running Freedom Fry grease are going to require
two very different STCs. Robert posted a link to a outfit with a
Biodiesel STC but I couldn't get the link to work.

As much of the diesel fuel sold today as some biodiesel mixed with
it, I'd hope that the engines being sold are certified for
petrodiesel, biodiesel, and any combination thereof. "Freedom Fry
grease" (aka WVO = waste vegetable oil or SVO = straight vegetable
oil) is a different animal than biodiesel.

Aren't most if not all of the certified diesel engines certified for JetA
and not auto-diesel.

Old June 1st 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

Ken Finney wrote:

[...]

You are very likely correct. And since (I assume) JetA doesn't have low
sulphur requirements, it probably doesn't contain any biodiesel.

Old June 1st 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"orange" wrote in message news:x6N7i.4362$aW5.2739@trndny09...
All of New England has 10% gasohol at the auto pump...
However, it isn't blended in until it gets to this regon... so many aero clubs can still get batches of straight gas
Greg Dwinell

I just saw this on the EAA site:

ETHANOL-FREE AUTOFUEL TO BE AVAILABLE AT THREE NEW ENGLAND AIRPORTS STARTING IN JUNE

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea..._autofuel.html

And I'm sure it will cost way more to be processed less, kinda like that organic food....

Old June 2nd 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
J. Severyn

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news snip

I tried the Alka Seltzer trick on some denatured alcohol -- no result.
It did not fizz!

You know I've been wondering: Does the Alka Seltzer trick really check to
see if alcohol is present? I'm no chemist, but I wonder if the Alka Seltzer
is just reacting with the water that most alcohols will attract from the
moisture in the air.

How about it? Any chemists in the group? If the mogas were blended with
alcohol with low water content, would the Alka Seltzer fizz at all? Maybe
the best test is still the "line on the beaker" test.

Regards,
John Severyn
KLVK (all mogas has alky in my area, making my STC no good at all)

Old June 2nd 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Somebody in the Piper group just posted that Peterson (the STC provider) is
going to start getting 91 octane ethanol free autogas at a couple of
airports out here.

I'll get the info and post it here.

mike

"orange" wrote in message
All of New England has 10% gasohol at the auto pump...
However, it isn't blended in until it gets to this regon... so many aero
clubs can still get batches of straight gas
Greg Dwinell

"mike regish" wrote in message
. ..
I'm pretty sure Mass. is already there. I don't know if there's a
minimum, but we've got 10% ethanol everywhere now.

mike

"tony roberts" wrote in message

Is it true that there is no longer any requirement to label gasoline
contaminated with alcohol?

Worse.
I read that, starting in 2007, in some places, California and some
Canadian Provinces included, it is regulated that all gasoline sold must
contain at least 5% alcohol/ethanol.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old June 2nd 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Here it is.

Petersen Aviation, Inc., which like EAA provides autofuel
supplementary type certificates (STC), reports it will begin
distributing non-ethanol, 91-octane gasoline to three New England
airports during the first week of June 2007. The airports include
Minuteman Airport (6B6) in Stow, Massachusetts (978-897-3933);
Plymouth Airport (PYM) in Plymouth, Massachusetts (508-746-2020);
and Skylark Airport (7B6), East Windsor, Connecticut
(860-623-8085).

Only ethanol-blended gasoline has been available at New England
service stations over the past several years. This has made it
impossible for pilots who hold EAA and Petersen Aviation autogas
STCs, or other aircraft that can use autofuel, including many
light-sport aircraft and homebuilts, to find suitable fuel. But
since automotive gasoline sold at airports for use in aircraft is
considered “aviation” gasoline, it is exempt from oxygenated fuel
requirements under the Federal Reformulated Gasoline (RFG) program.
Therefore importing non-ethanol gasoline into regions such as New
England is allowed.

Peterson says the ethanol-free 91-octane gasoline will be certified
to meet the specifications required by both Petersen and EAA STCs.

mike

Old June 2nd 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

some out to Massachusetts, also.
\
How far are you from Hampton NH?

Grass strip, Piper Cubs, New Standard biplane, splendid cafe (closes
at 2pm), and clean mogas at the pump, $3.40 a gallon.

I bought four gallons two months ago and haven't used it all yet. It's
astonishing how far gasoline goes in small engines. (Well, okay, I
don't mow my lawn any more. The clean mogas goes into the chain saw,
generator, and snow blower.... My tractor runs fine on gasoline
polluted with ethanol.)

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
forthcoming from HarperCollins www.flyingtigersbook.com
Old June 2nd 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 04:18:37 GMT, "orange" wrote:

All of New England has 10% gasohol at the auto pump...
However, it isn't blended in until it gets to this regon... so many aero
clubs can still get batches of straight gas

The last part is correct in my experience. Hampton Airfield buys its
mogas from the terminal in Portland ME.

The wonderful thing about ethanol is that it can't presently be pumped
through pipelines, so straight gasoline is theoretically available at
whatever central point it's mixed in.

Old June 2nd 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:23:20 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

And I'm sure it will cost way more to be processed less, kinda like that organic food....

Well, avgas always costs more, because the airport is making a profit
on it, and in the case of mogas is not selling very much of it.

Mogas at Hampton Airfield NH is still $3.40, though I suppose it will
go up in time, especially if lots of people discover they can buy
unadulterated gas there.

Gasohol Blueskies Piloting 240 July 6th 07 12:42 AM
How scary is gasohol? Charles Talleyrand Owning 27 March 1st 04 11:39 AM