My Third Solo X-Country

Old November 6th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

Default My Third Solo X-Country

Well I did another xc solo today. The flight was from 3A1 (Cullman, AL) to
CTJ (Carrollton, GA), to BHM (Birmingham, AL) and back to 3A1.

The leg to CTJ was kinda long (70 minutes) but it was relaxing. Flying to
BHM from CTJ was rather interesting. The sun was shining bright right at
me. The little sun visor in the plane really didn't help. Since I couldn't
see clearly, I really had to rely on the instruments. I was flying at 4500
until I got close to the Anniston-Talladega-St. Clair County area. Then I
climbed to 5500 since there is an info box on the sectional that says "For
Reasons of National Security Pilots Are Requested To Avoid Flight At And
Below 5000 Feet In This Area". Although I climbed to 5500 I also stayed
South of I-20 to stay clear of the Restricted area close to Anniston. (I
didn't want a couple of jets joining me for company) .

About 30nm out from BHM, I made the necessary calls to BHM
Approach/Tower/Grd Ctl, etc. after listening to ATIS. There was heavy
traffic at BHM. A couple of planes were told to stay clear of BHM Class C.
I think they were eventually allowed to enter and land.

Departing BHM and heading to 3A1 was uneventful except that it was getting
dark. I was familiar with this leg having flown it a couple of times.

I still get a little nervous when I have to talk to Approach/Tower, etc. at
Class C airports. I guess it will just take time and more communicating
before I really get the hang of it. There is a great little book that
really helps me with this. It's called VFR Radio Procedures in The USA.
I'm sure most of you are familiar with it.

That's about it for now. As usual, any advice, constructive criticism, and
other comments are welcomed.

CareBear

Old November 6th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BucFan

snip

That's about it for now. As usual, any advice, constructive criticism,
and other comments are welcomed.

CareBear

I flew to BHM for my night dual. I was on a long final when the tower asked
if I could "expedite landing". My flight instructor looked behind us and
could see the landing lights in the distance. I think it was a FedEx or UPS
cargo flight coming in behind us. I got the Warrior down and off of the
runway as fast as possible. The big boy landed while we were taxiing to the
FBO. That was a fun night....

I am not far from you, I am in Huntsville.

My first solo XC was from HUA to TCL, I went the Sunday after the
Ala-Florida game last year. There was a race going on at Talladega that day
and all of the planes trying to get in there had overloaded the system. I
listened to BHM holding people out of the area for half the flight back.

The line guy at TCL said that on gameday the jets fill up the whole parking
area at the FBO!

John

Old November 6th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 11/05/06 19:32, CareBear wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you did just fine. All the radio work definitely gets easier
with practice. When I was doing my solo cross country flights, I was
using a ANR headset that would, at times, garble the received transmissions,
making it impossible to hear what the controller says. That was a really
horrible experience. I bought a cheap, non-ANR headset and haven't had any
more problems.

Did you have any particular problems with the communications that you
wanted to share?

Remember too that even if the sun is in your eyes, you are responsible
for seeing and avoiding other aircraft. This may even help you decide
whether or not it's safe to fly in a particular direction at a particular
time.

Congratulations on your third. You must be pretty close to your check
ride, aren't you? What's left?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old November 6th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

I landed in Huntsville a few weeks ago on another xc flight. As for game
day in TCL, I've had my "experience" there. See my previous xc posts.

--
CareBear

snip

Old November 6th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BucFan

"CareBear" wrote in message
I landed in Huntsville a few weeks ago on another xc flight. As for game
day in TCL, I've had my "experience" there. See my previous xc posts.

--
CareBear

Yeah, I read that one! I had originally planned my flight for Saturday, but
the I saw the football schedule and changed it! Sounds like you made it
through OK, and I am sure it was interesting.

John

Old November 6th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a couple of dual lessons left. Then it's time to prepare for the
checkride. I've already completed my Written. As for communication, I'm
using a DC H10-13.4 headset I got off eBay. They are pretty good and
comfortable. I occasionally do get garbled communications.

--
CareBear

Old November 6th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Lee

"CareBear" wrote:

The leg to CTJ was kinda long (70 minutes) but it was relaxing. Flying to
BHM from CTJ was rather interesting. The sun was shining bright right at
me. The little sun visor in the plane really didn't help. Since I couldn't
see clearly, I really had to rely on the instruments. I was flying at 4500
until I got close to the Anniston-Talladega-St. Clair County area. Then I
climbed to 5500'.........

Note the deletion of unneeded text. Was 5500' the proper VFR
altitude for your direction?

Did you depart later than planned or was there no need to complete the
flight during daylight hours?

Ron Lee
Old November 6th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
"CareBear" wrote:

The leg to CTJ was kinda long (70 minutes) but it was relaxing. Flying to
BHM from CTJ was rather interesting. The sun was shining bright right at
me. The little sun visor in the plane really didn't help. Since I
couldn't
see clearly, I really had to rely on the instruments. I was flying at
4500
until I got close to the Anniston-Talladega-St. Clair County area. Then I
climbed to 5500'.........

Note the deletion of unneeded text. Was 5500' the proper VFR
altitude for your direction?

Did you depart later than planned or was there no need to complete the
flight during daylight hours?

Ron Lee

Ron, thanks for pointing out my typing errors. It should have been 6500
feet. The flight did indeed depart later than was planned. My CFI was in
the air with another student when my flight was to have started.

--
CareBear

Old November 6th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

CareBear wrote:
The leg to CTJ was kinda long (70 minutes) but it was relaxing. Flying to
BHM from CTJ was rather interesting. The sun was shining bright right at
me. The little sun visor in the plane really didn't help. Since I couldn't
see clearly, I really had to rely on the instruments.

Let me make a suggestion which has really helped me over the years when flying
into the sun. Order one of those sunshades from Sporty's or where ever... one
of those sheets of green plastic film that just sticks to the windshield where
ever you need it. You can stick it and peel it a million times without wearing
it out. Back in the old days, they were about $5. You might even be able to
find one in an auto supply store. It's a lot more practical for the pilot than
the driver, since our headings are constant and the sun isn't going to be moving
all over your windshield.

I used to be a courier pilot with a route that caused me to fly early in the
morning and then again around sunset five days a week. I'd have gone blind with
all the squinting if I hadn't gotten one of these.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old November 6th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

CareBear wrote:
Note the deletion of unneeded text.

Ron, thanks for pointing out my typing errors. It should have been 6500
feet. The flight did indeed depart later than was planned. My CFI was in
the air with another student when my flight was to have started.

Uh... I think he was suggesting you trim your quotations a little tighter.
Quotations are supposed to give you a point of reference for the answer... not
be an archive of the thread.

Just a thought. You're hardly unique in this....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

como ganar dinero facil y rapido [email protected] Piloting 0 September 17th 05 11:32 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
Cross Country the main focus of soaring? mat Redsell Soaring 77 October 18th 04 10:40 PM