Ultralight altitude record

Old May 28th 05, 02:23 PM
Turbo Tiger

Now a helicopter landed on top of Everest.

TurboTiger

Old May 28th 05, 03:28 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:23:25 GMT, "Turbo Tiger"
wrote:

Now a helicopter landed on top of Everest.

A woman, asking for directions? :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 28th 05, 03:48 PM
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Now a helicopter landed on top of Everest.

A woman, asking for directions? :-)

Got to be. A man never would have stopped to ask. :-)

Matt
Old May 28th 05, 06:45 PM
gilan

I have some articles on my website about the Mitchell Wing U2 holding the
record for a while

http://www.mitchellwing.com/Rowley%2...ing%20high.htm

--
Mitchell Wing
http://www.mitchellwing.com

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

I can't find it but for what it's worth, I once read that a Mitchel U2 was
flown to about the same altitude over Germany. It's a cool little plane
but at 6'5", if I could fit in one, it would never get me off the ground
(even if I became anorexic and not F'ing likely either...)

Tony

Old May 28th 05, 06:56 PM
Tim Ward

"dje" wrote in message
In the US I believe they are not allowed above 17,999 ft.

From Ultralight news.com:

"A Falcon UL still claims the altitude record of 26,900'."

David

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message
What is the altitude record for an ultralight?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Oh, you can get exceptions by prearrangement with ATC.
For example, there's a box over Sandia, near Albequerque, that can be opened
up, and several hang gliders have gone over 22,000 feet there, perfectly
legally.

Tim Ward

Old May 28th 05, 10:58 PM
Anthony W

gilan wrote:
I have some articles on my website about the Mitchell Wing U2 holding the
record for a while

http://www.mitchellwing.com/Rowley%2...ing%20high.htm

I wonder if that design could be scaled up to somewhere around the sport
plane size? About 150 or 200% of original specification.

Tony
Old May 29th 05, 03:04 PM
gilan

The U2 already is ELSA size. If you made it 150% to 200% larger it would be
enormous!
--
Mitchell Wing
http://www.mitchellwing.com

Old May 29th 05, 07:05 PM
Anthony W

gilan wrote:
The U2 already is ELSA size. If you made it 150% to 200% larger it would be
enormous!

I can't find any specs on the Mitchell U2 and the weight of the plane
meeting FAR103 makes me think it's rather small.

Do you know where I can get more info on the U2?

Tony
Old May 29th 05, 08:47 PM
Tim Ward

"Anthony W" wrote in message
gilan wrote:
The U2 already is ELSA size. If you made it 150% to 200% larger it

would be
enormous!

I can't find any specs on the Mitchell U2 and the weight of the plane
meeting FAR103 makes me think it's rather small.

Do you know where I can get more info on the U2?

Tony

Well, I googled for "Mitchell Wing" U2
and got a number of hits. That will bring up information on the B-10 and
A-10 as well.
The U2, at an empty weight of 320 lbs, would not meet part 103

Tim Ward

Old May 29th 05, 10:56 PM
LJ and Nancy blodgett

The u2 almost is an ultralight.HP_10-22hp/34'wing
span/9'length/3'height/136 sq.ft./430 gross wt./200 mt.wt./top speed82
mph/75 mph cruise/23 mph stall/400' sea-level climb. LJ