SPOT Global Phone

Old November 2nd 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default SPOT Global Phone

Hi,

The SPOT Global Phone is an interesting product. Are any of you using them?
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/spot....T-Global-Phone

I would think they would be great for use in contacting your retrieve crew
while in flight - especially during a long downwind dash. I believe the
Gordon Boetger and Jim Payne use satellite phones (I don't know what
make/model) during their long flights. Of course, it only makes sense to
try to make a call when flying in a 2-seater as the other pilot flies.

It would also be very useful during a landout in a very remote location. Or
during an emergency in a very remote location. In an emergency it would be
very nice to be able to have a live, back-and-forth conversation with
rescuers.

The SPOT Global Phone manual states, "Aircraft: FCC regulations prohibit
using your phone while in the air. Switch off your phone before boarding an
aircraft.". I suspect that rule is largely ignored. Or does that rule only
apply to cell phones?

The SPOT Global phone seems to be a very good value when compared to
competitive products, but both the phone and the service plans are somewhat
expensive.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 3rd 14, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:09:04 PM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
[...]

Reviews from REI Customers, poor performance.

http://www.rei.com/product/860468/sp...ne#tab-reviews

Glidergreg
Old November 3rd 14, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Greg,

The reviews for techno-nerds on cnet, etc. are quite positive. I suspect
the negative reviews were by customers who didn't get the antenna oriented
correctly and did not have a clear view of the sky. But who knows...

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Spot vs Spot Connect guy Soaring 9 January 25th 12 03:48 PM
Global Warming etc. None[_2_] Soaring 0 January 16th 10 06:17 PM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
Global tracking Greasy Rider @ invalid.com Naval Aviation 0 February 10th 06 12:26 PM
Enjoy High Quality incredible low cost PC-to-phone and broadband phone services John Home Built 0 May 19th 05 02:58 PM