SLA batteries and heat

Old January 26th 17, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SLA batteries and heat

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 5:58:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I use this in my hanger just encase.

First Alert 2013F Fire and Water Chest, 0.17 Cubic Foot, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MPMEZ2..._B1sIyb1T5GJ8J

- uh, in case of what? If kept in a hot area (cockpit, trailer, etc) insulation will not keep contents cool for long.
Old January 26th 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

A good quality charger and good quality SLA battery, stored in proper conditions, will last 10 years with still a large percentage of their original capacity. Time kills them eventually, but much more often abuse by people and bad chargers kills them.
Old January 26th 17, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 3:45:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Evan: I get good service (several years) out of the batteries that I take home between flights and charge right away (and then disconnect from the charger). The battery that died was the one I left in the trailer all summer. It was fairly old even before I used it for that purpose. I would have just assumed it died of old age. But, the club batteries died too. And they were only 1 year old, that's annoying. And I don't really know how often they were left in the gliders. (Nor how good are the club chargers that they get left on for long periods.)

If we were to switch from SLA to, e.g., LiFePO4 batteries (as you have), will they survive the heat for long? How long? They cost about 5 times as much... And the promised large number of "cycles" is irrelevant if they too die after a few years due to age alone. We only subject most batteries to dozens of cycles per year.

lol. Moshe, you are doing a nice job of highlighting all the short comings of SLA batteries. Are you sure you like them? :-)

I ran across some 20 year old Sonnenshein 7 AH SLA batteries this Summer that would run an LNav and a radio for 3 - 4 hours (if you weren't too chatty!). Those batteries were very obviously much better quality (and more expensive) than currently available cheap SLAs all of which seem to be made in China. "Modern" SLAs seem to die after 2 - 3 seasons no matter what. And of course there are many ways to kill them much faster.

I didn't switch to LFP for reasons of economy... although you're making the case here that the economy of SLA batteries in our club environment is pretty bad! I switched for reasons of reliability, useful capacity, cold weather performance, & fast charging. The light weight is nice too if wrestling a 12AH battery into an awkward space is something you have to do (and I do). Four full seasons on that battery now. I tested it after 3 full seasons and it tested at 12.05 AH.

I think the club gliders ought to be on LFP batteries too... but so far I have been over ruled by the upper valley cheapskates.

best,
Evan

Old January 26th 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Excessive heat for any battery will shorten its life, some faster than others.
Overcharging is just another form of overheating, maybe you never felt a battery surface during a high rate charge.

Many years ago, dark ages of early NiCad use in RC cars, the goal was to charge a pack at a moderate rate until full, then top off a number of times just prior to a race. This made sure the pack was full and the heat reduced the internal resistance for max power.
Too much heat caused venting of the internal "stuff" which also reduced capacity.

Modern chemistries have varying levels of resistance to the negative effects of over charging/excessive heat. Think of hot LiPo batteries........
Old January 26th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

In my previous LAK-17a I had a lot of electric doo-dads: ClearNav
Vario, Trig TT22 transponder, MicroAir 760 radio, TruTrak turn
indicator, MRX PCAS, Dell Streak 5, and my two SLA batteries were on
their last gasps at the end of a 6 hour flight. After switching to two
LiFePO4 batteries, I seldom, if ever, switched in the second battery.
They just last and last in service. I can't say anything for the
longevity since I sold the glider after two years with the lithium
batteries.

Now I have more electric goodies than before in my Stemme. Thank
goodness for the solar panels as a 9 AH SLA will only last about 2 hours
on a cloudy day and I don't like to use the engine battery to run
soaring goodies. Who knows - I might actually need to start the engine...

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 1st 17, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 2:22:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I am still using sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries, because they are cheap and give good service for several years in my experience. The power needed in my glider is modest so even on a long flight the battery does not get fully discharged, that lengthens its life. I take the battery home when I am done flying, charge it, and keep it in moderate temperatures.

Last summer I kept a spare battery in the glider trailer, in case I forget to bring a battery to the airport when I go there to fly. At the end of the season I tested the charge capacity of that spare battery along with my other ones and some owned by our club. I found that the battery that was stored in the trailer was pretty much useless, even though it was good before that summer, and not that old. It held much less charge than some much older batteries that I have. It was never used during the summer, and its voltage held up, but measured capacity (amp-hours) was reduced to a fraction of 1 AH by the fall.

Also, some club batteries that were perhaps left in the club gliders for weeks on end lost most of their charge capacity, despite being less than 2 years old. The latter may be due to being left in an uncharged state for a while, I don't know, since the club does not keep battery charging records.. But it could also be due to the hot summer temperatures in the glider cockpits, whether tied out or in the trailer? Not Arizona-hot, but even in Vermont on sunny summer days the temperature inside a glider on the ground can reach well above 100 degrees F.

So, is it useless to store a spare SLA battery in the trailer?

I switched to LiFepo4 several years ago, have a 9Amp for the transponder and a 15Amp for everything else. Great battery, never have had a problem and never ran out of juice, got them from the manufacture but Cumulus also sells them. they also sell a charger for not much more $112.00 for both. Product link https://www.bioennopower.com/collect...d-green-case-1

LiFePO4 Batteries vontresc Soaring 56 June 27th 14 07:25 PM
NIMH Batteries K M Soaring 23 December 9th 08 09:27 PM
AGM Batteries Dave Anderer Owning 13 March 29th 08 07:38 PM
2-Batteries [email protected] Soaring 69 January 4th 07 04:09 AM
160 new batteries Mal Soaring 0 October 27th 06 11:36 AM