Flarm Config File Parser/Interpreter?

Old April 12th 17, 06:05 AM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa3[_2_] View Post
Has anyone built a utility that reads a config file and spits out a "readable" interpretation of the parameters and values? I'm sitting with the manual and my config file trying to make sure all of the values are what I expected based on what I thought I put into the configuration utility. I can do this - I just don't want to. Can't imagine how someone without an IT background makes sense of how their FLARM is configured.

P3
I don't know if anyone has built a utility, other than what has been mentioned on this thread, so I took a look at the Flarm Configuration Specification today and agree that it is written by IT geeks for IT geeks...although I've seen worse! I did a little coding tonight and could probably provide something of interest for you in a few days time. Yes, I'm one of those IT geeks!

If interested in seeing what I come up with, when I get it, email me direct at alstonbk at gmail dot com.

Safe soaring!

Brad.
Old April 12th 17, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flarm Config File Parser/Interpreter?

I'm about 95% finished coding a nice iPhone based Powerflarm configurator.
My Flarmview had been giving me a message that said their was an issue with the config file and I finally tracked down the not so obvious detail on Sunday.

I need to do the storyboard for the iphone 5 screen size and then submit to Apple, so it's pretty close to being finished.

I had hoped to utilize the iXpand USB stick from SanDisk to go direct from iphone to PowerFlarm, but I'm not sure the PowerFlarm will play nice with the SanDisk USB. I need to test that again.

Plan B is iphone app to email to clubhouse computer to USB to PowerFlarm.

Mark
Old April 12th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 4:16:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I had hoped to utilize the iXpand USB stick from SanDisk to go direct from
iphone to PowerFlarm, but I'm not sure the PowerFlarm will play nice with the
SanDisk USB. I need to test that again.

I've had good luck using the HooToo USB drive to transfer files from the PowerFLARM to iPhone.

And I would be very interested in the config utility as well.

-Tom

Old April 14th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What's an "iPhone"? Â* :-)

The iPhone is a slightly more sophisticated communication system than the telegraph or teletype, requiring a basic knowledge of a "QWERTY" typewriter keyboard and thumbs that will eventually evolve into pinpoints. Also used to eliminate basic rules of proper grammar and spelling ability, as Apple knows what you really meant. Usually used by introverts afraid to communicate by voice. Less sophisticated than the "telephone," which allowed users to transmit and receive data via simple conversation. Also encourages and reinforces Pavlovian response to stimulus, as another iPhone user's ding, ring or other signal is often misinterpreted by others as a "CRITICAL" alert which requires them to reflexively twitch and reach for their own electronic leash.
Old April 14th 17, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mark , you missed your calling, you should have been a technical writer for Apple! Lol
Old April 14th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes, and he can spell and punctuate, too!

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 14th 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For PowerFLARM: http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/to...ore_config.php

Not sure if this works for older FLARM.

Christoph
Old April 17th 17, 08:27 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa3[_2_] View Post
Has anyone built a utility that reads a config file and spits out a "readable" interpretation of the parameters and values?
P3
Finished the initial coding for the FLARMCFG.TXT file parsing; output below based on the example file JS provided previously. This is pretty ugly but can be polished up without too much trouble...if anyone is still interested?

Safe soaring!
Brad.

Parameter: NMEAOUT1 Setting: 73 NMEA Ver. 7 - FLARM (inc. PGRMZ) only
Parameter: BAUD1 Setting: 5 57.6 kBaud
Parameter: NMEAOUT2 Setting: 73 NMEA Ver. 7 - FLARM (inc. PGRMZ) only
Parameter: BAUD2 Setting: 5 57.6 kBaud
Parameter: RANGE Setting: 65535 (Unlimited)
Parameter: VRANGE Setting: 2000 m (6562 ft)
Parameter: ADSBRANGE Setting: 6000 m (19685 ft)
Parameter: ADSBVRANGE Setting: 1000 m (3281 ft)
Parameter: PCASRANGE Setting: 3000 m (9843 ft)
Parameter: PCASVRANGE Setting: 800 m (2625 ft)
Parameter: MODEC Setting: 1 (On)
Parameter: OWNMODEC Setting: 0 (Off)
Parameter: PCASCALIBRATION Setting: 30
Parameter: XPDR Setting: 2 (Mode-S)
Parameter: MODESALT Setting: 1 (On)
Parameter: PCASBEEP Setting: 0 (Off)
Parameter: PCASPFLAU1 Setting: 1
Parameter: PCASPFLAU2 Setting: 1
Parameter: AUDIOOUT Setting: 0 (Off)
Parameter: AUDIOVOLUME Setting: 100
Parameter: ID Setting: YOUR 6-DIG
Parameter: ACFT Glider/Motor Glider Setting: 1
Parameter: PILOT Setting: YOUR NAME HERE
Parameter: LOGINT Setting: 4 s
Parameter: GLIDERID Setting: YOUR REGISTRATION
Parameter: GLIDERTYPE Setting: YOUR GLIDER
Parameter: COMPCLASS Setting: YOUR CLASS
Parameter: COMPID Setting: YOUR ID
Parameter: PRIV Setting: 0 (Off)
Parameter: NOTRACK Setting: 0 (Off)