Pictures Showing WWII Rotary Engine Crankshaft Arrangements: Where, Please ?

Old November 7th 03, 09:56 PM
Bob

Default Pictures Showing WWII Rotary Engine Crankshaft Arrangements: Where, Please ?

Hello;

I spent a fair amount of time searching, but just cannot find any.

I am trying to locate pictures that show the crankshaft arrangement(s), and how
they work for WWII style rotary engines. e.g., the Wasp series by P&W.

Might anyone be able to point me to a site with a few pictures ?

Very curious about how the crankshaft was arranged so as not to interfere
with the piston rods, etc.

Thanks,
Bob
Old November 7th 03, 10:34 PM
JDupre5762

You might try looking for Radial engines. Rotary types were used in WW1 and
were long obsolete by WWII. Pratt and Whitney never built any.

John Dupre'

Old November 7th 03, 11:09 PM
Dave Kearton

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Hello;

I spent a fair amount of time searching, but just cannot find any.

I am trying to locate pictures that show the crankshaft arrangement(s),

and how
they work for WWII style rotary engines. e.g., the Wasp series by P&W.

Might anyone be able to point me to a site with a few pictures ?

Very curious about how the crankshaft was arranged so as not to interfere
with the piston rods, etc.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob

Look for this thread on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation. I've got a
scan from one of my father's text books that shows the crankshaft and
connecting rod arrangements for a Bristol 'Pegasus' 9 cyl radial.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 7th 03, 11:11 PM
eg

Bob,

A rotary engine had the crankshaft connected to the firewall and the
crankcase rotated. What you may be asking about is a radial. Popular
Mechanics has a nice article about aviation milestones including engines in
this months issue. I checked their web site, we'll have to wait til next
month to see it there.

BTW: there was only one throw on the crankshaft of a radial.

Old November 8th 03, 01:57 AM

"eg" wrote:

BTW: there was only one throw on the crankshaft of a radial.

True only for a single row radial...some have as many as four
throws, for example the 28 cyl, four row 'R-4360'.
--

-Gord.
Old November 8th 03, 05:44 AM
WaltBJ

Radial engines do have one 'master' rod per throw. The other rods on
that bank of cylinders are connected to journals (lower end bearings)
on the master rod.
FWIW the master rod looks kind of like a banjo with the other
connecting rod lower end bearings arranged on an arc equidistant from
the main journal on the crankshaft. Each of the other connectings
rods is clamped about its own journal. You can see the sides of the
bottom of the master rod has to be split so as to hold the journals
between its two parts. As the crank rotates the bottom end of the
master rod goes around with it, dragging the other rods along. Of
course all the pistons go up and down and push the whole assembly
around. If you think this is complicated, the P&W R4360 has four banks
(a four-throw crankshaft) with 7 cylinders per bank. Your local
library probably has a book in its files that wll explain the matter
in more detail, hopefully with pictures.
Walt BJ
Old November 8th 03, 07:47 AM
J. Severyn

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Hello;

I spent a fair amount of time searching, but just cannot find any.

I am trying to locate pictures that show the crankshaft arrangement(s),

and how
they work for WWII style rotary engines. e.g., the Wasp series by P&W.

Might anyone be able to point me to a site with a few pictures ?

Very curious about how the crankshaft was arranged so as not to interfere
with the piston rods, etc.

Thanks,
Bob

Animated Rotary Engine see:
http://www.keveney.com/gnome.html

John Severyn

Old November 8th 03, 11:23 AM
Cub Driver

I am trying to locate pictures that show the crankshaft arrangement(s), and how
they work for WWII style rotary engines. e.g., the Wasp series by P&W.

The Wasp was not a rotary engine, but a radial. I'm reasonably sure
that rotary engines were not used after 1918.

Rotary = cylinders and propeller spin around a fixed crankshaft.

Radial = fixed cylinders arranged around a spinning crankshaft which
in turn spins the prop. Typically there were 7 or 9 cylinders in each
bank, and by 1941 it was usual to have more than one bank.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 8th 03, 06:08 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Radial engines do have one 'master' rod per throw. The other rods on
that bank of cylinders are connected to journals (lower end bearings)
on the master rod.

This might help understand the basics of how all that stuff goes
around:
http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/radial.htm

along with this animation:
http://www.wsaa.net/radial.htm

More explanations and animations:
http://travel.howstuffworks.com/radial-engine1.htm
(see also links at the end of the series of articles)

These are some of the people who sell plans and apparently at least
partial kits:
http://www.cincinnati.com/ageless/

This place seems to have some models, though the link to the aircraft
stuff is broken:
http://www.railwayshop.com/radial_engines.shtml

Some close-ups of innards:
http://www.robart.com/R780/r780con.html

Miscellaneous labors of love with link to a discussion forum:
http://www.engine-museum.com/

Cheers,
--Joe

V-8 powered Seabee Corky Scott Home Built 212 October 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Mistral Rotary Engine x Home Built 6 June 2nd 04 03:08 PM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
1710 allison v-12 engine WWII p 38 engine Holger Stephan Home Built 9 August 21st 03 08:53 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM