Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION)

Old February 22nd 04, 07:24 AM
Krztalizer

To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile?

Do you understand why the exact answer might be classified?

Old February 22nd 04, 07:43 AM
fudog50

tenth of a mile? thats about a hundred yards! what the heck does that
matter? you gonna try and defense a supersonic missle with a hundred
yards to spare? what the heck are you thinking about??

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:11:24 -0800, eXistenZ
wrote:

Anyone who knows the answer to this Question Please help me in any way
possible,.

To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile?

most military websites claim 100 Nautical miles
while other sites say 110 nautical miles,.

but my friend here claims it is over 200 Nautical miles
Does anyone know the most accurate answer to this question to the
nearest tenth of a mile?

Thanks - The Drake

Old February 22nd 04, 08:54 AM
John Keeney

"eXistenZ" wrote in message
Anyone who knows the answer to this Question Please help me in any way
possible,.

To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile?

most military websites claim 100 Nautical miles
while other sites say 110 nautical miles,.

but my friend here claims it is over 200 Nautical miles
Does anyone know the most accurate answer to this question to the
nearest tenth of a mile?

Here comes the "if I told you, I'ld have to kill you jokes" and the
"that's classified and why do you want to know ya' dang spy"

Besides, the nearest tenth would depend very heavily on the exact
engagement parameters: height, speed & course of both the
F-14 and the target. Heck, probably on which particular AIM-54A
and quite possibly which TomCat.

Hmm, I suspect a valid shot solution on a space shuttle coming in
for a landing would depend on the max range setting on the radar:
big RCS, unmanuverable, coming closer really fast but slowing down
to a manageable closing rate for end game.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:44 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

wrote:

To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile?

Oh please....the answer is obviously classified. It's also variable,
depending on a number of environmental factors.

most military websites claim 100 Nautical miles
while other sites say 110 nautical miles,.
but my friend here claims it is over 200 Nautical miles

All three figures are pure fiction.

The 110 mile figure comes from a missile test many years ago. The
Phoenix was launched when the target was 110 miles away. But since
the target was flying *towards* the missile at considerable speed, the
actual distance covered by the missile was much less - closer to 70
miles. That's the actual maximum range of the missile.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old February 22nd 04, 03:09 PM
Pechs1

sindrake- To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a
AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile? BRBR

Classified....

but my friend here claims it is over 200 Nautical miles

Yer friend is FOS...

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 22nd 04, 05:37 PM
Tom Cooper

"eXistenZ" wrote in message
Anyone who knows the answer to this Question Please help me in any way
possible,.

To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile?

The longest-ranged AIM-54A-shot I've ever heard so far was scored during
some kind of a testing, against a high+fast flying drone, in early 1979s.
The missile hit the target 204km from the launching point ( i.e. after
indeed crossing 204km).

The longest-ranged shot for a kill was scored in December 1981, when two
IRIAF F-14As engaged four incoming Iraqi Mirage F.1EQs. The Tomcats fired
several AIM-54As from a distance of some 140km+.

Their kills were confirmed by independent sources (including US, Iranian,
Iraqi, and Saudi).

Few years later there should've been an even more spectacular shot that
killed a fast accelerating-away (Soviet-flown) Iraqi MiG-25, but I don't
have all the details about that case, so can't call it a "confirmed" as of
yet.

most military websites claim 100 Nautical miles
while other sites say 110 nautical miles,.

Eventually, this should depend on the version: most of books from the 1980s
state the range of the AIM-54A was "100nm". Most of the books from the 1990s
state the range of the AIM-54C was "up to "110nm".

It was definitely never more than this: quite on the contrary, the usual
engagement ranges in combat were between 40 and 70km.

Tom Cooper
Freelance Aviation Journalist & Historian
Vienna, Austria

Author:
Iran-Iraq War in the Air, 1980-1988:
http://www.acig.org/pg1/content.php

Iranian F-4 Phantom II Units in Combat
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...hp/title=S6585

African MiGs
http://www.acig.org/afmig/

Arab MiG-19 & MiG-21 Units in Combat
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...=S6550~ser=COM

Old February 23rd 04, 03:32 AM
Elmshoot

I remember talking to a Tomcat backseater who was up for an exercise to try and
get a fireing solution against a overflying SR-71. He spent about 5 minutes
explaining the problems of getting within about 3 degree position off his each
others nose and the window to get a solution was mere seconds. Pretty
interesting stuff . He never got to the window but had a hell of a time trying
to get there.

I guess the Black bird turned around so they made multiple runs. The TALOS
shooter was also trying to get a position on him. I think the SM-2 er wasn't
even a player.
Sparky