Flying Video...

Old January 3rd 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying Video...

As you guys know a few weeks ago I was messing with putting a camera
into the plane... so I did, and recorded my flight on new years day
from Honolulu to Lana'i.

I still have to tweek the filter setup as the lighting didn't work out
perfectly. Also I need to work out a way to stabilize it a bit more,
because regardless of how soft I land it gives it a nice shake at
touchdown... (don't mind the wheel shimmy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyals4jYJBM

Old January 3rd 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I still have to tweek the filter setup as the lighting didn't work out
perfectly. Also I need to work out a way to stabilize it a bit more,
because regardless of how soft I land it gives it a nice shake at
touchdown... (don't mind the wheel shimmy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyals4jYJBM

Nice video. It would be good to see some more of the scenery!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

:
: I still have to tweek the filter setup as the lighting didn't work out
: perfectly. Also I need to work out a way to stabilize it a bit more,
: because regardless of how soft I land it gives it a nice shake at
: touchdown... (don't mind the wheel shimmy)
:
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyals4jYJBM
:

Thanks, gets the point across! I flew there many years ago... Nice to see they didn't move Diamond Head.

Old January 3rd 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message
ps.com...
As you guys know a few weeks ago I was messing with putting a camera
into the plane... so I did, and recorded my flight on new years day
from Honolulu to Lana'i.

I still have to tweek the filter setup as the lighting didn't work out
perfectly. Also I need to work out a way to stabilize it a bit more,
because regardless of how soft I land it gives it a nice shake at
touchdown... (don't mind the wheel shimmy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyals4jYJBM

Not bad at all. A little fill lighting on the panel might solve the problem.
I doubt you are going to overcome the shake on landing without spending a
whole lot of money.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nice video. It would be good to see some more of the scenery!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

It was a little rainy and hazy in some parts and it dirtied up my
windshield, after I cleaned it off in Lanai the video was a lot
better... but I ran out of tape in flight and decided not to post that
part. Once I work out the lighting it should be a whole lot nicer view
out the winshield.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not bad at all. A little fill lighting on the panel might solve the problem.
I doubt you are going to overcome the shake on landing without spending a
whole lot of money.'

Thats not the part I'm worried about, I'm talking about the moment the
wheels touched the ground... made it seem like I junked the landing,
even though it was a really nice landing.

Old January 3rd 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

wrote in message
ps.com

Good video.

I still have to tweek the filter setup as the lighting didn't work out
perfectly.

Yeah, I have similar issues when trying to capture both internal and
external action in the same frame. I haven't tried a split ND filter yet,
but that's probably the best bet.

Also I need to work out a way to stabilize it a bit more,
because regardless of how soft I land it gives it a nice shake at
touchdown... (don't mind the wheel shimmy)

When I've got the camera mounted on a tripod in the back (like you appear to
have done), I've found it works well for me to raise the tripod so the
camera is "wedged" against the roof of the plane.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old January 3rd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

wrote:

As you guys know a few weeks ago I was messing with putting a camera
into the plane... so I did, and recorded my flight on new years day
from Honolulu to Lana'i.

I still have to tweek the filter setup as the lighting didn't work out
perfectly. Also I need to work out a way to stabilize it a bit more,
because regardless of how soft I land it gives it a nice shake at
touchdown... (don't mind the wheel shimmy)

At the time of your posts you said you wanted the camera in the backseat
because you wanted to show the pilot and the panel in the shot. I said
you wanted the camera on the top of the panel as there wouldn't be
anything of value to see on the panel. I was right. You can't make out
anything on the panel, it's too blurry, and you're left with a pillbox
view of the outside. And there's a blob sitting on the left side of the
plane just blocking everything. Put the camera on the top of the panel
and make another flight and see if you don't like it better. I know
that's where I put mine. The reason for the video for me is what's
outside. I'm a pilot and I don't care what's going on on the panel.
It's a Cherokee, how intersting can it be anyways? Non pilots really
won't care as it won't make any sense in the first place.