CFI Renewal really 16 hours!!??

Old August 24th 04, 08:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default CFI Renewal really 16 hours!!??

I noticed that American Flyers and AOPA both say their on-line CFI
renewal is 16hours!!! Is this true of all the CFI on-line renewals?
This seems insane.

-Robert
Old August 24th 04, 09:16 PM
RobertsCFI

Well, I think the "16 hour" thing may be an FAA requirement (in order to get
the program approved as a FIRC).

About a year ago, I renewed my CFI using Gleim's on-line program. If you do it
the way it's supposed to be done, then it will probably take you at least 16
hours. Each of the 16 modules in Gleim's program consists of a 20-question
"pre-test" (which is required but does not count toward your grade), a lesson
outline (15 - 25 pages), and a 10-question quiz.

Overall, I though the Gleim program was pretty good. The lesson outlines are in
Adobe Acrobat and can easily be printed out for study or review. After I
completed the program, I printed out my graduation certificate and renewed
through the local FSDO. Gleim can also do the renewal directly (I think this
costs an extra $29 or so).

E. Roberts, CFI
Old August 25th 04, 01:24 AM
C J Campbell

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
I noticed that American Flyers and AOPA both say their on-line CFI
renewal is 16hours!!! Is this true of all the CFI on-line renewals?
This seems insane.

Actually, I liked the AOPA on-line course.

Old August 25th 04, 05:57 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"C J Campbell" wrote in
:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
I noticed that American Flyers and AOPA both say their on-line CFI
renewal is 16hours!!! Is this true of all the CFI on-line renewals?
This seems insane.

Actually, I liked the AOPA on-line course.

I did the Gleim renewal. Took me about 3 hours. Did it in one evening.

Old August 25th 04, 03:13 PM
Robert M. Gary

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
I noticed that American Flyers and AOPA both say their on-line CFI
renewal is 16hours!!! Is this true of all the CFI on-line renewals?
This seems insane.

Actually, I liked the AOPA on-line course.

The only thing I have against AOPA is that you have to pay ever year.
I decided to use American Flyers. All this info is just the same stuff
we studied when we got our CFI. If I'm going to do this to jump for
the FAA I might as well save money by only paying once.

BTW: The time requirement is stupid. If I could just jump ahead to the
tests I could easily pass them the first time. I think the 16 hours
requirement is just a legacy of the old seminar renewals (which took
16 hours).

-Robert
Old August 25th 04, 08:22 PM
Robert M. Gary

(SelwayKid) wrote in message . com...
(Robert M. Gary) wrote in message . com...
I noticed that American Flyers and AOPA both say their on-line CFI
renewal is 16hours!!! Is this true of all the CFI on-line renewals?
This seems insane.

-Robert

Robert
The FAA requirement for CFI renewal dropped from 20 hours to 16 in
about 1994. There are core courses that have to be covered and
electives that depend on who is offering or hosting the renewal. All
have to meet the FAA criteria and all are very much the same. I taught
refreshers (FIRCS) for a number of years when it was still 20 hours
and required a full weekend. The online courses or the correspondence
courses are designed to make you hit the books if you aren't current
and bring you up to date on new developments. I've done the Jeppesen,
AOPA and Gleim online refreshers and they are all fine. It boils down
to price now and who offers an online renewal of your certificate at a
reasonable fee.
It beats the costs of travel, meals and lodging for a two night stay
if you had to travel away from home. But, online also lacks the
personal interplay with other instructors and the resulting
networking. In my case I prefer the online for convenience and cost.
Cheers
Selway Kid CFII/RAM Gold Seal (1967)

My complaint is that there is a test at the end of each section. I can
pass those tests right now, why do I need to sit in front of the
computer for 16 hours? I still remember all the FOI and CFI stuff.
-Robert