ATC mutiny brewing

Old October 8th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Godwin

Default ATC mutiny brewing

Michael Ash wrote in
:

Domestic or international? I couldn't say I'm too surprised to
hear that about a domestic flight, although I thought they'd do
better.

It was a coast-to-coast domestic flight.

For International, I "took a chance and flew Air France" (a very
enjoyable flight).

I would probably take Aeroflot before considering United. g

Old October 8th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student John Godwin wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:

Domestic or international? I couldn't say I'm too surprised to
hear that about a domestic flight, although I thought they'd do
better.

It was a coast-to-coast domestic flight.

For International, I "took a chance and flew Air France" (a very
enjoyable flight).

The foreign national carriers are often very nice. Being subsidized and
not having to turn a profit has certain advantages, especially if you
aren't paying taxes in the country in question.

I would probably take Aeroflot before considering United. g

Can't say I'd blame you. I think my last experience with United resulted
in them stranding me in Beijing for a day after they cancelled my flight
during the SARS scare and didn't bother to inform me of the change.
Although other airliners are often scarcely better, and these bad
experiences are frequently the luck of the draw more than anything.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old October 9th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike[_4_]

FAA EEO wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Matt Barrow wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

YougotitSam wrote:

Here is the FAA's new priority with your tax money. Keep in mind we
have RECORD airline delays

Neither the FAA nor the Air Force would have the authority to fix the
record airline delays. It would take the ability to put into place
procedures that the air line lobby and their bought off flaks in
congress and the executive branch would never allow.

Or automation (that would allow such procedures) that the unions have
opposed, and the funding structure that does not create a revenue
stream that allows such modernization.

It's mostly about commuter jets and not enough runways at major airports.

Atlanta recently spent BILLIONS on a 5th runway and the delays there now
are WORSE than when they had 4 runways. Apparently it is more than just
a runway problem

The facts are the FAA is out of control and is filled with incompetent
women and minorities in senior management positions.

Dance around it all day but the problem is
BAD AND INCOMPETENT FAA MANAGEMENT

PERIOD

The truth of the matter...
yes, Atlanta and the airlines (not the FAA) spent $billions on the 5th
runway. Flight delays immediately decreased significantly. A couple of
months later one of the otehr 4 runways was shut down for about 5 or 6
months for "renovations". During that time the airport again operated
with 4 runways and delays did increase to even worse than before the 5th
runway was completed. Once that runway was put back into service,
delays dropped back to the lower, almost acceptable, levels. Can you
imagine the problems if the 5th runway had not been built and Atlanta
had to operate on 3 runways while the one was renovated.
The biggest cause of flight delays is the airline scheduling and use of
more Regional jets on the same runways... RJs take essentially the same
runway space as traditional jets and only carry 1/4 to 1/3 as many
passangers. More airline flights trying to use the same runways, so
something has to give.
Mike: N44979 Archer II at RYY

Old October 9th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
FAA Civil Rights

Mike wrote:
FAA EEO wrote:

YougotitSam wrote:

[...]

The ATL 10/28 was originally supposed to be a commuter
runway only. The Federal Government or FAA whatever you want
to call it kicked in quite a bit of the money also. I still
say you can build 50 new runways but if you can't modernize
and you treat your key personnel like crap it won't matter
what you do. The FAA has ruined the controller relationship
and caved into big contractors and purchased crap equipment
that has to be re-engineered in the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7h1ETVTBs

Unqualified and Incompetent FAA Management has led to the
mess the ATC system is in. I am not sure short of a NASA
type overhaul like after the shuttle Challenger blew up if
anything of substance will be done. Sadly the FAA has not
had it's Challenger. Yet.

Here is the FAA priority with our tax money now.I am not
sure what this link has to do with Air Safety but
the FAA cares more about this crap than their mission now.
Most of the FAA is consumed with political correctness and
could care less about aviation. It's all about Kumbaya and
Diversity. The Emperor has no clothes.

https://employees.faa.gov/employee_s...ions_programs/

Old October 9th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:43:27 -0400, Mike wrote
in :

The biggest cause of flight delays is the airline scheduling and use of
more Regional jets on the same runways... RJs take essentially the same
runway space as traditional jets and only carry 1/4 to 1/3 as many
passangers. More airline flights trying to use the same runways, so
something has to give.

It would appear that the majority of Boeing's airliner production is
the 737 (118 to 215 seats*) currently:

Boeing Reports Third-Quarter 2007 Deliveries

CHICAGO, Oct. 04, 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today
announced deliveries across its commercial and defense operations
for the third quarter of 2007.

Major program deliveries during the third quarter were as follows:

Major Programs 3rd Quarter
2007 Year-to-Date
2007
Commercial Airplanes Programs
737 81 250
747 5 12
767 3 9
777 20 58
Total 109 329

Integrated Defense Systems Programs
Apache (New Builds)
9 17
Chinook (New Builds)
1 7
C-17
4 12
C-32/C-40 0 2
F/A-18E/F and EA-18G 11 33
Satellites (Government & Commercial) 1 4
T-45TS 2 7
F-15 3 6
Delta II - Commercial 1 2
###

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737
Old October 9th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike[_4_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

Yes, the 737 has been the most popular passenger jet for some time now.
But, the number of aircraft delivered by Boeing is not very
signicicant... Check the number of aircraft delivered or in use by US
airlines and you will find a huge increase in the use of Regional Jets.
Remember, Boeing does not manufacture a RJ (neither does Airbus). The
big RJ producers are Bombardier (Canadair RJ) and Embracer. Also, you
can't look at the aircraft 'owned' by the major airlines because most of
the RJs are flown by the "Commuter" airlines (ASA, Comair, American
Eagle, etc.)
Go to the major airport hubs where the long queues form for takeoff and
look at aircraft types... about half will be RJs these days. (Because
they fly shorter routes and turn around faster, they make more take-offs
and landings than larger, 'standard' jets, compounding the problem.)
Mike

ATC mutiny brewing Password Piloting 4 October 4th 07 10:36 PM
Perfect Storm Brewing in the Persian Gulf [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 November 19th 06 02:48 AM
Control Tower Controversy brewing in the FAA PlanetJ Instrument Flight Rules 168 December 6th 03 01:51 PM
Control Tower Controversy brewing in the FAA PlanetJ Piloting 167 December 6th 03 01:51 PM