PC IFR simulators

Old October 10th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Nick Kliewer

Default PC IFR simulators

As MS Flight Sim X is fixin to be released, I am wondering if I couldn't
get a better IFR simulator for similar money? I am currently using MS
Flight Sim for help on keeping procedures fresh -- but there are a lot
of things that aren't very realistic about IFR on MSFS. I imagine since
it's so visually oriented but I don't really care about the graphics.

Any of y'all use a PC sim that you recommend?

Thanks,
Nick Kliewer PPASEL-IA

Old October 10th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Nick Kliewer wrote:
As MS Flight Sim X is fixin to be released, I am wondering if I couldn't
get a better IFR simulator for similar money? I am currently using MS
Flight Sim for help on keeping procedures fresh -- but there are a lot
of things that aren't very realistic about IFR on MSFS. I imagine since
it's so visually oriented but I don't really care about the graphics.

Any of y'all use a PC sim that you recommend?

Thanks,
Nick Kliewer PPASEL-IA

I can only say that I blew a lot of money on ASA's On Top and IPTrainer
and never got them to work. ASA's software efforts seem to be a lot
lacking.
Old October 10th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Noel

In article ,
Nick Kliewer wrote:

As MS Flight Sim X is fixin to be released, I am wondering if I couldn't
get a better IFR simulator for similar money? I am currently using MS
Flight Sim for help on keeping procedures fresh -- but there are a lot
of things that aren't very realistic about IFR on MSFS. I imagine since
it's so visually oriented but I don't really care about the graphics.

Any of y'all use a PC sim that you recommend?

x-plane

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 11th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hamish Reid

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Nick Kliewer wrote:
As MS Flight Sim X is fixin to be released, I am wondering if I couldn't
get a better IFR simulator for similar money? I am currently using MS
Flight Sim for help on keeping procedures fresh -- but there are a lot
of things that aren't very realistic about IFR on MSFS. I imagine since
it's so visually oriented but I don't really care about the graphics.

Any of y'all use a PC sim that you recommend?

Thanks,
Nick Kliewer PPASEL-IA

I can only say that I blew a lot of money on ASA's On Top and IPTrainer
and never got them to work. ASA's software efforts seem to be a lot
lacking.

They (or at least On Top) worked fine for me, even on my pathetic little
laptop. There was a little initial irritation with the yoke control
sensitivity, but after working out which button to hit when, it's all
worked nicely for me for a long while. Wouldn't have done my IFR
training without it.

Now if only I had a decent Windows box to run something better on... :-)

Hamish
Old October 11th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Look at the list of FAA training devices, they require
realistic controls. They also cost more money, start a
club.

Old October 11th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I've been teaching IFR with Elite since version 1.0. No fancy visuals
but good fidelity. They seem to have lowered their price recently to
become more cost-competitive. ($99 fore core package.)

Ed

Old October 11th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

I wholeheartedly recommend ELITE. A while back I foresaw that I would
likely stop flying but I wanted to keep sharp. I bought Elite because it
was the most accurate representation of a C-172 for IFR I've seen. I have
twice passed IPCs, as if they are just formalities, after not having flown
for two years. I would recommend the IFR syllabus if it's still available.

My last employer was a flight school with a Frasca 142, Elite was as
faithful to the real airplane as the Frasca and about $49K cheaper, IIRC.

Elite was easily the best money I ever spent in aviation.

--

Scott

Old October 11th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman

"tscottme" wrote in message
news
I wholeheartedly recommend ELITE. A while back I foresaw that I would
likely stop flying but I wanted to keep sharp. I bought Elite because it
was the most accurate representation of a C-172 for IFR I've seen. I have
twice passed IPCs, as if they are just formalities, after not having flown
for two years. I would recommend the IFR syllabus if it's still available.

My last employer was a flight school with a Frasca 142, Elite was as
faithful to the real airplane as the Frasca and about $49K cheaper, IIRC.

Elite was easily the best money I ever spent in aviation.

--

Scott

Scott,

Which model or level of ELITE were you using?

Is the basic core product adequate for learning IFR procedures and/or
staying sharp or do you think one needs to go further up the ELITE food
chain?

TIA,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL (Maybe IA Student later this year...Maybe...)
Chandler, AZ

Old October 11th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

At home I use MS FS and X-plane...
Elite http://www.flyelite.com products are very good, but a little more
expansive...

Rocco Caruso