radio / vario interference - HELP!

Old November 1st 03, 09:44 PM
Richard Pfiffner

All the cables in a glider I was having RFI problems with were shielded
with aluminum foil. The RFI continued, as evidenced by squelch on the
Becker Radio 123.3, 123.5 & 123.0. Added more foil around the power
converters, radio, GPS cables, radio antenna cables, power supply cables
etc. the RFI continued. So oviously the foil is not the answer. Unplug any
of the following instruments and the RFI stopped, Ipaq, L-NAV, either CAI
GPS Nav (there were 2). Finally traced the problem to a power converter,
replace it with a PWR-5b that I sell on my website and the problem was
solved, with no aluminum.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Richard
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
I have head that when you start with the aluminum foil, that soon the

entire
cockpit, all the cables, boxes etc will be covered, and the interference
will remain.

Foil covered bundled wires are standard for protecting instrumentation
from electrical noise. It's not quite the same to wrap existing cables
with foil, but it's close. Where did the idea for the steel wool come
from? I'm really curious, because I've never heard of this before.
Generally, steel isn't used as electrical shielding because of it's
relatively poor conductivity.

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
I eventually fixed it by wrapping both the antenna cable and the

power
cable with steel wool (the stuff Grandma used for cleaning pots in

the
kitchen). I pulled a large size shrink wrap over the wool and shrunk

it
in

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)

Old November 2nd 03, 01:43 PM
Simon Waddell

In the case of radiated interference, all the shielding on the world -
aluminium, copper, foil, wire wool etc - is of no use unless it is correctly
earthed (grounded) by a low-impedance at a single point.

Filtering is the correct approach for conducted interference. In most case,
a device that puts HF noise into the power feed (e.g. a swiching power
supply) is radiating as well, so correct screening is also required.

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
All the cables in a glider I was having RFI problems with were shielded
with aluminum foil. The RFI continued, as evidenced by squelch on the
Becker Radio 123.3, 123.5 & 123.0. Added more foil around the power
converters, radio, GPS cables, radio antenna cables, power supply cables
etc. the RFI continued. So oviously the foil is not the answer. Unplug

any
of the following instruments and the RFI stopped, Ipaq, L-NAV, either

CAI
GPS Nav (there were 2). Finally traced the problem to a power

converter,
replace it with a PWR-5b that I sell on my website and the problem was
solved, with no aluminum.

It's always best to eliminate the source! And, of course, if the noise
is being transmitted through the cables instead of radiated into them,
shielding won't help. Filtering usually will, such as the ferrite
cores seen on many cables.