Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down for maintenancefor a couple of months

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 10th 17, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down formaintenance for a couple of months

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 5:00:36 AM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:
At 20:40 09 September 2017, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 17:17:26 +0000, Paul T
wrote:

NO there hasn't always been the Club Class - that didn't evolve until

the
90's - and that took awhile to get established for the same reasons.

You
think a Std. Cirrus is nice looking? Looks like a humped back whale to

me
-

always thought it was the ugliest of the first generation Std. Class

ships.

My club organized a the German Club Class Championchips in 1986,

and
even then it was anything but new. In 1990 it was around at least 15
years in Europe, and it was a huge success right from the start.

Yes but Germany is not the world and I would say for the majority of
national aeroclubs Club Class did not get fully established until the
1990's and indeed the first 'World Championship' was 2001 , after the
World Class whose first championship was in 1997. Indeed I can
remember there was some 'sloth'/resistance to the implementation of
Club Class in the UK, and the USA is still trying to get its act together
on
this class. Indeed their is still some 'snobbery' around, that views Club

Class as a training class to move up to the 'real' FAI classes.

This still does not take away from the fact that we now have 6 FAI
classes for fairly wealthy individuals, and 1 class for the normal income
guys- 'Club Class' - and a rapidly declining number of pilots. The 13.5 m
class with an entry point to buy a competitive ship at least equal to
15m class does not in my opinion help the situation. Over reliance on
only fairly wealthy individuals being able to be competitive at national
and international level is not going to grow the sport.

You are lucky that you fly in Germany where there is fairly easy access
to competitive club ships - for example in the UK there are no civilian
clubs with access to even a competitive standard class ship i.e. Discus
2/LS8, and very few, maybe 2-3 clubs in the USA and Canada. Maybe a
few more clubs with access to a Duo Discus/DG1001 which I suppose
you could use in 20M class.

I'll speak for the US. I don't know what your definition is of the "regular individual" that you seem to think is blocked out. In the US, we have Club, Sports, and Standard classes that all can be flown competitively without having to have the latest glider. Standard in the US is a limited handicap class that allows LS-4, ASW-24, Discus, DG300, etc. to be competitive. If you have one of those gliders, you have 3 national classes you can fly every year.
The World Class died in the US as a competition class because the owners of those gliders(PW-5s) are mostly not competition pilots. They bought the PW-5 because it was sort of a "modern 1-26". Easy to fly. light to rig, not too expensive. They didn't but them to compete.
The reality is that the biggest barrier to competing is not the gliders, but the time and money to go to competitions. Over and over in our polls, time is the biggest issue. Gliders never seem to come up.
FWIW
UH