radio / vario interference - HELP!

Old October 25th 03, 07:15 PM
Chris Davison

Default radio / vario interference - HELP!

A problem with interference, all advice welcome.

..radio by itself works fine...but when I turn the
vario on I get huge amounts of noise (even some with
Squelch ON). Radio is a Dittel FSG50, vario is Cambridge
302/303.

Where do I start looking?

Chris

Old October 26th 03, 03:37 AM
JJ Sinclair

Hi Chris,
I just went through this (breaking squelch) problem with my Borgelt B-100 and I
found some very interesting things:

1. When the NMEA cable from the cambridge GPS was moved near the radio antenna
cable, I got full squelch. Move it away and the squelch went silent.

2. When the cable going to the LCD display was moved near the antenna cable, I
got full squelch. Move it away and the squelch went silent.

My fix was to move the antenna cable (RG-58) to the other side of the
instrument panel and routed it out the right side, about 12 inches AWAY from
all the other cables.
JJ Sinclair
Old October 26th 03, 01:49 PM
Richard Pfiffner

Chris,

All cables are not equal. Make sure you have a shielded cable with ferrite
supressor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 26th 03, 11:30 PM
HL Falbaum

Solved same problem with 302/303 and Dittel FSG70M by rerouting the cable
from 302 to 303 (display). Turn everything on, squelch off and get teh
noise. Then start unplugging cables-start with the 302 to 303 cable. As soon
as the noise quits, you have found it!
Good luck!
--
Hartley Falbaum
ASW27B "KF" USA

Old October 27th 03, 09:20 PM
Ian Forbes

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:15:54 +0000, Chris Davison wrote:

A problem with interference, all advice welcome.

.radio by itself works fine...but when I turn the vario on I get huge
amounts of noise (even some with Squelch ON). Radio is a Dittel FSG50,
vario is Cambridge 302/303.

Where do I start looking?

Chris

I had a similar, but much worse problem, with an early 2 channel Magellan
GPS about 10 years ago. The GPS was mounted in a bracket on the panel of
my Nimbus II. The antenna was remote mounted on top of the instrument
panel with a foot long extension cable. There was a power cable with an
integral DC regulator which plugged into a 12V power socket that I fitted
behind the panel.

The interference was so bad that it would break through the squelch on the
radio of the glider lined up behind me on the start grid!

I eventually fixed it by wrapping both the antenna cable and the power
cable with steel wool (the stuff Grandma used for cleaning pots in the
kitchen). I pulled a large size shrink wrap over the wool and shrunk it in
place. The result was two rather ugly cables of nearly 1 inch diameter -
but no interference!

The 2 channel GPS had a habit of loosing the satellites in a thermal but
on the glides it would lock in and give a readout within a minute or so.
It cost me a small fortune at the time but was much less than price of a
more sophisticated unit. Compared to map reading it was great! I flew many
thousands of km with that setup.

Ian

Old November 1st 03, 01:27 PM
Ian Forbes

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:47:48 +0000, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Where did the idea for the steel wool come from?

I read a tip suggesting steel wool and shrink wrap, as a means of last
resort. I think it may have been in a Sailplane and Gliding magazine.

I experimented and it worked and so it stayed.

(I had already tried various coax cables and grounding arangements without
significant success.)

Ian