RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Old February 8th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Le jeudi 8 février 2018 17:05:30 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:
In 1980 in my winch launch training the instructor released at 400' and only if you flew a straight-in landing toward the winch would he let you solo. I'm sure the same is practiced in the UK but human nature seems to nudge us to fly the pattern.
Herb

All this depends on terrain and wind conditions. At most places in Europe you start to enter the downwind leg at 500-700 ft AGL, so 400 ft would well make for an abbreviated pattern (in standard conditions).

But this is an extremely well researched and written report.

Old February 8th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

torstai 8. helmikuuta 2018 18.43.01 UTC+2 Tango Whisky kirjoitti:

All this depends on terrain and wind conditions. At most places in Europe you start to enter the downwind leg at 500-700 ft AGL, so 400 ft would well make for an abbreviated pattern (in standard conditions).

But this is an extremely well researched and written report.

Agreed, report is excellent. From 280ft even 180 degree turn is not without risks, depending on obstacles on the ground. I wouldn't even try 360 turn from under 500ft. Many airfields are so small that for a moment you cannot land straight or turn 360 if you break the rope or winch cable.
Old February 8th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 10:19:43 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 2/8/2018 9:05 AM, wrote:
snip
Another question: why go flying in such conditions? Speak up at your club if you feel conditions are unsafe for operations.
Herb

Uhhh...Â* Because that's when you can get some of the best flights. If
you don't like the conditions, don't fly.Â* It's as simple as that.Â* Why
should I not fly if you don't like the conditions?Â* Let me make that
decision for myself.

I have taken off in similar conditions many times.Â* Most often I land
quickly due to not finding the lift, but sometimes there's a spectacular
flight in the works!Â* Is this going to turn into the next "Hard Deck"
thread?

And, BTW, our NTSB could learn a lot from the Brits when it comes to
accident reporting of general aviation accidents.
--
Dan, 5J

But you are God's test pilot, Dan. Nobody's business to tell you when not to fly, oh Almighty. For the mere mortals and especially the dummies who don't know better, I suggest some friendly advice might be appropriate. Might save a life here and there...

Old February 9th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My compliments to the AAIB for taking advantage of the data. I had a very
narrow escape from a low level vortex / downburst encounter and am most
grateful.

My Oudie and Air Glide S enabled me to determine the horizontal and
vertical
wind shears.

A vortex can produce a shear of twice the wind aloft.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...DY0Q1Z6NXdsd2s

With other similar accidents I am aware of, the windshear is downwind of
higher terrain or a large building. This accident is different in that the
higher
terrain is absent, but the air flow disturbance seems to have been
generated by
the change in slope profile.

Old February 9th 18, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Well this detailed accident report gives closure, at least to me, on what exactly happened to Matt.
I kinda of felt I got to know him through his awesome videos that I watched again and again.
There is a tough lesson to learn here, however one wants to read into it.
RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark.
Old February 9th 18, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well said.

The pictures from Belleka's GoPro cameras in the report had quite an effect on me. They are hard for me to look at, being simultaneously so familiar yet so foreboding. I must admit feeling dumbstruck when I saw them.

The report was exceptionally informative and thoroughly researched. It is a something of a relief to finally have an answer to the question of how this could have happened. Its sad to lose a friend, even one that you never met.

Matt

Old February 9th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Hill top sites are not uncommon in the UK. Winds can create what I call 'curl' over such sites. My first glider was lost when a partner got caught in the downside of such curl on his downwind and despite abbreviating the circuit failed to make the airfield and crashed in the valley. This was in East Anglia. I once took a winch launch and upon turning final chased the ASI to the ground and a very abrupt stop 50 yards short of the runway in standing barley. This was at Enstone, another hill top site. There is nearly a 400ft difference in elevation between the river bottom west of Exeter and the Dartmoor site, which would result in pretty squirrelly conditions. Having learned soaring in the UK, I'm a bit surprised about some aspects of the event.

Matt's videos are wonderful and I'd just watched Chasing Diamonds a few days prior to hearing of his accident. As I'd flown from Lleweni Parc a few times, including out over the Irish Sea, I really enjoyed this video.

Frank Whiteley
Old February 10th 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 12:41:53 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

"The Clutching Hand"!

Mike
Old February 10th 18, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 5:49:33 AM UTC, Mike the Strike wrote:
[...]

Read the account closely regarding airspeeds, attitudes and known control inputs in the seconds after the cable break. I am surprised about what is not included in this report.