Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

Old May 29th 18, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

The tabs I have seen were about 100mm long, and them bent to the correct amount.
Pretty simple.
Old May 29th 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Trim tab size is the smallest that'll do the job, I'd say 6 or 8 inches long by a couple of inches wide, bent up in the middle about 15 degrees.......then fly and see if that does the job. Glue it to the aileron with Shoe-Glue.........great stuff.
JJ
Old May 29th 18, 07:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Avron[_2_]

In Pik20, the plastic tube that leads the wheel brake cable, comes to the stik fron one side.
Sometime it actualy push the stik aside and cause a slight roll.
Old May 29th 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 10:03:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
It could be a warped wing, there was an article years ago in Australian Gliding detailing a similar problem with a Mosquito, which was cure by heating the wing in a large oven whilst twisted back
allowing it to cool a couple of times.
Ige seen small aluminium tabs on ailerons used to correct minor issues.

Boy, am I hoping it's not a warped wing.

Wing tape is already in use, cleanly applied.

Taped up the inspection ports and am next going to figure out how to seal the apertures around the control rods (it has has the first edition push-pull rods instead of the snap-together twist rods). Will see if that makes a difference and report back. Not going to mess with turnbuckles until we determine that it's not a differential air leak or vacuum.

Cheers,
Chris
Old May 29th 18, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

The next question to ask (if the wing is warped) is one tip twisted up or the other twisted down vs. what the original was?
Guess wrong, the glider may fly straight but have other "less than desirable attributes".
I remember one 2 seat glass trainer that was fine at lower speeds, but the polar nose dived at speed due to the factory wing twist (that helped with stall/spin). Drag went really bad at speed.

Heck, a bad "broken tail boom repair" could have the vertical fin slightly skewed, this can impart a yaw that can show up as you see.
All control surfaces are centered/equal, but the fin is adding yaw.

Has it always been like this, or has it developed over time?
Old May 29th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, given that I have only owned the bird for less than a dozen flights, and the first place I noticed it was on the ferry flight home, I have no idea how long it's pulled to the right. Will have to ask the prior owner.

Old May 29th 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Understood.
Just some additional items to think about and look at.

Hope the resolution is an easy one.