Trailer license problem

Old May 31st 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default Trailer license problem

FWIW - you can order trailer ID tags, engraved or blank, from Ebay or Amazon. Putting one on the trailer might help some of you with your local requirements.

Paul A.
Old May 31st 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:13:02 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
FWIW - you can order trailer ID tags, engraved or blank, from Ebay or Amazon. Putting one on the trailer might help some of you with your local requirements.

Paul A.

Why do so many US glider pilots not have clean title to trailers?
My estimate is 20%.
Jim
Old May 31st 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

I've had 3 glider trailers, only one of which had a clean title. The other 2 came to me from owners in states where trailers have license plates, but no titles. I think that is the major issue we're seeing.

-John, Q3

Old May 31st 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Yup. NJ for example does not require a title for trailers under 2500# (i.e. pretty much every glider trailer ever made).
Old May 31st 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 12:01:20 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:13:02 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
FWIW - you can order trailer ID tags, engraved or blank, from Ebay or Amazon. Putting one on the trailer might help some of you with your local requirements.

Paul A.

Why do so many US glider pilots not have clean title to trailers?
My estimate is 20%.
Jim

My Michigan purchased homebuilt came without a title. My Illinois home state DOT had no problem with creating one.

What I am picking up here is that each state (from and/or to) has its own nuances/hurdles/insanity on getting the trailer properly licensed/titled.

My bottom line is that I believe I can move the trailer across any state line without either a plate, or a title, as long as I have a valid bill of sale (with phone numbers!). Is that a flawed assumption?

- John OHM Ω
Old May 31st 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

You're correct - each state has its own hoops for you to get OK with a trailer. Some don't require title or plates, some require plates and registration but give no title, some require a title to get registration and plates.

I can tell you for sure that if you have a PA plate (we only use one) on your tow vehicle and you pull a trailer without a license plate, you will have trouble with the police even if you have a valid BoS (happened to a friend). Might get away with it with non-PA plate(s) on the tow vehicle, but it all depends on the officer you get...

-John, Q3

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 2:19:58 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω My Michigan purchased homebuilt came without a title. My Illinois home state DOT had no problem with creating one.

Old June 1st 18, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Its incedibly ironic that a country that cant manage the most obvious need for gun laws, where an AR15 can be purchased readily, makes it so Byzantine to buy a trailer.
Only in ‘Murica.
Old June 1st 18, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Well, maybe there needs to be the "NTA", National Trailer Association, to push for trailer reforms. Then, almost anyone can buy and register a trailer whether they need one or not.

/sarcasm.....

Valid point though.
Old June 1st 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 6:55:43 AM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Well, maybe there needs to be the "NTA", National Trailer Association, to push for trailer reforms. Then, almost anyone can buy and register a trailer whether they need one or not.

/sarcasm.....

Valid point though.

"Only a good guy with a trailer can stop a bad guy with a trailer". "I'll give you my trailer if you pry is from my cold dead hands".