A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home built trailer for old glass ship

Old July 18th 18, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default Home built trailer for old glass ship

Any plans or ideas/suggestions out there about how to build a home-built trailer for an old glass ship? I have a line on a Phoebus A for a great price, but it doesn't come with a trailer. Thanks.
Old July 18th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 2:01:21 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
Any plans or ideas/suggestions out there about how to build a home-built trailer for an old glass ship? I have a line on a Phoebus A for a great price, but it doesn't come with a trailer. Thanks.

Hey John,

Before you start building a new trailer, you might try looking through the classifieds. For example, there's at least one decent looking tube trailer on Wings and Wheels in the US.

Also, FWIW, there are usually at least a couple of empty trailers at almost every large gliderport. Depending on where you live, it might be a good idea to take a walk behind the hangars of the local operation and peak around. I found a very nice Schreder trailer for a friend exactly that way years ago.

Erik mann
Old July 18th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:21:06 AM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 2:01:21 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:

Hey John,

Before you start building a new trailer, you might try looking through the classifieds. For example, there's at least one decent looking tube trailer on Wings and Wheels in the US.

Also, FWIW, there are usually at least a couple of empty trailers at almost every large gliderport. Depending on where you live, it might be a good idea to take a walk behind the hangars of the local operation and peak around. I found a very nice Schreder trailer for a friend exactly that way years ago.

Erik mann

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that. My trouble is that I'm in MT and we only have 1 glider operation up here and it's almost 4hrs away, and not very big. The other (slightly closer) operation is about 3 3/4 hrs drive and also not very big. But I'll check the classifieds and ask around to see if there are any old trailers around that are not being used and are in decent shape.
Old July 18th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

John, you might end up needing to build something to accommodate a Phoebus. The wings are a bit wider than most at the root. If you have a place to keep it indoors, you could build an open trailer fairly quickly and for not much money. Depending on what is most available, you can build from wood, steel tube, aluminum sheet, etc. Kampco has ability to bend hoops for you, but their website is not behaving for me right now. A well built wooden trailer that gets the wood well sealed, a layer of glass on it, and gets a good paint job, can last 40 years. Try not to allow any flat surfaces on the top, as they can quickly become "ponds" and this is not good for anything!

There have been plans available for a Ralph Luebke designed trailer, but I can't seem to find where now. You can build a steel frame, aluminum skin trailer using mostly standard 1 inch square, 1/16th inch wall steel tubing. Can build it as a simple box, or hoops from Kampco to round the corners.

Have a look at the W&W classifieds to get ideas on how you could build a trailer. Lots of different ways to make a trailer.

Steve Leonard
Old July 18th 18, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 12:42:53 PM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote:
John, you might end up needing to build something to accommodate a Phoebus. The wings are a bit wider than most at the root. If you have a place to keep it indoors, you could build an open trailer fairly quickly and for not much money. Depending on what is most available, you can build from wood, steel tube, aluminum sheet, etc. Kampco has ability to bend hoops for you, but their website is not behaving for me right now. A well built wooden trailer that gets the wood well sealed, a layer of glass on it, and gets a good paint job, can last 40 years. Try not to allow any flat surfaces on the top, as they can quickly become "ponds" and this is not good for anything!

There have been plans available for a Ralph Luebke designed trailer, but I can't seem to find where now. You can build a steel frame, aluminum skin trailer using mostly standard 1 inch square, 1/16th inch wall steel tubing.. Can build it as a simple box, or hoops from Kampco to round the corners.

Have a look at the W&W classifieds to get ideas on how you could build a trailer. Lots of different ways to make a trailer.

Steve Leonard

Ralph Luebke's plans are no longer available since before his passing.

Frank Whiteley
Old July 18th 18, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 12:01:21 AM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:

John, an ASW-15 is available in Boulder that comes with a really nice Ralph Luebke homebuilt trailer. Send me an e-mail if interested and I'll get the sellers information so you can contact them directly.
Old July 18th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Finding an existing "sorta OK" trailer and retrofitting is likely many times cheaper than starting from scrap.
Yes, if you have a ton of tools, lots of time, etc., maybe building is cheaper.
Maybe.

Great previous comments. Maybe make/modify existing dollies, etc., still likely cheaper in the long run.

Yes, I can "build" a bicycle, motorcycle or car, but starting with something close is usually cheaper and easier.
Maybe not perfect, but what value your time to reinvent the wheel?
Old July 18th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Sheesh....I know someone (late '70's?) that used duct tape, wire, blankets, etc. and made an open Gherlin (sp) trailer take a PIK-20 from NJ to the Midwest after a bad altercation on a highway in NJ to do a contest.

You want perfect, likely costs more than the ship.
Find a cheaper way and bring beer to those that can help out.
Old July 18th 18, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Your preference for build vs. buy-and-modify will vary according to your skills, time available, materials available, used trailers for sale, etc.

The one constant is that if the trailer makes rigging/de-rigging the glider difficult, you will very soon (i) hangar it (great but potentially expensive), (ii) tie it out (tough on the glider), or (iii) dread the whole process every soaring day enough that it will discourage you from flying many days when the weather isn't perfect...but it's perfectly soarable.

Good luck. There are lots of examples out there of "good" trailers and "bad" trailers, both conceptually and in the details, of which I'm sure folks would happily send you photos.

Chip Bearden
Old July 18th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I my experience and opinion, the trailer is more important than the plane.
A pain in the ass trailer than cuts your head/hands/ankles when trying to get the plane in and out is worthless.