Lightspeed Comes Through!

Old August 15th 03, 05:39 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Lightspeed Comes Through!

As many of you know, while at OSH 2003 I had one of those inadvertent
"once-in-a-lifetime" conversations with the president of Lightspeed
Aviation. The story goes as follows:

I've had three pair of LightSpeed headset -- two 15s and a 20XL -- that I
have purchased over the last four years. The first one was purchased at OSH
'99, the second at OSH '00, and the last one was purchased at OSH '01.

Since then, they have ALL been repaired multiple times. Headbands have
broken. Cords have repeatedly broken internally. The ANR has become
unbalanced. Ear cushions have delaminated and flaked off. You name it,
it's happened.

On each occasion, LightSpeed's customer service has been remarkable. Each
time the repairs have been made (or parts sent) for free, cheerfully and
quickly. However, over time, I grew weary of things breaking, and decided
that our fourth (and final) pair of ANRs would be some brand OTHER than
LightSpeed. I had simply reached a point where I no longer cared how good
their comfort (the best on the market) and customer service was -- I just
wanted a pair of headsets that I could count on.

So, this was my mind-set when I wandered up to the Pacific Coast Avionics
booth, in one of the big exhibit buildings at OSH '03 last month. I simply
found a guy -- totally at random -- behind the counter, and told him I
wanted to be shown their BEST ANR headphones, but not to bother with
LightSpeeds...

Upon hearing this, he stopped and asked me why I didn't believe in
LightSpeeds. So I told him my entire tale of woe, highlighting each and
every design flaw that I had "discovered", and bemoaning the fact that,
while I LOVED the things, they just simply broke too damned easily. After
hearing this diatribe he stopped again, thought a moment, and then stuck his
hand out to shake my hand. He then proceeded to introduce himself as the
president of LightSpeed, Inc., and thanked me profusely for telling him
everything I had just said!

Needless to say, I was highly embarrassed, having just thoroughly
eviscerating the poor guy's company. But he went on to say that Mary and I
were the kind of customers that he NEEDED to keep happy, since we had stuck
with them through "thick and thin" during their growing years, and he then
proceeded to give me his business card, with the advice to "give me a call
when we both get back to the world, and I'll send you a pair of 20 3Gs,
absolutely free, just so you can see how far we've come."

He then went on to freely admit ALL of the design problems they had
encountered, and showed me on the new model how they had been overcome. I
eventually left, incredulous but willing to give them another shot.

When I got home, I gave him a few days to recuperate, and then gave him a
call. To my surprise, he still had my business card in hand, and asked me
if that was the address I wanted the new headsets sent to! He then again
thanked me for my years of loyalty. Again amazed, I sat back and waited for
over a week...

Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20 3Gs.
As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary input
(for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets), a
holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus removing
the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!

In the box was a note from Allan, stating: "This headset is given freely
for your use and enjoyment. May the accumulated improvements we've made
provide you with years of trouble-free flying! :-) "

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat
THAT for customer service?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 03, 06:49 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20

3Gs.
As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary

input
(for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets),

holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus

removing
the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!

Sounds like it finally worked out good for you with LightSpeed. Glad to hear
that he followed through with his word. Keep us informed in the next few
months if you have any problems with them. He probably figures if he treats
you well, you'll tell others and he'll get more customers. He's right -- I
may check them out and buy a set at the next OSH..

Old August 15th 03, 01:49 PM
Justin Case

Fantastic Story. The Lord was looking after you that day. Let's see
if he keeps on looking after you in the future.

Old August 15th 03, 02:56 PM
Jay Honeck

Fantastic Story. The Lord was looking after you that day. Let's see
if he keeps on looking after you in the future.

Wow -- did anyone else find this statement just a bit chilling?

I don't think you meant it to sound *that* way, Justin, but...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 03, 02:58 PM
Jay Honeck

So Can I have your old set?

Our last pair of non-ANR headphones is a nearly bullet-proof pair of
FlightCom 5DX's.

They're heavy, they hurt, the sound quality is fair to middling -- but they
never, EVER break.

I think I better hang on to them as a spare, don't you?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 03, 03:49 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:MF5%a.150747$uu5.23133@sccrnsc04...
So Can I have your old set?

Our last pair of non-ANR headphones is a nearly bullet-proof pair of
FlightCom 5DX's.

They're heavy, they hurt, the sound quality is fair to middling -- but they
never, EVER break.

Gee, we never had our lightspeeds break, but Margy's FlightCom 5DLX's were
a nightmare. I repaired the things several times before I finally gave up (they
conveniently died on the way to Oshkosh so she bought the (then newly
released) Lightspeed 20K's). I finally decided my Dave Clark 10-80's I'd been
abusing for 15 years were never going to die and bought the 25 XLs.

Old August 15th 03, 03:53 PM
TripFarmer

Good follow up Jay. I e-mailed the company 3 days ago asking if the new
25XL2's had the design flaws fixed and have yet to get a reply. I told them
I'd heard that they had great service after the sale but what good was service
when the $400 headsets keep breaking and are in the mail all the time.

Again, no reply yet. Kind of tells me they won't but I'll keep waiting.

Trip

In article TtZ_a.148428$uu5.22910@sccrnsc04, says...

Old August 15th 03, 03:58 PM
Jay Honeck

They're heavy, they hurt, the sound quality is fair to middling -- but
they
never, EVER break.

Gee, we never had our lightspeeds break, but Margy's FlightCom 5DLX's were
a nightmare. I repaired the things several times before I finally gave

up (they
conveniently died on the way to Oshkosh so she bought the (then newly
released) Lightspeed 20K's). I finally decided my Dave Clark 10-80's I'd

been
abusing for 15 years were never going to die and bought the 25 XLs.

Funny how things work, isn't it? My kids can twist and yank and drop the
FlightComs without fear, but they KNOW they have to handle the LightSpeeds
with "kid gloves" or risk the wrath of Dad and a broken headset.

I think I could use the 5DXs as a wheel chock, without harm to them. Of
course, they're so uncomfortable, you practically *want* them to break!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 03, 05:47 PM
Dan Luke

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat
THAT for customer service?

You really have to hand it to LS for service - they do try harder.

Let us know how that cell phone hookup works.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM