My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Old November 19th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Raul,
Did you receive your Jeta yet?
As you mentioned, there is not much official news from the company.... At one point they announced that Kawa would compete at Ostrow in the GP-15, which was then quickly retracted. Do you know what was going on? Have there been made any changes to the Jeta as a result?
I’m quite enthusiastic about this glider, and I believe around 50 have been ordered. But it has been awfully quiet lately....

Marco
Old November 19th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marco,

The news that I have is that my glider, roughly SN 12-15ish, should be completed around late spring to early summer. Dave Nelson's might be in production right now, maybe. Tom Holloran is the by now not so new, USA representative; he is doing a great job and has been doing A LOT of work getting the FAA and Port Authorities, etc. ready. He and his wife are currently in Krakow, Poland visiting the factory, and he plans to make videos of his flights in the JETA and the VELO. I can't wait.

My wife and I were in Ostrow for the 2018 WGC; we went to do flight support for our friend and fellow club member Bif Huss and his wife Ceil. We wanted to touch the JETA and speak with Mr. Kawa. Like you said, the GP-15 was retracted from the contest. The reason makes huge sense; the glider had not finished its certification flight tests. The factory did not want to expose the prototype to the riggers of a world-class competition. Mr. Kawa had to switch back to his glider. He, too, did not want to compete in a glider that was not fully ready for prime time. As good a pilot as he is, he wants everything perfect. By the way, he is very particular.

Part of the delay in testing and production was due to changes that Mr. Kawa suggested; by the way, he is the factory's technical adviser. Those changes were 1) New design winglets, 2) Wing roots streamlined to the fuselage in the negative flap position, and 3) A change in the angle of incidence of the horizontal stabilizer. So when the top glider racer in the world wants something, he usually gets it. And, he wants speed.

Other recent changes include the steerable tail wheel and a cheaper way to charge the batteries while the glider is in its trailer.

Raul Boerner

Old November 19th 18, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 4:05:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Raul,
Did you receive your Jeta yet?
As you mentioned, there is not much official news from the company.... At one point they announced that Kawa would compete at Ostrow in the GP-15, which was then quickly retracted. Do you know what was going on? Have there been made any changes to the Jeta as a result?
I’m quite enthusiastic about this glider, and I believe around 50 have been ordered. But it has been awfully quiet lately....

Marco

Marco,

The news that I have is that my glider, roughly SN 12-15ish, should be completed around late spring to early summer. Dave Nelson's might be in production right now, maybe. Tom Holloran is the by now not so new, USA representative; he is doing a great job and has been doing A LOT of work getting the FAA and Port Authorities, etc. ready. He and his wife are currently in Krosno, Poland visiting the factory, and he plans to make videos of his flights in the JETA and the VELO. I can't wait.

Old November 19th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marco,

The news that I have is that my glider, roughly SN 12-15ish, should be completed around late spring to early summer. Dave Nelson's might be in production right now, maybe. Tom Holloran is the by now not so new, USA representative; he is doing a great job and has been doing A LOT of work getting the FAA and Port Authorities, etc. ready. He and his wife are currently in Krakow, Poland visiting the factory, and he plans to make videos of his flights in the JETA and the VELO. I can't wait.

My wife and I were in Ostrow for the 2018 WGC; we went to do flight support for our friend and fellow club member Bif Huss and his wife Ceil. We wanted to touch the JETA and speak with Mr. Kawa. Like you said, the GP-15 was retracted from the contest. The reason makes huge sense; the glider had not finished its certification flight tests. The factory did not want to expose the prototype to the rigors of a world-class competition. Mr. Kawa had to switch back to his glider. He, too, did not want to compete in a glider that was not fully ready for prime time. As good a pilot as he is, he wants everything perfect. By the way, he is very particular.

Old November 19th 18, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Raul,
Jerzy told me the reason for Sebastian Kawa not to compete with the GP15 prototype were problems with its wing surface (reducing the performance). Next wings will be better.
I was visiting the company last weekend and a friend did a testflight. He was very impressed - strong engine, nice to handle, very quietly while gliding. But he felt not so good while circling with high banking. There were a few other minor problems (radio antenna, error in the engine computer, difficult assembly of wings) - i am sure these points will be cleared soon.
My guess is the biggest problem for gp is finding and training a big number of good workers.
L.
Old November 19th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

How many gliders have GP produced so far?