Dangerous Stuff

Old July 12th 05, 09:14 AM
Tim

Is there a "proper" tape for protecting the leading edge ? Reason I ask, is
talking to some boy`s that work on WRC rally car`s a lot, They use a thick
transparent about 3inch wide tape to protect bit`s, They call it helicopter
tape and said that`s what it`s original design was for ?
Tim

Rocky
p.s. did you ever use the trick of SaranWrap on the leading edges and
you can just peel off a layer at the end of the day for a clean edge?
Have not tried it on rotor.

Old July 12th 05, 12:58 PM
B4RT

I've tried a bunch of stuff on my MR to keep salt from building up on it.
The only thing that seems to work is coating the leading edge with
Corrosion X HD, but you have to do it pretty frequently. My
Jet Ranger used to have a heavy teflon tape on the leading edge, but
Maintenance removed it for some reason that has yet to be explained
to me.

3M makes a leading edge abrasion tape (for planes). I think you can find
it at Aircraft Spruce. I have it on one of my airplanes and it works
nicely
at protecting but its a tad harder to clean than a painted surface and you
have to avoid using degreasers on it.

Bart

Old July 13th 05, 01:01 AM
Franklin Newton

Actually there is a "proper " tape and it's been used mostly for erosion
control by various militarys including or own, I can look up the P/N if
there's a need, don't know all the aircraft it has been on though.

Old July 13th 05, 03:16 PM

Frank
I'd like to see it. Will ask our shop if they use it on any of the ag
machines. The sandy soil here in spud country is really tough on
blades. I imagine not as bad as Iraq though!
Company has several WASP's and I took a look last week. Look nice and
sound like performers. My engine is due this winter if it lasts the
season.....
Another 12 hr in the cockpit yesterday and probably 8 today to get
caught up.
Cheers
Rocky

Old July 14th 05, 01:24 AM
Franklin Newton

OK, I'll dig up a MFG and P/N, maybe there's an approval for the 47 series,
if not you would have to get an approval for the mod, should be easy, just
tell the DER what you would like to do n why, cite your research (documented
uses) write a procedure for application of tape, balance, interchangeability
maybe continues maintenance and stand back, DER does the number crunching
and forwards it to the FAA.

oups.com...

Old July 14th 05, 02:35 PM

Well, old guys like me learn to pace ourselves. I don't crank it around
in the turns like I used to, I don't press it or take any chances that
make my heart go thump thump thump. I tell myself frequently to focus
on the job and try not to let my attention wander off to the the next
field, or maintenance things, or....? Its hard to do and takes
discipline. You are flying close enough to nearly everything you can
imagine and can't afford any mental lapses lest you hit something.
I get really fatigued after getting up at 0430, and frequently not to
bed until 2100 or later. I have to make myself eat at night to keep my
battery charged. But, thats why I make the money I do in such a short
time. I've covered over 6600 acres this month so far and that will;
easily double or perhaps even triple by end of month. We'll get maybe a
couple days off with weather or when we get caught up on the schedule.
Like I said earlier, its not a job for everyone.
Rocky

Old July 14th 05, 07:12 PM

Good friend of mine lives over in El Cajones and has pics and video of
me working up in the San Joaquin years ago. I'm sure he share them with
you...being pilots and all! Check his web - aerobaticBox.com and see
his friends page. got a pic I think of me flying an AgCat? Can't
recall.
Anyway, drop him an email for contacts.
Rocky

Old July 14th 05, 11:09 PM
Brett Sumpter

Be careful with the tape, if it starts coming off life can get
interesting - if you think dirty blades are bad, you haven't seen
anything yet. Just keep an eye on it & replace it before it starts
wearing through the leading edge.

I've used it on Bell 47's & Hiller 12's - can't tell you if it was
"approved", but it definitely saves wear & tear on the blade. You'll
want to have the exact same length on both blades in the exact same
location, or you'll be rebalancing...

Old July 15th 05, 08:57 PM

We went for sushi one evening there in El Cajones and he tried some.
Also introduced him to chivas regal and Drambuie. He and I have flown
together several times including time in a Stearman and a Hiller 12E.
It was his wedding that my wife and I went to over in MXL in May just
before I came up here to fly. He is a great guy and loves to fly
aerobatics.
Rocky

Old July 15th 05, 10:55 PM
Shiver

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

I prefer 18 year old Glenmorangie single malt and fish tacos

And people think I'm weird because every so often I like to
buy a quart (litre) of cream and drink it.

Scotch whiskey and fish tacos - Sorry Kevin but it makes
my stomach do flip flops just thinking about it.