A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Owning
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Piper PA-28 Arrow

Old September 19th 12, 08:25 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Sep 2012
Default Piper PA-28 Arrow

I am looking to purchase a piper arrow, most likely a late 60's to early 70's vintage. This will be the first airplane that I've owned. Are there any Arrow owners that can give me some pointers?
Old October 5th 12, 06:57 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwild1 View Post
I am looking to purchase a piper arrow, most likely a late 60's to early 70's vintage. This will be the first airplane that I've owned. Are there any Arrow owners that can give me some pointers?
No pointers, but I'm amazed anyone's contemplating buying a recip these days, with the price of avgas and literal future of avgas in the uncertain state it's in.
Old October 31st 12, 06:32 PM
Banned

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Oct 2012

Quote:
I've had a '72 P28R-200 for 7 years and put over 2,000 hours on it. I use it to commute for business and some family-pleasure trips. If you have specific questions I can answer them.

I was looking for the Arrow II because I wanted the stretched rear seat compared to the Arrow I and the extra 20 HP is nice. I did not want the extra complexity of the 6-cylinder engine in the Arrow III. I bought mine shortly after the previous owner paid for a new leather interior and an upgrade to a Garmin 430 navcom and a Garmin 330 transponder. Both good upgrades.

It's a simple airplane for a retractable, and the fail position of the gear is down, not up. I plan for 135 kts which is a 9 gph burn lean of peak. It runs lean of peak well with an 4-cylinder engine monitor. I fly mostly IFR, and over the years have had vacuum failures and alternator failures, but the engine has been terrific. I put in a Lycoming overhaul 5 years ago and have only done oil changes since.
Old November 7th 12, 06:34 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Nov 2012
Red face

Quote:
Bought a '72 Arrow II 10 yrs. ago and used it to obtain my (and my wife's) instrument rating. We then traveled the west coast extensively; it made for a good trip and a stable IFR platform. Had some issues related to the overhauled engine at first; essentially had to repeat the overhaul but that was due to the seller's choice of shops back east and not the aircraft.
It is economical (plan 10.5g/hr. 60 degrees rich of peak cruise), annuals about $2K if no AD's of note. Watch for AD's, I had my prop/hub replaced 10 hr. ago (6K+) and gear door strut work (3K) the past 2 years. Yes, like any older aircraft, you put $$ into it (most steam gauge instruments overhauled, new interior, headliner, plastic, etc.) but it makes for a safer, more comfortable aircraft.
It's time to sell mine, bought a turbo Comanche and can't justify or fly often enough, two aircraft. Let me know if you haven't found a mechanically good Arrow yet. In Central California.