Piper PA-28 Arrow

Old September 19th 12, 08:25 PM
bwild1 bwild1 is offline
Junior Member

Default Piper PA-28 Arrow

I am looking to purchase a piper arrow, most likely a late 60's to early 70's vintage. This will be the first airplane that I've owned. Are there any Arrow owners that can give me some pointers?
Old October 5th 12, 06:57 PM
Racklefratz Racklefratz is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwild1 View Post
I am looking to purchase a piper arrow, most likely a late 60's to early 70's vintage. This will be the first airplane that I've owned. Are there any Arrow owners that can give me some pointers?
No pointers, but I'm amazed anyone's contemplating buying a recip these days, with the price of avgas and literal future of avgas in the uncertain state it's in.
Old October 31st 12, 06:32 PM
BobS BobS is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwild1 View Post
I am looking to purchase a piper arrow, most likely a late 60's to early 70's vintage. This will be the first airplane that I've owned. Are there any Arrow owners that can give me some pointers?
I've had a '72 P28R-200 for 7 years and put over 2,000 hours on it. I use it to commute for business and some family-pleasure trips. If you have specific questions I can answer them.

I was looking for the Arrow II because I wanted the stretched rear seat compared to the Arrow I and the extra 20 HP is nice. I did not want the extra complexity of the 6-cylinder engine in the Arrow III. I bought mine shortly after the previous owner paid for a new leather interior and an upgrade to a Garmin 430 navcom and a Garmin 330 transponder. Both good upgrades.

It's a simple airplane for a retractable, and the fail position of the gear is down, not up. I plan for 135 kts which is a 9 gph burn lean of peak. It runs lean of peak well with an 4-cylinder engine monitor. I fly mostly IFR, and over the years have had vacuum failures and alternator failures, but the engine has been terrific. I put in a Lycoming overhaul 5 years ago and have only done oil changes since.
Old November 7th 12, 06:34 PM
farmdoc farmdoc is offline
Junior Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwild1 View Post
I am looking to purchase a piper arrow, most likely a late 60's to early 70's vintage. This will be the first airplane that I've owned. Are there any Arrow owners that can give me some pointers?
Bought a '72 Arrow II 10 yrs. ago and used it to obtain my (and my wife's) instrument rating. We then traveled the west coast extensively; it made for a good trip and a stable IFR platform. Had some issues related to the overhauled engine at first; essentially had to repeat the overhaul but that was due to the seller's choice of shops back east and not the aircraft.
It is economical (plan 10.5g/hr. 60 degrees rich of peak cruise), annuals about $2K if no AD's of note. Watch for AD's, I had my prop/hub replaced 10 hr. ago (6K+) and gear door strut work (3K) the past 2 years. Yes, like any older aircraft, you put $$ into it (most steam gauge instruments overhauled, new interior, headliner, plastic, etc.) but it makes for a safer, more comfortable aircraft.
It's time to sell mine, bought a turbo Comanche and can't justify or fly often enough, two aircraft. Let me know if you haven't found a mechanically good Arrow yet. In Central California.

Cessna Cardinal 177 RG II v. Piper Arrow III (70s) v. Piper Arrow III (brand new) [email protected] Piloting 90 September 23rd 06 12:48 AM
Piper Arrow Add-on for FS2004? [email protected] Simulators 1 June 30th 05 01:27 AM
Piper Arrow vs Cessna 182 [email protected] Owning 28 June 27th 05 03:26 PM
Piper Arrow IV fuel pressure MC Owning 8 October 7th 04 12:23 AM
Prop spinner for Piper Arrow dutch Aviation Marketplace 0 January 18th 04 03:02 AM