KX170B replacement options

Old February 5th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default KX170B replacement options

I have an odd ball digital replacement 170B that is no longer
servicable. Since I already have the 155 and and moving map GPS, I need
a basic, inexpensive, nav/com hole filller for it as #3 radio. I really
like having it there. What type of used equipment is out there that is
a slide-in 170B replacement. Are there any of those digital MX170Bs
still around ? Anyone recommend a seller of inexpensive, used TSO
radios?
-Robert

Old February 5th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Check out the KX125. It has a built-in CDI and can be found both new
and reconditioned. I have one and like it a lot as #2, though there
are always cheaper options.

Old February 5th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The problem for me is that if the radio is not a slide-in replacement
for the KX-170B it will cost be a minimum of $2000 to retray the stack
(because its a Mooney). In some cases its not even possible because
there are structure members behind the radios.

-Robert

Old February 6th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Someone pointed me to some KX-170B's and MAC1700's listed on eBay. My
existing MX-170B (TKM) also has a glideslope which I occasionally
remember to tune in as a backup to my real glideslope. If I buy a used
170B or MAC1700 how will that effect the backup GS? Is the GS
functionality built into the head, or the radio itself??

Thanks!

-Robert

Old February 6th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone pointed me to some KX-170B's and MAC1700's listed on eBay. My
existing MX-170B (TKM) also has a glideslope which I occasionally
remember to tune in as a backup to my real glideslope. If I buy a used
170B or MAC1700 how will that effect the backup GS? Is the GS
functionality built into the head, or the radio itself??

Thanks!

-Robert

The MX170B will channel an external GS rcvr but there is no GS rcvr built
into the MX-170B. Same with the KX170B, MAC1700, etc...

Mike

Old February 6th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

So, if I'm currently working with an MX-170B and a working glideslope,
does that mean that when I put the MX-170B in the trash and put a
MAC1700 in (or KX-170B) the glideslope will still work??

-Robert

Old February 6th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Old February 6th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Do you think there is any value in the MX-170? The display seems very
effected by moisture. For the last couple of years it would be dark
during run up and would slowly come back after the moisture was driven
out of the cabin. Today, it went to 100.00 on all 4 freqs in
mid-flight. The company that makes it (TKM) refuses to fix it because
they want me to buy their new model and they don't offer the manuals so
no shop can legally work on it. Its too bad too. I had the exact same
problem with my KX-155, the shop simply replaced the display for a very
reasonable amount of money. In my opinion, TKM are just being butts
about this.

-Robert

Old February 6th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you think there is any value in the MX-170? The display seems very
effected by moisture. For the last couple of years it would be dark
during run up and would slowly come back after the moisture was driven
out of the cabin. Today, it went to 100.00 on all 4 freqs in
mid-flight. The company that makes it (TKM) refuses to fix it because
they want me to buy their new model and they don't offer the manuals so
no shop can legally work on it. Its too bad too. I had the exact same
problem with my KX-155, the shop simply replaced the display for a very
reasonable amount of money. In my opinion, TKM are just being butts
about this.

Well, it might be worth something to me. I do avionics repair work and I
might be able to fix it or use it for parts. I'll send you an email.

Mike

Old February 6th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Why not just get a real KX-170B? They are plentiful, work great
and are cheap, relative to other options. It should just slide into your
existing tray.

Ronnie

oups.com...

kx170b Ernesto Sanchez Home Built 0 July 1st 05 05:43 AM
Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 06:33 PM
Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement Carter Soaring 7 July 7th 04 02:06 PM
New Army Aviation Options? Thomas Schoene Military Aviation 22 February 29th 04 10:51 PM
TKM MX-11 Com true slide replacement ? Rohit Fedane Owning 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM