What to ask when looking for a plane...

Old February 7th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What to ask when looking for a plane...

Hello,

As some of you may have concluded with my other posts, we're looking at
a getting into a Twin Comanche and I'm curious about what questions to
ask after seeing a listing online and prior to getting to the "pre-buy"
inspection stage.

Currently i'm asking:

1. if all ADs/SBs are complied with and up to date
2. damage history
3. if all avionics work 100%
4. when the fuel bladders were replaced last
5. if all FAA337 forms for all mods are with the aircraft

Are there any specific questions I shuold be asking for this type of
airplane (or other questions i'm missing)?

Learning a lot!

Thanks,

Dico

Old February 7th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

6. Any corrosion?
7. Complete logs?
8. Ownership status (any liens)

Old February 7th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

That question is very, very, very specific to the airplane. Certainly
are you asking different questions when buying an Aeronca vs buying a
Mooney (the planes I've bought). I would look for some sort of a group
specific to your aircraft for a list of questions.

-Robert

Old February 8th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Get the answer in writing. A thorough annual often finds ADs NOT
complied with even though supposed to be. A recent teardown of my
engine revealed the wrong size valves used at the last overhaul.

Set at least 10% of the purchase price aside to cover surprises.

Best approach is a complete review of the logbooks from day 1, but that
means you need to go look after you get serious.

The Twin Comanche has a tricky fuel system - lost an acquaintance a
number of years ago trying to switch tanks while flying an instrument
approach.

Old February 8th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Twin Commanche on my field is supposedly for sale... It has had
outstanding maintenance...
KHYX... Saginaw Michigan Al Kauffman manager 989-295-0675
You might call during business hours and ask for details...

denny

Old February 8th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Denny wrote:
Twin Commanche on my field is supposedly for sale... It has had
outstanding maintenance...
KHYX... Saginaw Michigan Al Kauffman manager 989-295-0675
You might call during business hours and ask for details...

denny

Thanks. I gave him a call!

Old February 8th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
Hello,

As some of you may have concluded with my other posts, we're looking at
a getting into a Twin Comanche and I'm curious about what questions to
ask after seeing a listing online and prior to getting to the "pre-buy"
inspection stage.

Currently i'm asking:

1. if all ADs/SBs are complied with and up to date
2. damage history
3. if all avionics work 100%
4. when the fuel bladders were replaced last
5. if all FAA337 forms for all mods are with the aircraft

Are there any specific questions I shuold be asking for this type of
airplane (or other questions i'm missing)?

Learning a lot!

Thanks,

Dico

Get the report on the plane from AOPA Title Services. Compare any
accident/incident reports or any 337s with the log books. Make sure
there's no old liens, and a clean chain of ownership with properly
signed BOS's. Buy title insurance.
Old February 9th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I would be importing the plane to Canada... how does title insurance
work in that situation? Or does it?

-dr

Old February 9th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 8 Feb 2006 16:23:47 -0800, "Dico" wrote:

I haven't seen the whole thread, so forgive me if this doesn't relate,
but....

I can only speak to importing an aircraft from Canada to the
US. Maybe the info may still be useful....?

In the US, you pay your $53 (or whatever it is) to AOPA for the title
search, and that's the end of that (the title search spans nation wide
in the US).

When I imported my aircraft from Canada back into the US, I learned
(the hard way) that in Canada, I would have to conduct a title search
in each province that I believed the aircraft was based / operated in.

I did so in the (3) provinces the Transport Canada records showed
the aircraft had been registered in. The cost wasn't that big of a
deal... (maybe double, or a little more than what AOPA charges)
but doing business individually with each Canadian province seemed
a bit odd....

You may want to check with AOPA but I believe they will gladly take
your $53 bucks (or whatever it is these days) and conduct a
nation-wide US title search no matter where you are from.

Bela P. Havasreti