A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Buying a Glider

Old May 3rd 19, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

Stupid question of the day:

Is https://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds the main place to look for gliders for sale?

I am new to gliders.

--robert
Old May 3rd 19, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

On 5/3/19 12:25 PM, ripacheco1967 wrote:

Is https://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds the main place to look for gliders for sale?

I am new to gliders.

--robert

In the U.S., yes that's many used ones are listed. Soaring Magazine
from the SSA also has classifieds. W&W is also the HpH dealer.

I can get you a hot deal on a Taurus.
Old May 3rd 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

K..... your not right.
Old May 4th 19, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

If you can deal with the problems of importing from Europe, you might take a look at segelfluge.de in their classified section.

Old May 4th 19, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

If you can deal with importing from Europe, take a look at segelflug.de in their classified section.
Old May 4th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

Try segelflug.de classified section.
Old May 4th 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 12:25:37 PM UTC-6, ripacheco1967 wrote:

I am new to gliders.

--robert

Robert,

W&W is fine. Depending on what you're looking for you might also check barnstormers.com and browse the ads under the Glider& Sailplane. The odd item shows up there and a club member bought a 1-26E that was only listed there..

glidersource.com also lists gliders and other items.

Overseas you might also check gliderpilot.net classified adverts and
segelflug.de (switch to English) and filter the classifieds by category.

You mentioned three clubs. Each probably deserves a visit to check out their fleets and private gliders. When it comes to finally making a buying decision, fit and comfort is a consideration, especially as we age. Some are wider at the hip, others at the shoulders, several are taller with long legs, others long torsos. All are factors when finally deciding. You may get an opportunity to slip on a parachute and try on a glass slipper. You should also watch and learn about rigging and derigging.

The soaring season's a bit different around there, but if you want to see some racing action, there are 25 pilots registered for the 15m Nationals at Bermuda High Soaring in Lancaster, SC. http://bermudahighsoaring.com/15-m-n...pionships.html

The contest runs from 5/6-5/15. There's also a contest at Cordele, GA, from 6/1-6/8, with at least 48 pilots flying three classes of glider flying Region 5 South. www.flycordele.com

Contests are an opportunity was watch, learn, and listen. Pilots are engaged, so not as relaxed or open as on a club day.

BTW, welcome to the SSA.

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MDT.

Old May 4th 19, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

Why are some of the gliders listed there say ASW27 marked as “experimental” I thought mainstream factory gliders like the ASW27 were all certified? I am missing something?
Old May 5th 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

Not true, mine is standard ser no 27031 early 27.
Old May 5th 19, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default Buying a Glider

It seems, and I am certainly not an expert, that a particular glider being experimental or standard has to do more with the first owner's "preference" when first imported. Or maybe how the local FSDO handles things (or how much they know/care about gliders).

I once owned a DG-101G which was standard. A sister ship on my gliderport a few serial numbers away was experimental. I looked up all the DG-100/101's on the FAA web site and there was zero rhyme or reason on whether they were standard or experimental.

Within the glider community, unlike GA it would seem, there appears to be no prejudice for or against standard versus experimental. Very, very, very few gliders were hand-build by individuals which to many in the non-glider aviation realm is the definition of "experimental".

I will leave it to others to explain their feelings on the pros/cons of standard versus experimental.

John OHM Ω