What is your headset experience and solution?

Old May 11th 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

Default What is your headset experience and solution?

I'm having a lot of trouble hearing that 50% portion of radio calls that have marginal modulation, wind noise, mumbling speakers, etc. The other 50% come through load and clear. Tired of needing to close my side vent, crank the volume, and ask for a repeat. I doubt a campaign to get everyone's xmit's up to 5 x 5 would go anywhere. Besides, they seem to be heard acceptably and communicate effectively with other pilots - so, it must be my old ears.
My speaker is ~15in behind my head and unobstructed so I don't think that is the issue. I'm thinking a headset would fix things for me and I'd really like to hear advice from those using them. I’m certain I can’t deal with heavy/sweaty over-the-ear earcups with head vise clamping . Flying out of Tucson so comfort in the heat is important. So, maybe the Telex Airman 750 or Clarity Aloft types? Others?
Since I’d like to maintain the existing speaker box and boom mic for backup, I’m thinking about a DPDT steering switch before my FSG 2T (the radio has 2 mic inputs to deal with the dynamic vs amplified difference). Other considerations?
I was also thinking really cheap and simple: generic music ear buds while continuing to use the existing boom mic.

Thanks, JJ (H8)
Old May 11th 21, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 5/11/2021 12:21 PM, John Johnson wrote:
[...]

"Communications" headsets with output to only one ear is, the way my
hearing works, not effective. A two-ear solution works very well, much
more intelligible than a speaker. Doesn't have to be fancy. Generic
earbuds (if you can stand those) or over-the-ear headphones (my
preference - lightweight, not the big cup kind) work fine. When I used
headphones in my previous glider, I used a model that has curves over
the ears and continues behind the head onto the top of the neck, rather
than over the top of the head. That was more comfortable, stable in
place, and wasn't in danger of banging against the canopy.

Connect them in parallel to (or in place of) the existing speaker. The
speakers are usually around 4 to 8 ohms, simple earbuds or headsets
around 30 ohms, so it should be OK to add that small additional load
onto the radio's output. You can add a 3.5mm headphone jack onto the
speaker's box if you want to easily connect and disconnect. Wire the
two sides of the headphones together to the mono speaker line. If you
want you can also wire that jack so as to disconnect the speaker when
the headphones are plugged in. Like a transistor radio in the 70's. If
you're not handy with that wiring/soldering aspect, ask a friend who is,
it's an easy project.

And yeah if you already have a boom mic and PTT on the stick why disturb
that arrangement?

Old May 12th 21, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 5/11/2021 5:20 PM, jfitch wrote:
I use the Bose noise cancelling ear buds.

Which motor-glider are you using these in?
Thanks!

Old May 12th 21, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

Thanks jfitch, This sounds like a good setup. I noticed all the Plantronics stuff is now 'Poly' branded and the wired stuff is all USB connected these days. I'm going to start cheap with passive earbuds and use my existing boom mic. I like the idea of keeping the speaker active as backup. Leaving my earbuds behind or yanking the wire out is a real possibility but it becomes bearable with the speaker still squawking.

thx, JJ

Old May 12th 21, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 5/11/2021 7:55 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On 5/11/2021 5:20 PM, jfitch wrote:
I use the Bose noise cancelling ear buds.

Which motor-glider are you using these in?
Thanks!

Also, are these the Bose Aviation Headset,
or the Bose QuietComfort 20 consumer earbuds?

Old May 12th 21, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Using the Bose in my ASH26Mi. Probably 105 db in the cockpit, not real quiet. I tried various ear muffs, ear plugs, and the Plantronics T50 in one ear and a plug in the other. The Bose are the consumer QC 20 - the aviation headset is quite expensive, no room in the cockpit for it, uncomfortable after a couple of hours. The QC 20 have many advantages for this use: wired with a 1/8 jack, built in battery but if the battery dies (lasts about 10 hours) it falls over to inactive earbuds and you still hear everything. I 3D printed a little mount for the small control box/battery thingy (contact me for the file if you want it). It is one more thing to remember to charge, put in the glider, and turn on (I mounted it so I can turn it on while seated, but again if it is off you still hear). These also have a unique ear seal unlike the foam or rubber ones on many ear buds, does not actually extend into your ear. I find them very comfortable to 6 hours, I could not say that about the clarity aloft or a few other solutions I tried. Buy them from Bose and you can try for 30 days and send them back.

These have been tested by audio experts and the noise reduction is quite good in some ranges, 35 db or more, and tested better than the aviation headset for some frequencies. Make the Wankel sound kinda like a lawnmower 30' away - not silent for sure but a good reduction. They are better at higher frequencies like wind and vent noise.

When I put the jack in, I did a little resistor divider attenuator to get the volume somewhat in line with the speaker, so that if they fall out or whatever the volume does not need to be immediately attended to.

The Plantronics is actually the MS50/T30 (bad memory):

https://pl.factoryoutletstore.com/de...gitemid=487616

Make sure you get the one that matches your radio mike impedance, they used to be switchable but not anymore. It has both plugs, I just leave the earpiece one unplugged. The lip mike works very well (yep! one more thing to put on...) and I greatly prefer it to the boom mike (which I also keep mounted but out of the way for backup, or comms while pushing the glider etc.). I guess some people don't like them. I climb in the cockpit, put on the cannula first, then the sunglasses, then the Bose, then the Plantronics. You have to play with the cords and their keepers for a bit but you can get it so they don't bother you the rest of the flight.

Old May 12th 21, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:21:33 PM UTC-4, John Johnson wrote:
[...]

This is what I use, http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ind...ormation_id=12
I use a headset because I self launch, but I never take it off. During silent flight I just remove one earbud to hear everything else. The sound is very, very good. I have been using mine for I think 7 years now without any issues.
Old May 12th 21, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 9:03:31 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
[...]

Hi JJ,

Just dont sneeze while taking a drink in this config : )