FAA Exemption Letter (USA)

Old January 22nd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob 7U

Default FAA Exemption Letter (USA)

I haven't heard anything in a few years about the requirement to carry
an FAA Exemption letter in the cockpit. Is it still a requirement or
has common sense prevailed?
The latest info I could find on the SSA web site only extends the
exemption until October 2008.

Thanks,

Bob 7U
Old January 22nd 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 21, 7:34*pm, Bob 7U wrote:
I haven't heard anything in a few years about the requirement to carry
an FAA Exemption letter in the cockpit. Is it still a requirement or
has common sense prevailed?
The latest info I could find on the SSA web site only extends the
exemption until October 2008.

Thanks,

Bob 7U

Exemption from what?
Old January 22nd 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

go he http://aes.faa.gov/

Search for Exemption/Docket "4988"

and you will find 4988H with an expiration date of 10/30/2011 (next
year)

and if you read it, yes, you are still required to carry it in your
glider, along with the original 4988 document.

You can click on the document grid then click download on the left to
get your own personal copy, suitable for framing.
Old January 22nd 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

For USA Gliders.

The SSA has it covered. Just some of the good behind the scenes work
they accomplish for us.

The Identification Plate Exemption # 4988 and the Extension Letter
(now valid to OCT 30, 2011), are on the SSA website at

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Data...ion%202008.pdf

Yes, you must carry both documents in the glider if you do not want to
secure an external identification plate to your glider.

The exemption letter is reissued by the FAA every 3 years, at the
discretion of the FAA, after the SSA submits a petition.
I believe Judy Ruprecht is submitting this recurring petition for us.

Burt
Marfa, west Texas
USA
Old January 22nd 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Just print all the pages on one sheet, it's legal and doesn't even
weigh as much as the airframe.
Jim
Old January 22nd 10, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

In article Burt Compton - Marfa writes:

The SSA has it covered. Just some of the good behind the scenes work
they accomplish for us.

The Identification Plate Exemption # 4988 and the Extension Letter
(now valid to OCT 30, 2011), are on the SSA website at

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Data...ion%202008.pdf

Yes, you must carry both documents in the glider if you do not want to
secure an external identification plate to your glider.

The exemption letter is reissued by the FAA every 3 years, at the
discretion of the FAA, after the SSA submits a petition.
I believe Judy Ruprecht is submitting this recurring petition for us.

To clarify a bit, there are two documents that one must carry for this.

1) The original exemption letter, which is 4 pages long. It can be
downloaded from:
http://www.ssa.org/docs/Exemption4988.pdf

2) Since the original exemption from that letter terminates on Oct 30, 1990,
you also need the extension letter, which is 2 pages long. It is at:
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Data...ion%202008.pdf

Caution, one of the older pages on the SSA site lists these pages of the 2002
update letter, which is now useless. (http://www.ssa.org/docs/080120001.pdf
and http://www.ssa.org/docs/080120002.pdf) You should use the current ones
mentioned above.

As another poster mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any restriction against
2 sided printing, or scaling the pages smaller and putting several on a page.
It probably should be kept readable, but one sheet can be tucked securely away
somewhere.

I keep my own copy in the bag with my logbooks and charts as well. It might
reduce embarassment some day. (There is also a spare yaw string in there.)

Alan
Old January 22nd 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I think it's worth noting that Part 45 only applies to aircraft built
under a type certificate.

Tony
Old January 22nd 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Does anyone have a comprehensive checklist for required docs and other
"ramp check" items? Preferably one that's been tested?

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old January 22nd 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 22, 6:45*am, Tony wrote:

I think it's worth noting that Part 45 only applies to aircraft built
under a type certificate.

I don't think that's correct. Here's what § 45.1(a) says:

§ 45.1 Applicability.
This part prescribes the requirements for—

(a) Identification of aircraft, and identification of aircraft engines
and propellers that are manufactured under the terms of a type
or production certificate...

The way I read that § 45.1(a), the first "and" means that part § 45
prescribes the requirements for both the identification of aircraft
_and_ the identification of certificated engines and propellers. Note
that the way that sentence is constructed, the qualifier "manufactured
under the terms of a type or production certificate" does not
necessarily apply to "aircraft," so it could be construed as "all
aircraft."

I admit that paragraph (a) might be a bit ambiguous, and I think that
it would be better if it was broken out into two paragraphs, something
like:

(a) Identification of aircraft.

(b) Identification of aircraft engines and propellers yadda yadda...

However, I'm personally convinced that § 45.1(a) means that all of
Part 45 applies to experimental as well as certificated aircraft. That
seems to be the consensus in the RV-series homebuilt aircraft
community, I think that pretty much all of them carry external
dataplates.

Thanks, Bob K.
www.hpaircraft.com
Old January 22nd 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

On Jan 22, 8:45*am, Tony wrote:
I think it's worth noting that Part 45 only applies to aircraft built
under a type certificate.

Tony

But often your FAA Inspectors ramp checkin' you don't know that.
Probably better to produce the the data plate exemption letter and
move them along.

S/He also expects the manufacturer's Flight Manual in your glider, but
it is not required by the reg (in gliders).
I keep a copy in there anyway -- just to move them along -- and gosh
it IS useful information!

They will ask for your gov't issued photo ID, pilot certificate and
medical. Keep these within reach -- that's the rule.
Yes, medical -- I've met some FAA Inspectors (just a few) that believe
a medical is required to be PIC in a glider.

What they may look for in a glider -- especially if not familiar with
gliders -- is simply your AROW paperwork, the compass correction card,
all placards or labels in place and readable, the TSO tags on your
seatbelts, and the data plate or the SSA/FAA exemption.

If they've seen you assembling the glider they may want to know where
the endorsement from a A&P mechanic is in your glider log. But
gliders (and balloons) are exempted on the basis that rigging is a FAA
required item in training for the pilot certificate or rating in
category glider.

If you have a parachute inside the glider they may ask to see the
rigger's repack card (now 180 days).

Goofy lookin' PDA mounts, oxygen tanks tied with old rubber bands and
sloppy battery wiring may get their attention while strolling around
the ramp.
Canopy covers are a good thing.

If you have an Experimental glider they may be asking to see your FSDO
paperwork. Best keep that up to date if needed as this is a hot point
with FAA lately.

Don't argue that you don't need certain doc's unless you have all the
reg's at your fingertips -- just cooperate to a certain extent, keep
your paperwork current and move them along to the twin engine airplane
over yonder on the ramp. Go into the FSDO on a rainy day and
educate them then on gliders, not on a good soaring day.

99.4 % of the FAA Inspectors are good guys -- really. I've worked
with many and never had a problem -- maybe 'cause I'm familiar with
the reg's and over-prepared.

Oh, and if the Homeland Security / TSA guys come along and you are a
Flight Instructor (glider only) you might want to have that TSA glider
training exemption letter handy as well. Otherwise be prepared to
prove you have taken your "Training Provider" Annual Recurrent
Security Training Course, but that's for another thread.

Kinda makes your head spin, don't it?

Burt
Marfa, far west Texas USA
www.flygliders.com

For USA: Data Plate Exemption? rlovinggood Soaring 7 January 29th 08 03:39 PM
California Tax exemption - gone after Oct 1st Limus A. Soaring 1 August 6th 04 04:46 PM
Cal Tax Exemption Gary L Home Built 5 January 27th 04 01:38 PM
Cal Tax Exemption Gary L Owning 0 January 25th 04 08:14 PM
Data Plate Exemption Letter Steve Bralla Soaring 8 October 13th 03 02:22 AM