C172 Penn Yan 180 HP Engine Conversion

Old October 19th 03, 03:00 AM
John Roncallo

Default C172 Penn Yan 180 HP Engine Conversion

Hello

Does anyone have any experiance with the Pann Yan 180 HP engine conversion.

I have a couple of questions?

1) How many hours did it really take to install it.
2) What is an expected increase in aircraft value?
3) How do you like it?
4) Does it really go 151 MPH

Thank You
J. Roncallo

Old October 19th 03, 03:22 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
John Roncallo wrote:

Does anyone have any experiance with the Pann Yan 180 HP engine conversion.

I've flown a couple different non-XP/SP 172s with 180hp engine upgrades.
I don't know if they were done by Penn Yan.

3) How do you like it?

You can really tell the difference, especially in takeoff and climb.
Takes a very long time to level off, since the fixed pitch prop keeps
accelerating (and producing more power) as you accelerate. When I
finally realized what was going on it was a great demonstration of the
usefulness of a constant speed prop.

4) Does it really go 151 MPH

The ones I've flown don't. Maybe closer to 140-145mph, but I've never
done any real tests.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 19th 03, 03:33 AM
G.R. Patterson III

John Roncallo wrote:

Does anyone have any experiance with the Pann Yan 180 HP engine conversion.

Don't own one, but Kupper had one as a rental for a while. Nice improvement in
useful load and climb rate.

4) Does it really go 151 MPH

That one would cruise at about 125 knots. That would be 143 mph. I suppose you
*might* be able to hit 151 under the right circumstances.

George Patterson
To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too much
could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.

Old October 19th 03, 07:57 AM
Martin Kosina

John Roncallo wrote in message .com...
Hello

Does anyone have any experiance with the Pann Yan 180 HP engine conversion.

I have a couple of questions?

1) How many hours did it really take to install it.
2) What is an expected increase in aircraft value?
3) How do you like it?
4) Does it really go 151 MPH

Thank You
J. Roncallo

Hi, I used to rent an Avcon-converted 172 (fixed pitch), and it was a
very strong climber. Cruise speed was around 122KTAS. As far as resale
value, converting an existing one is no doubt uneconomical (i.e. you
will not recover it in resale), but if you have a plane that you
otherwise like, you will probably not be disappointed.

All else being equal, I would probably go for the CS prop version,
better initial acceleration and variable pitch props are soooo nice to
fly with, no endless fiddling with the throttle in turbulence, lower
noise levels, etc. The ongoing maintenance is not really much more,
but the initial cost probably would be, so that may not be worth it.
Trading up to something like a 177B or an older Skylane would probably
make more sense if you want a CS prop.

Martin
Old October 20th 03, 06:42 PM
Ross Richardson

I have read the other responsed to date. I have the Avcon (Bush, Doyn)
conversion with the C/S prop. Wonderful combination. You really see
performance in climb. Grater than 1000 fpm.

Cruise can be up to 140 MPH IAS at 25/2500, but burning some gas

I generally fly at 22/2300 and burn around 9 gph and indicate 107 kts.
Sorry for changing the values here on you.

The older model Skyhawks do not get a GW increase.

The other folks offering conversions are Airplains in Kansas. I cannot
recommend the current owners of the Bush conversion that I have. (I also
have the MASA STOL conversion)

It can add value, but you will have to keep the plane for awhile.

Good luck