Auto Engine Conversion Video

Old April 26th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default Auto Engine Conversion Video

The first edition of my video is up on the net. There is one glitch
that I can't seem to figure out. At 14.40 into it the video locks up.
For some reason the progress arrow that moves under the pic outruns
the fed data. I have been able to view the second half of the video by
simply taking the cursor and sliding that arrow back in time about a
minute or so. Then when it resumes it runs past the 14.40 mark and
plays to the end. Don't ask whats wrong cause I am amazed I even got
it posted. Thanks again to Jim in NC and Darrel who both made this
upload possible. Hopefully it plays ok for you...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50730841&hl=en
Old April 26th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

stol wrote:
The first edition of my video is up on the net. There is one glitch
that I can't seem to figure out. At 14.40 into it the video locks up.
For some reason the progress arrow that moves under the pic outruns
the fed data. I have been able to view the second half of the video by
simply taking the cursor and sliding that arrow back in time about a
minute or so. Then when it resumes it runs past the 14.40 mark and
plays to the end. Don't ask whats wrong cause I am amazed I even got
it posted. Thanks again to Jim in NC and Darrel who both made this
upload possible. Hopefully it plays ok for you...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50730841&hl=en

That was a very informative and very viewable video.
And a down right georgous airplane and engine installation.

I hung up for a moment at the distributor gear - probably right where
you said. But sliding the arrow past that, it picked up and played all
the way to the end.

I've also downloaded the mpeg4 version. THink I'll load it on my iPod
and show it to friends (I have an Apple RGB cable to hook up to TVs)

Thaks for sharing, and thanks to the hired help for getting it posted.

Ya'll done REAL good, troops!

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Old April 26th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Webb

Ben

Is that yours, or a customer's?

Whatever it is, I wish I could afford to do it that way!

Old April 26th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

"stol" wrote in message

The first edition of my video is up on the net. There is one glitch
that I can't seem to figure out. At 14.40 into it the video locks up.
For some reason the progress arrow that moves under the pic outruns
the fed data. I have been able to view the second half of the video by
simply taking the cursor and sliding that arrow back in time about a
minute or so. Then when it resumes it runs past the 14.40 mark and
plays to the end. Don't ask whats wrong cause I am amazed I even got
it posted. Thanks again to Jim in NC and Darrel who both made this
upload possible. *Hopefully it plays ok for you...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0730841&hl=en- Hide quoted text -

That is my toy.. I would never use a customer for research and
development. I do have a whole new respect for test pilots too. !!!!
Old April 26th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"stol" wrote in message
The first edition of my video is up on the net. There is one glitch
that I can't seem to figure out. At 14.40 into it the video locks up.
For some reason the progress arrow that moves under the pic outruns
the fed data. I have been able to view the second half of the video by
simply taking the cursor and sliding that arrow back in time about a
minute or so. Then when it resumes it runs past the 14.40 mark and
plays to the end. Don't ask whats wrong cause I am amazed I even got
it posted. Thanks again to Jim in NC and Darrel who both made this
upload possible. Hopefully it plays ok for you...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50730841&hl=en

First, that was a great and informative presentation that included some new
information that should help keep me from having to accomplish some of the
same experiments.

I had no trouble with the playback. After reading the previous comments, I
started the download, paused the playback, finished some other tasks, and
took an undeserved break untill the download completed--so the playback
worked without incident.

Peter

Old April 27th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Apr 26, 4:14*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"stol" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks guys.... I should redo the narration to include some what I
consider valueable info on the cooling system. I will wait a few days
and see if any other questions come in. At that time I will post a
detailed explaination of all questions. I was going flying this
afternoon but ridgetop winds are in excess of 70 mph. The toy is
fueled up and will scare me in the morning... Thank god for
experimental planes and living in a country where one can push the
envelope.. !!!!! To hear the beast doing a low pass try this... the
video sucks but,,, boy does it sound KOOL !!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AOF6eT6FRmY
Old April 27th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Darrel Toepfer

stol wrote:

To hear the beast doing a low pass try this...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AOF6eT6FRmY

Only thing missing is video/sound of it at idle...

Old May 1st 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"stol" wrote in message
The first edition of my video is up on the net. There is one glitch
that I can't seem to figure out. At 14.40 into it the video locks up.
For some reason the progress arrow that moves under the pic outruns
the fed data. I have been able to view the second half of the video by
simply taking the cursor and sliding that arrow back in time about a
minute or so. Then when it resumes it runs past the 14.40 mark and
plays to the end. Don't ask whats wrong cause I am amazed I even got
it posted. Thanks again to Jim in NC and Darrel who both made this
upload possible. Hopefully it plays ok for you...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50730841&hl=en

I've thought of a few questions, that your video (otherwise very thorough and
well done, I thought) didn't answer.

I would like to have seen a bit of statistics, or specifications, such as engine
weight without the accessories, and the full up weight with the redrive,
accessories, and plumbing. Also, some possible charts on climb vs. rpm and fuel
consumption, and cruise speeds vs. rpm and fuel consumption.

What did you have to do, if anything, to get the CG right, on what I would
assume is a heavier engine than is usually used on this aircraft.

Many auto engine conversions use a smaller than normal accessory drive pulley on
the crankshaft, as to not overspeed the alternator, and water pump, and such, or
else use oversized pulleys on the alternator, at a minimum. Did you do anything
like that? I would guess that you probably did not, since your stated cruise
RPM is not all that higher than an auto on the highway.

Do you have a split electrical system, to make electrical failure less of a
possible engine stopping event, and do other backups exist to keep the sparks
sparking, and fuel flowing?

Interesting observations on the need for a beefed up redrive front mounting
plate. I would never have guessed that would be a problem. Is the lower pulley
mounted on two bearings, or just the outer bearing and the crankshaft bearings?
What type of mating is made with the crankshaft? Splines? Any problems with
getting the alignment right, and any problems with any slop with the interface?
Any harmonics issues? I did notice the use of your fluid harmonic balancer.
How does the belt tension function? How often does it need to have the tension
checked and/or adjusted? I have noted that some redrive manufacturers advertise
a single bolt tensioning feature.

On an annual inspection, (or more frequent inspections, if applicable) what
points in particular are you disassembling to inspect, and what things do you
make a point to inspect visually, or otherwise pay close attention to checking?

If you had to advise someone who was undertaking their own conversion, what top
5 (or 10) points would you tell them will be the most critical things to get
right, or will be the hardest to get right?

What things surprised you (I know you hit a few of these things in the video) as
things that you did not think would be difficult, but proved to be hard to get
right?

I know this is a pretty huge list of questions, and if you don't feel like
answering them all, or that some of them don't really apply, so be it; I would
understand. You obviously have already spent a lot of time on doing a good
video, and these questions might well take more time than you want to invest. I
will say that I appreciate the time you have already invested.

You know, by the time you got done with all of this, you could probably do just
a little more, and organize what you have done in the video and your other
documentations, into writing a book! This could be the start of something big!

Again, a hearty "well done!"
--
Jim in NC

Old May 1st 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Apr 30, 10:26*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"stol" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Jim. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. My gut feeling
is that I should re edit the video and leave some more space in some
of the shots to answer those and more questions. I would guess I could
let the last scene run and do it then. I can tell you all that this
video stuff is alot harder then it looks on TV.. ;~)..