Was The Grumman "Bearcat" Flown Off Carriers?

Old January 20th 04, 05:24 AM
Kates Saloon and Knife Emporium

Default Was The Grumman "Bearcat" Flown Off Carriers?

Was the Grumman "Bearcat" ever flown off of aircraft carriers? Was it even
flown by the Navy? I am trying to settle a dispute between my husband and my
brother.

Thanks! - Kate

Be Sure to check out my E-Store for great T-shirts, Hats, Bumper Stickers and
MORE at: http://www.cafeshops.com/bumperattack
Old January 20th 04, 05:39 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kates Saloon and Knife Emporium" wrote in message

Was the Grumman "Bearcat" ever flown off of aircraft carriers?

Yes.

Was it even flown by the Navy?

Yes.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/024502.jpg

Old January 20th 04, 10:07 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
"Kates Saloon and Knife Emporium" wrote
Was the Grumman "Bearcat" ever flown off of aircraft carriers?

Yes.

Was it even flown by the Navy?

Yes.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/024502.jpg

THANK YOU Mr. McNicoll !!!

Cheers! - Kate

Old January 21st 04, 03:07 AM
John R Weiss

"gizmo-goddard" wrote...

In fact, the Angels flew Grummans until the F-4
replaced the F-11F Tigers about 1969.

And they're still flying Grumman. Although the Tomcat is supposed to be on
it's way out eventually, it has served as the Navy's front-line fighter for
longer than any other aircraft.

Umm... The Blue Angels are flying the [pre-Boeing] McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18
Hornet. They never flew the F-14 Tomcat.

That means they've been flying McDonnell-Douglas since about 1969 -- F-4 -
A-4 - F/A-18!

Old January 21st 04, 03:29 AM
gizmo-goddard

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"gizmo-goddard" wrote...

In fact, the Angels flew Grummans until the F-4
replaced the F-11F Tigers about 1969.

And they're still flying Grumman. Although the Tomcat is supposed to be

on
it's way out eventually, it has served as the Navy's front-line fighter

for
longer than any other aircraft.

Umm... The Blue Angels are flying the [pre-Boeing] McDonnell-Douglas

F/A-18
Hornet. They never flew the F-14 Tomcat.

That means they've been flying McDonnell-Douglas since about 1969 --

F-4 -
A-4 - F/A-18!

My bad. I mis-read Orval's post and didn't recognized that it was limited to
the Blue Angels. I guess that I took the head fake because the original post
was about the Navy in general.

__!_!__
Gizmo

Old January 21st 04, 03:36 AM
Dave LaCourse

Gizmo writes:

The Bearcat was the second type flown by the Blue Algels -- the first
type was the Hellcat. In fact, the Angels flew Grummans until the F-4
replaced the F-11F Tigers about 1969.

And they're still flying Grumman. Although the Tomcat is supposed to be on
it's way out eventually, it has served as the Navy's front-line fighter for
longer than any other aircraft.

__!_!__
Gizmo

Hmmmm. I thought the Angels were flying F-18 Hornets.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old January 21st 04, 06:00 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

The Bearcat was the second type flown by the Blue Algels -- the first
type was the Hellcat. In fact, the Angels flew Grummans until the F-4
replaced the F-11F Tigers about 1969.

There was no Grumman F-11F. The Blue Angles flew the F-11A Tiger.

Old January 21st 04, 07:11 AM
Jack G

There was an F11F (but not an F-11F) Tiger until September 18,1962 when a
standard military designation system was adopted and the F11F-1 became the
F-11A.

Interestingly, the F11F or F-11A started as a derivative of the F9F and was
given the designation F9F-8 which was changed to F9F-9 when F9F-8 was
assigned to the later Cougars. In April, 1955 after the flight of two
prototypes and three production aircraft, the designation for the Tiger was
changed to F11F-1. In 1962 the DOD merged the Navy designation system into
the existing Air Force designation system which resulted in elimination of
the manufacturer designator and incorporation of a series letter (among
other changes).

The Blue Angels converted to F11F-1's in mid 1957 and were in Tigers until
1968.

Jack

(Basic reference: United States Navy Aircraft Since 1911 Gordon
Swanborough and Peter M Bowers)

ink.net...