Non-stop Atlantic crossing

Old August 27th 04, 03:51 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

but a particular product needs more years to prove itself than it has
had to date.

And how would that happen if everybody thought like you do?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 05:47 PM
Chris W

Paul Sengupta wrote:
http://ukga.com/news/view.cfm?contentId=2197

This article claims that it is 1,300 nautical miles from London to
St.John's. Is this accurate? Two different mapping programs I have
give the distance to be more like 2,000 nautical miles. Which one is
right, and if my software is wrong, does anyone know of any good
software that will give me accurate measures of distance between any 2
points on the globe?

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com

Old August 27th 04, 06:00 PM
gwengler

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
Peter,

. I just wish they got the
engine reliability sorted out.

Show me numbers that make the Thielert appear unreliable. I haven't
heard of ANY. But I'd be real interested.

D-ECAY, a C172R, has a Thielert Diesel installed. A detailed
"Dauertest" kann be found at www.pilotundflugzeug.de I don't think
Flight Training Cologne, the operator, is happy with the performance
for various reasons, mainly engine un-reliability, Thielert customer
support and systems integration. They will not solo students on that
airplane because of sudden partial power losses and will only charters
with experienced pilots up to 5000 ft. density altitude (from the
article). Perhaps it's not the engine itself but there are certainly
problems.

Gerd
ATPL
Old August 27th 04, 06:02 PM
Peter

Chris W wrote:

Paul Sengupta wrote:

http://ukga.com/news/view.cfm?contentId=2197

This article claims that it is 1,300 nautical miles from London to
St.John's. Is this accurate? Two different mapping programs I have
give the distance to be more like 2,000 nautical miles.

It looks right to me. Are you using the correct London? The flight
was from London, Ontario.

Old August 27th 04, 06:33 PM
Chris W

Peter wrote:

It looks right to me. Are you using the correct London? The flight
was from London, Ontario.

I was reading too fast. I had the wrong London. Those distances agree
with my software. BTW I am using Street Atlas USA 2004. While it
doesn't have any roads outside the USA/Canada it does have all the
country boundaries and major cities in the world.

Old August 27th 04, 08:10 PM
Ali Hopkins

"Chris W" wrote in message

I was reading too fast. I had the wrong London.

You don't happen to fly B-52's do you?

Ali

Old August 27th 04, 08:52 PM
Michael

"John Bishop" wrote
I don't think many flying schools would prosper if they advertised

"Come and train in the latest Thunderbird 1 aircraft, sporting the latest
technology and a great new diesel engine. (Disclaimer: This engine has not
been thoroughly tested. It may stop suddenly on final approach, or during
spin awareness training, or at any time. Also the glass cockit may fail
completely during IMC approaches. These events are completely normal and
WizzBang Flying Club cannot be held responsible for your death if this
happens)"

My experience working at a parachute school indicates you are
completely wrong about this. Whenever someone died parachuting and
the death made the local papers, the first jump classes were full for
weeks.

Any publicity is good publicity as long as they spell your name right.

BTW - what does it say about the value of certification if it doesn't
even assure reliability on the first production run?

Michael
Old August 27th 04, 08:55 PM
Michael

Thomas Borchert wrote
but there is
plenty of "certified" junk about.

I have to agree. Still, a certain level of reliability can be derived
from certification.

Really? Let's have some hard numbers. I don't believe you. And I'm
dead serious - I don't believe certification adds value (meaning
safety) - only cost.

Michael
Old August 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Graham Wilson

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:26:20 +0100, "John Bishop"
wrote:

"Come and train in the latest Thunderbird 1 aircraft, sporting the latest
technology and a great new diesel engine. (Disclaimer: This engine has not
been thoroughly tested. It may stop suddenly on final approach, or during
spin awareness training, or at any time. Also the glass cockit may fail
completely during IMC approaches. These events are completely normal and
WizzBang Flying Club cannot be held responsible for your death if this
happens)"

Great sales pitch!

Don't forget the Unfair Contract Terms Act (1977) - you can't exclude
liability for death or personal injury.

(:-)

Graham

Old August 27th 04, 10:35 PM
Graham Wilson

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:36:22 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

References? Who is Cabair? "Apparently" doesn't convince me, sorry.

I am familiar with Cabair. In the PA28, I open the little window for
cab air.

(:-)

Graham