CAP gridding

Old September 11th 05, 02:59 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default CAP gridding

I'm supposed to learn about dividing my sectional chart into search
grids. I have several CAP on-line publications but none show an actual
sectional. Does anyone have an online, scanned example of a properly
done sectional chart?

-Robert

Old September 11th 05, 07:11 AM
Hotel 179

Stephen F. Pearce
Foley, Alabama

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm supposed to learn about dividing my sectional chart into search
grids. I have several CAP on-line publications but none show an actual
sectional. Does anyone have an online, scanned example of a properly
done sectional chart?

-Robert

------------------------------reply-------------------------

Robert,

Are you looking here?
http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5591

The CAP grid system handout explains it....unless your Squadron is using the
old system of numbered squares. The new system is much easier and you don't
have to spend any time drawing lines on the chart....just look for the
numbers in the lower right hand corner of the grid that you are assigned,
and that's all there is to it. It's a little trickier when they say XXXXab.
There's a handout for finding that one also.

Semper vi.,

Stephen

Old September 11th 05, 06:06 PM
Kevin Dunlevy

The easy way to do gridding is to purchase gridded sectionals on line at:

http://www2.bitstream.net/~storius/gridded.html I bought several from here
for about $35 each. I laminated one set for mission base and kept the other
folded for used in the plane

Old September 12th 05, 07:07 AM
Chris G.

Hmm.... for $35/each, I can buy 4 regular sectionals, a pen, and a
straightedge. Then, I can mark them myself for nothing. Sorry, but
that's a LOT of money for a single chart that is going to be out of date
in about 6 months (or less).

Chris

Old September 12th 05, 07:23 AM
Sylvain

Chris G. wrote:
Hmm.... for $35/each, I can buy 4 regular sectionals, a pen, and a
straightedge. Then, I can mark them myself for nothing. Sorry, but
that's a LOT of money for a single chart that is going to be out of date
in about 6 months (or less).

the gridded charts you carry do not need to be current (i.e., do
not need to be the ones you are using for navigation), so you can keep
using them beyond the expiration date; now of course, mark them as
such to avoid confusion (and to avoid throwing them away by mistake
like I did recently while tidying up my flying gear :-))

--Sylvain
Old September 12th 05, 08:21 AM
Peter Duniho

"Sylvain" wrote in message
the gridded charts you carry do not need to be current

His point is still valid. What's so complicated about gridding that is
justifies spending nearly $30 additional just for a pre-gridded sectional?

Old September 12th 05, 10:09 PM
Hotel 179

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
His point is still valid. What's so complicated about gridding that is
justifies spending nearly $30 additional just for a pre-gridded sectional?

CAP has gone to a new system that does not use the numbered grids....

Semper vi.,

Stephen

Old September 12th 05, 11:14 PM
Sylvain

Peter Duniho wrote:

His point is still valid. What's so complicated about gridding that is
justifies spending nearly $30 additional just for a pre-gridded sectional?

depends on how much you value your time; same reason why I
call a plumber or bring my car to the mechanics or have
someone else kill my food, etc. things which I could very
well do myself, but don't bother doing. Call me lazy if
you must :-)

--Sylvain
Old September 13th 05, 12:09 AM
Peter Duniho

"Sylvain" wrote in message
depends on how much you value your time

You must get paid VERY well to justify spending $30 for what appears to be 5
minutes work.

Old September 13th 05, 05:01 AM
Robert M. Gary

Our squadron still requires old style gridding. Perhaps its just a
right-of-passage.

-Robert