GTX-330 Question

Old February 28th 04, 05:43 PM
smackey

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote in message ...
Don't know where your located but Carolina Avionics in Salisbury, NC can put
a GNS530 for the price of a 430. There at RUQ. I'm looking at the 330 as
an add later.

No, I don't work for him. Just passing along a pirep.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Victor,
Thanks for this tip; I'm going to check it out. How can they do it,
though? Is this one of those too good to be true things? Is there
room in the margin between their cost and the final customer price to
make it cost feasible for them? Please understand, I don't question
your veracity; in fact, I'm contacting them ASAP. I'm in Montana, but
actually have reason to fly back to NC this summer anyway, and could
manage it!
Old March 1st 04, 03:34 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I bought my first A36 Bonanza from "George" the Bonanza Man in Salisbury. A
real expert w/ Beech products. He recommended I give Carolina Av. a shot,
as they were on the field. The results were good.

Long Story Short, I crashed that plane Feb 2003. Next plane had the same
quotes from two different shops, same results. A 530 for same price as the
other shop quoted for a 430. Carolina Av. said they would rather install
the 530 as it has a little more function, more viewing real-estate and
better up sell due to the better product. I guess they don't have the
overhead of some other shops. I have no complaints on either install or the
support.

BTW I called 3 other owners as references about the GTX330 and these folks
spoke highly of their products and relationship w/ Carolina.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

Old March 1st 04, 09:32 PM
JerryK

"smackey" wrote in message
m...
I'm thinking of getting a GNS 430 and the GTX 330 put in my plane. I
have a couple of questions that I would really like some answers to:

1. My aero radio people tell me that they think the GTX 330 display
is always up on the map. I.e., I can't declutter or eliminate it if I
want to, say while flying an instrument approach and not really
needing/wanting the mode-s traffic info on the screen. True?

I believe this correct, but I have not tried to remove the traffic.

2. I assume that the traffic warning in the mode-s will not alert to
traffic if I'm not in a mode-s area, and/or there are aircraft only
only squaking mode-c or other. In other words, if I'm fling along out
in the hinterlands (a frequent occurance) where there is no mode-s,
the traffic warning is nonexistent!! Wouldn't I do just as well with
a portable Monroy, or similar, traffic alerter?

It only where the TIS service is provided. Otherwise you are back to where
you are now. The Monroy and other units will work in non-TIS areas with
aircraft with an operating transponder. However, unless you move up to the
more expensive units (Ryan and BF Goodrich) you do not get relative bearing,
just distance and relative altitude. Much better than nothing, but bearing
would be so much nicer.

jerry

Old March 3rd 04, 12:24 AM
John Galban

"JerryK" wrote in message ...
snip
The Monroy and other units will work in non-TIS areas with
aircraft with an operating transponder.

That's mostly true. It will work if someone is interrogating the
other plane's transponders. This usually means an area that has radar
coverage, or lots of TCAS equipped traffic.

I still fly in many areas out here in the west where I don't see the
reply light flash on my transponder for long periods of time.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 3rd 04, 01:21 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"JerryK" wrote in message

snip
The Monroy and other units will work in non-TIS areas with
aircraft with an operating transponder.

That's mostly true. It will work if someone is interrogating the
other plane's transponders. This usually means an area that has radar
coverage, or lots of TCAS equipped traffic.

I still fly in many areas out here in the west where I don't see the
reply light flash on my transponder for long periods of time.

I regularly fly from Denver to Rapid City and it's not unusual to have a
blank transponder light for 80% of the trip.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)