Airbus article

Old October 2nd 05, 03:35 AM
George Patterson

Default Airbus article

Those of you who can lay hands on a copy of the November Atlantic Monthly should
check out P.J. O'Rourke's article on the A-380. Short sample ...

"The U.S. House of Representatives, the Senate, the president, the
vice-president, the Cabinet, two swing-voting Supreme Court justices, and Karl
Rove can all fly together in an A380. (Maybe *that* statistic will create some
popular excitement, if they fly far enough away.)"

As always, O'Rourke is informative. And hilarious.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 2nd 05, 03:41 AM

Hmmm... can't decide if that's a plug for the A380 or a swipe...

Old October 2nd 05, 05:03 AM
JohnH

George Patterson wrote:
Those of you who can lay hands on a copy of the November Atlantic
Monthly should check out P.J. O'Rourke's article on the A-380. Short
sample ...
"The U.S. House of Representatives, the Senate, the president, the
vice-president, the Cabinet, two swing-voting Supreme Court justices,
and Karl Rove can all fly together in an A380. (Maybe *that*
statistic will create some popular excitement, if they fly far enough
away.)"
As always, O'Rourke is informative. And hilarious.

I for one will pitch in for the one way ticket to somewhere far away.

Old October 2nd 05, 01:38 PM
Matt Whiting

George Patterson wrote:

Those of you who can lay hands on a copy of the November Atlantic
Monthly should check out P.J. O'Rourke's article on the A-380. Short
sample ...

"The U.S. House of Representatives, the Senate, the president, the
vice-president, the Cabinet, two swing-voting Supreme Court justices,
and Karl Rove can all fly together in an A380. (Maybe *that* statistic
will create some popular excitement, if they fly far enough away.)"

As always, O'Rourke is informative. And hilarious.

Except that this time O'Rourke is neither.

Matt
Old October 3rd 05, 03:57 AM
Marco Leon

Off-topic political rant. Should be labeled accordingly.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 3rd 05, 04:48 AM
George Patterson

Marco Leon wrote:
Off-topic political rant. Should be labeled accordingly.

Not intended as such. Let's try this one.

'"Look over to your left," Peter said.
"But it's like the joystick on an Atari game," I said.
"Yep," Peter saID.
"Could you fly one of these?" I asked. "I mean, and land it?"
"Yep," Peter said. "The computers do all the work."
And there were a lot of computers -- eight LCD screens. They showed ....
well, they showed lots of things.
"I've never played Atari," I said.
Debra explained that the A380 has essentially the same computer hardware
and, essentially the same cockpit as all other Airbus aircraft, from the
107-seat A318 on up.
"So you just build a plane," I said, "and the cockpit plugs in like a
memory stick."
"I don't think we put it that way in the promotional literature," Debra
said.'

Old October 3rd 05, 04:40 PM
Marco Leon

And the fact that they both have an A380 as part of the text makes it
on-topic?

1st post was still an off-topic political rant and the second one was just
an off-topic rant. I guess your tagline explains it all. Sorry I interfered
with your stupor.

Old October 3rd 05, 09:11 PM

Marco Leon (at) wrote:
And the fact that they both have an A380 as part of the text makes it
on-topic?

1st post was still an off-topic political rant and the second one was just
an off-topic rant. I guess your tagline explains it all. Sorry I interfered
with your stupor.

Well, it is primarily about an airplane so I'd say that it's a stretch
to call it off-topic. Political? None of George's posts or the quotes
are flamebait. I'd say you're the one wide of the mark here.

-cwk.