Battery for gliders

Old January 13th 05, 04:19 AM
Michael McNulty

" wrote in message
snip
If you want a better comparison, find the curves and compare them. And the
weights.
And the size. You might be surprised to find that there is little
difference
in the
capacities. Chemistry is chemistry.

Chemistry determines the voltage, but the capacity is set by geometry and
design details. I know that Eagle-Picher has been working on inovative
woven mat designs to increase the capactiy of SLA batteries; perhaps the
unusually high capacity battery (for its size) cited earlier in this thread
uses this technology.

snip

Old January 14th 05, 12:21 AM

Udo,

After 20 years on a 12-volt system, I've returned to 14 volts,
completely eliminating all problems with battery life. I'm using the PS
12/8 with a 2 volt piggy back. I am very happy with the results. Like
Ken, I purchase my batteries from ragebattery.

Old January 14th 05, 03:32 AM
Nyal Williams

Several questions about this thread.

1. How does one piggyback (physical sense) a 2 volt
batter on top of the twelve in a well (i.e. Discus)
that clamps securely around the 12v battery?

2. How does one identify the dimensions of all the
various 12v. batteries offered by ragebatteries? (I
just looked at the site suggested two posts back on
this thread.)

3. Has anyone ever manufactured a 14v. battery that
would be usable?

Old January 14th 05, 03:53 AM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

The rage site has a physical data sheet for each battery ... or you
could go to the manufacturers site to see dimensions of the entire
line.

Old January 14th 05, 07:36 PM
Tim Mara

I used to offer Eagle Picher batteries.......the spec's looked impressive
but honestly I had more complaints with these than all other types I offered
and ended up replacing more and more often than others....finally elected
not to continue with this brand and offer now just Powersonic
batteries.......these are low cost and have proven to be excellent.
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Bob Fidler" wrote in message
Eagle Picher Model No. CF-12V9
1-800-201-0215 or

I purchased from a local battery store in Michigan:
Batteries Plus 248-644-0666

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Bob Fidler wrote:

EaglePicher has a 9A same sixe as a 7A, cost me about $20.

Can you give the model number and where you bought it? The only Eagle
Picher I can find that is the same size as the usual 7 AH is also 7.2

AH.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old January 14th 05, 08:22 PM

Nyal,

A picture would be best, but here's the narrative. I use hook locks (a
substantial step up from velcro) to mate the batteries. I place the
back (based on brand position) of the 2V against the terminal end of
the 12V about 1 inch above the bottom. This provides clearance at the
front of the battery tray and puts the 2V terminals slightly above the
12V terminals. I then use strapping tape to secure the attachment
between the hook and lock pads. I tested this arrangement by placing
both batteries in the tray of my Ventus 2 while trailering several
hundred miles. It has proven more than adequate. I inspect the bond
regularly and have found no weakening. Wiring is in series. Be sure to
include a fuse. If you have a strong interest, I'll be happy to forward
a photo. My wife uses the same set up in her LS-8. The 14V system has
dramatically improved the transmission quality and strength of her
Microair radio.

I am finding I can fly about 7 hours per 14V battery before I'm seeing
14.3V. I generally start the flight around 15.1V. I run an SN-10 with
one analog, Dittel FSG-2T, Cambridge Model 25 Data logger and read out,
a flap position LED, and gear warning.

With a 12V system, my SN-10 would start giving me voltage warning
around 4 hours and my radio would become discerably less reliable.

The PowerSonic model numbers are PS-1280 (12V) and PS-260 (2V). Rage
doesn't appear to carry the 1280 anymore. Try W&W.

Old January 14th 05, 10:42 PM
Nyal Williams

I would appreciate the photo very much. There are
no gimmicks in my address. .

One further concern is whether 15.1v be too much for
my Volkslogger? I believe the L-Nav and the Dittel
radio would take it ok. I'll check that out, but I
believe the specs say that it will handle up to 20v.

Thanks!

Nyal

Old January 15th 05, 02:52 AM
Z Goudie

At 23:30 14 January 2005, Nyal Williams wrote:
One further concern is whether 15.1v be too much for
my Volkslogger? I believe the L-Nav and the Dittel
radio would take it ok. I'll check that out, but I
believe the specs say that it will handle up to 20v.

The power supply to my Volkslogger when downloading/uploading
it at home shows 16+ volts without any apparent problem.

Old January 16th 05, 09:57 AM
tango4

Colibri Loggers and LX vario avionics get very unpredictable over 16 volts
( in spite of what the original manuals said - up to 24v iirc ) I had a
Colibri reading over 75000 feet amsl whilst on the runway.

Ian