Flying into Chass B

Old October 29th 04, 03:28 AM
C Kingsbury

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
PaulaJay1 wrote:

I've filed the NASA form. By the way, what does that get me?

It gets you protection from being prosecuted (not sure if that's the
right legal word) for your accidental clearance bust, assuming the FAA
were to initiate any action.

It doesn't prevent them from violating you, it simply means that if they
investigate and find you at fault they can't actually take action against
your certificate. In other words, you don't lose your license, but you
record will (permanently or temporarily as the case may be) reflect the
results of the investigation. In other words, it doesn't prevent them from
finding you guilty, it just means you won't go to jail.

-cwk.

Old October 29th 04, 04:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
In article . net, "Steven
P.
McNicoll" writes:

Who does your GTX330 report your N number to?

I assumed that it is transmitted back with altitude and code. Good
question
about it being available to controller. As a controller, what do you know
about it being displayed at your end?

At my end the aircraft callsign, which can be an N-number or air carrier
flight number or military callsign, is displayed only when the ARTS computer
can associate it with a discrete ATC assigned squawk code.

Old October 29th 04, 05:01 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Clark" wrote in message

I don't think they do directly report the N number, but doesn't the
installer-coded Mode S octal code get downllinked to ATC whenever a
mode-s enabled ground interrogator paints it, regardless of the unit's
user-selectable "flight id" or 4096 code setting, thus effectively
downlinking the N number because of a trivial database lookup?

Beats the hell out of me. The only time I get a callsign displayed is when
the aircraft is squawking an ATC assigned beacon code and the ARTS computer
associates that code to a specified callsign.

Old October 29th 04, 03:42 PM
Allen

"Peter R." wrote in message
Allen ) wrote:

I would guess the aircraft you are receiving the info from would have to
have mode S.

Well, I have only had the unit since July, so I suppose it is possible
that I have yet to look at the screen at the moment a mode S transponder
passed by.

But, the chances should have been pretty good that during the last eight
times through NY class B airspace I would have seen one mode S return,
no?

--
Peter

All I know is it was displaying "N" numbers, and they were accurate. The
airplane has been delivered so I can't see if he had additional equipment
installed that allowed that.

Allen

Old October 29th 04, 03:51 PM
Peter R.

Allen ) wrote:

All I know is it was displaying "N" numbers, and they were accurate. The
airplane has been delivered so I can't see if he had additional equipment
installed that allowed that.

I was not questioning your observation. I was simply stating that I do
not see it in my installation, that's all.

Was the display cluttered with all that info? Were you able to quickly
garner the pertinent traffic information, such as direction and relative
altitude, with the N number mixed in?

I do not see the value in having the N number displayed, but perhaps
there is some reason for it I am missing.

--
Peter

Old October 29th 04, 04:29 PM
Dave

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message link.net...

Who does your GTX330 report your N number to?

It's in the response data stream sent back to ATC from the GTX-330.
However, ask any controller at any major Class B facility, and it's
unlikely they're actually showing it (if their equipment even is
updated to receive it).
Old October 29th 04, 04:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

Who does your GTX330 report your N number to?

It's in the response data stream sent back to ATC from the GTX-330.
However, ask any controller at any major Class B facility, and it's
unlikely they're actually showing it (if their equipment even is
updated to receive it).

So what's the point in sending it to ATC?

Old October 29th 04, 04:36 PM
Allen

"Peter R." wrote in message
Allen ) wrote:

All I know is it was displaying "N" numbers, and they were accurate.

The
airplane has been delivered so I can't see if he had additional

equipment
installed that allowed that.

I was not questioning your observation. I was simply stating that I do
not see it in my installation, that's all.

Was the display cluttered with all that info? Were you able to quickly
garner the pertinent traffic information, such as direction and relative
altitude, with the N number mixed in?

I do not see the value in having the N number displayed, but perhaps
there is some reason for it I am missing.

--
Peter

I had the screen de-cluttered (nav info off). I do recall now that this
airplane had an active datalink, it was showing thunderstorm watch boxes in
my area. Perhaps the info was coming from ATC or a flight tracking vendor.
The screen would update fast enough you could see the other airplane's
position in the pattern and then the collision avoidance alert would go off
as he got near.

Allen

Old October 29th 04, 05:03 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

So what's the point in sending it to ATC?

There was considerable suspicion in the aviation community back in the early 90s that
the FAA planned to require ATC to display the info and report violators once all
aircraft were required to have mode-S transponders. That requirement kept getting
postponed and seems to have finally died (for now, at least). Personally, I believe
that the suspicions were correct and controllers would be doing more police work now
if the FAA had its way.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 29th 04, 05:13 PM
PaulaJay1

In article .net, "Steven P.
McNicoll" writes:

It's in the response data stream sent back to ATC from the GTX-330.
However, ask any controller at any major Class B facility, and it's
unlikely they're actually showing it (if their equipment even is
updated to receive it).

So what's the point in sending it to ATC?

I know a good reason NOT to send it! :-(

Chuck